Ipod overheating?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

axp

Please choose the appropriate forum for this topic. Thank you. Hi,

I got an Ipod last week. A 3rd gen 20gig. I think I wont need more than 20gig space :) Its one sik looking mp3 playa.

One small thing about it is when it is chargin on the dock and is also connected to my PC (via USB), I think the hard drive is constantly spinning? Is this true? If yes, is this bad?

The back of my ipod also warms up a bit when transferring songs and stuff...

Thanks

robrobdoe

Website
A bit of warmth is normally fine. Since the iPod doesn't have a fan, the metal back is the only way for it to transfer heat to its surroundings. However, never charge it in a case, because then it might overheat.

armless

Extreme Member
put your ear up to it, if it is spinning, then make sure to turn disk mode off. but warmth is just normal... especially when doing large file transfers.

VanillaGorilla

I thought charging in a case was all right and it was the large files transfers that you shouldn't do with a case on ... ? Charging doesn't seem to generate nearly as much heat as the transfers do, but maybe it's just me.:confused:

AndyH

VanillaGorilla said:
I thought charging in a case was all right and it was the large files transfers that you shouldn't do with a case on ... ? Charging doesn't seem to generate nearly as much heat as the transfers do, but maybe it's just me.:confused:
Well, Apple's official stance is that it shouldn't be in a case during charging or syncing. Personally, I always charge mine in it's Showcase but I do remove it from the case if I'm transferring several hundred+ songs from iTunes to the iPod (rare for me). My normal daily syncs usually just transfer approx. 30 songs from iTunes to my iPod...I don't bother removing the iPod from the case for these short transfers (I'm using firewire).

lect

so is it ok to charge the iPod while it is synced to a computer via firewire? it seems to generate a generous amount of heat when it is plugged in

AndyH

lect said:
so is it ok to charge the iPod while it is synced to a computer via firewire? it seems to generate a generous amount of heat when it is plugged in
I do it all the time, but my iPod never gets hot...just a little warm.

Are you ejecting your iPod? Sounds like it's still "mounted" on your computer which will spin the hard drive, and will generate a lot more heat.

tanakasan

Mech FX Tech
I have a 3G/20gb in an iSkin Exo2.

I always leave it on. Transfer 3900+ song library, whatever. Sure it gets warm, but I think its Apple's warranty department getting extra cautious about repair issues.

Heck its under warranty for 1 year. better to break it now if its going to go!

Jus my .02

McTex

I charge mine (15 gig) with the "skin" on for 8 hours... no worries thus far. I think the key here is when you are done transferring files and/or charging, unplug/undock/unhook ..... i.e. disconnect it from the computer / ac outlet.

Bkbro429

**(The fix it at the bottom!)**
I had the same problem with my brand new 3 day old 15 GB iPod.

I was copying contacts and calendar fiels (vcard,vcal) from Palm Desktop. (I use Windows XP with USB 2.0). Anyway, when I clicked the "safely remove hardware icon" in the system tray, it would not let me eject the iPod (which is obviously enabled as an external hard disk). It gave me a message saying: "the generic volume for this device is in use, try to un-mount later". I then went into iTunes 4.5 to try to eject it thinking that this would work. Instead, I got another message saying: "iPod can't be ejected right now because it is use files that another open program is accessing." So i figured this was because of Palm Desktop, I closed Palm Desktop, and then it un-mounted correctly. Now, I went into the iPod extras menu to see the changes. As soon as I went into Contacts, the screen said: Contacts 17 loaded. Then the hdd started to spin very loudly and it would not stop. Also the battery was draining fast, and the back was getting very hot. It did this while I listened to music, did anything else with it, and when I charged it. I knew something was wrong. So I went to ipodlounge.com and apple.com to read the ###'s... nothing. So I did a reset until I saw the Appel logo... nothing. Then for the fix.
-----------------
**THE FIX:**
-----------------
1. Make SURE you back up everything on your iPod into iTunes, and that your music library is on your computer.
2. Go to Apple.com and download the latest firmware update: 2004-4-28 (version 2.2). Download the updater application for either Mac or Windows.
3. If your iPod already has v.2.2 then thats ok, connect your iPod to your PC or Mac. If iTunes is set to automatically open and update iPod, let it do so.
4. After the update is complete, close iTunes, but leave your iPod connected.
5. Locate the iPod Updater Application (v.2.2) on your computer. Open it and click Restore. This will delete everything off of your iPod and return it to the factory defualt when you bought it.
6. Once this update installs on your iPod, the next time you turn it on, no more hot battery, no hard drive noise. Its like new. All you have to do is just put your music on it and you are ready to go. Enjoy!
----------------------

Starboard

lect said:
I don't think you have any choice about it. when the iPod is hooked up via firewire to a computer, it is charging.

At first I thought you mean having the iPod hooked up firewire and to an AC outlet, which I don't see how that happens.