How To Copy songs from your iPod to your hard drive

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

gabe90

I want someone to address Skip's question about a Mac ipod that needs to be backed up onto a PC. I'm having that same problem right now (just moved back home from college), and its driving me crazy. Is there a solution anyone can think of? I don't know anyone here that has a Mac, so coppying my files to a mac and transfering isn't really an option. Thanks.

podio

Why are you reading this?
i used podutil and it shows i have 798 songs but in the my music folder i copy them too theres only 655?whats up?

AndyH

gabe90 said:
I want someone to address Skip's question about a Mac ipod that needs to be backed up onto a PC. I'm having that same problem right now (just moved back home from college), and its driving me crazy. Is there a solution anyone can think of? I don't know anyone here that has a Mac, so coppying my files to a mac and transfering isn't really an option. Thanks.
If I understand you correctly, you had a Mac at college that you used to load music onto your iPod. If that's true, then chances are your iPod is Mac-formatted and thus will not be readable on a PC without a third-party application. MacOpener is the only one that I'm aware of:
http://www.dataviz.com/products/macopener/

Looking at this page on their site...
http://www.dataviz.com/products/macopener/mo_ephpod.html?redirect=mo_ephpod_info
...it mentions that "EphPod download includes a 15 day free trial of MacOpener". I'm not sure if it's fully-functional for those 15 days or not, but this might be a solution for you to get the music off your iPod and onto your PC without actually purchasing MacOpener.

dearvid

new computer

I've been trying to piece together what i should do about my situation from previous posts but I can't find a proper answer so I thought I'd post a specific question. I've got a 20gb 3g ipod and i've been using musicmatch on my dad's computer. working ok except a large number of tunes did disappear early on. I've just bought my own computer so I want to put all my tunes on to there, so I thought the best way would be to take them off my ipod. Reading the posts above this would seem possible, but everyone also seems to be suggesting that iTunes is the way forward. So my question ius this.....how should i go about taking all my tunes (about 10gb) off my ipod onto my new computer and should i switch to iTunes? Would appreciate as many posts as possible.

Thanks for your help

First, download some 3rd party software like iPod Agent 0.7.0 (www.ipodsoft.com/ipodagent.aspx) to remove the songs from your iPod back to your computer. After transfer, you can download iTunes and transfer the songs into the library. Do not download iTunes first, it has a default setting to auto sync the iPod and that will delete all of your music off of the iPod.

zena

maybe im imagining things but im sure i read somthing that said that if you load it as a firewire drive (by pressing <<- and ->> buttons down) you can copy music to your hd
maybe just me tho :confused:

reddog0051

podio said:
i used podutil and it shows i have 798 songs but in the my music folder i copy them too theres only 655?whats up?
I'm having that same sort of problem too. I have 947 songs on my iPod. iPodAgent only exported 799. :mad:

chrlyangel

I need to reformat my hard drive. I have all my music on my Ipod and want to download the songs to my hard drive after I reformat my computer.

Based on what I have read here, all I need to do is show hidden files and folders, connect ipod, download the contents of one of the folders where the files are like "FFF..".

Q: How do I then get them into itunes and how are they named? How does it know what the files are?

Another way, I am gathering, is to install PodUtil 2.5, connect my ipod, and then download all the music off the ipod. Is that correct? If so, this sounds like a much easier way.

Please advise as I have the 40GB iPod.

Thanks,

[email protected]

ed_rock

ok here we go, I'll post the events in chronological order:
1. I live in England but I went to see my aunt and uncle in America last July.
2. Whilst I was over there I bought a brand new 4G 20GB ipod with the click wheel.
3. I downloaded the itunes software on my uncle's computer in America.
4. I downloaded about 60 songs for about $55 so I had something to listen to on the plane ride home.
5. Today, my new computer arrived and I installed itunes on it and re-registered my ipod.
6. I looked on this thread and saw that podutil would allow me to put the tracks already on my ipod onto my hard drive.
7. I downloaded podutil with itunes open and my ipod plugged in.
8. After I installed podutil, I opened the program and have since discovered that all of the files which I downloaded from itunes in america onto my uncle's computer in America have now gone.

At which point in the above did my song files get erased from my ipod. They are not on my computer as I have tried a windows search for some of the artists.

So what can I do, if I get my uncle to burn a cd of the song files which are still on his computer can I reload them onto my ipod?

Is there anyway I can retrieve them from my ipod?

I am completely stuck and, as you can imagine, pretty ####ed off that I have lost $55 worth of song files. Please help I'm begging you, thanks Ed

Ed_rock your songs are gone. get your uncle to burn them to a CD and send them to you. Import them onto the computer and reload your iPod.

You should have put the iPod on "manually manage songs and playlist" and back up the purchased songs to a CD and took them with you.

If you plan on putting songs on your iPod and not backing them up or not keep them on you HD, then put the iPod on manual (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61131). This way the iPod will not be erased.

The songs on the HD will require a recovery program. It may be cheaper to get the disk from your uncle. This will only cost postage. Whenever you buy songs that are downloads always burn them to a disk after download is complete.

jgdminn

get ipod agent:

http://www.ipodsoft.com/ipodagent.aspx

for xfering from your ipod to a pc .... its very easy, and its actually freeware! .... also it lets ya make a listing, in either text or html mode, of all the stuff on the ipod .. not bad for a freeware program ... i recommend you give it a try .... i will probably still by anapod some day though ...

john
:D

roliver

I am trying to copy my files from a 40G ipod to my itunes using the PodUtil I downloaded after reading your posting. I get a message that there is no ipod mounted, if mounted set itunes for disk mode. I have searched the help files with itunes and PodUtil and cannot find how to perform this change.
Do you know how to do this?
roliver

AndyH

Rossco said:
What does mounting and unmounting the iPod mean?
Mount = have the iPod appear on the desktop as a volume (i.e., a hard drive).

Unmount = "eject" the volume from the computer.

Rossco

Cheers Andy! Got it all sorted now. Was just backing up all my files on my iPod before I reformat my hard-disc on the PC.

sschwartz

Windows - I have moved ITunes to an external drive "F" from the original "C". I think at one time this drive came up as "E". Anyway I am not sure that the "Library" and the "iPod" are in sync as I occasionally get a "song can't be found" in the library when I try to play it.

Is there a way to check the "syncronization" and see if every song on the iPod is in Library and vice versa?

Stu