iPhone X keeps shutting down!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

karna68

So last week my phone froze up. I plugged it in then got the spinning wheel of death. Did a force restart on it and got it back up and running. Same thing happened again the next day. Odd that both times is when I came in to work it happened. So it was fine all weekend then what happens when I come in to work? My phone totally dies! So I fire up itunes and it is recognizing my phone so I do a back up because force restart isn't working so I'm thinking I have to restore. Well now I don't remember my encryption password! I only use a handful of passwords and tried each one and nothing is working. Are there any password recovery programs that are safe?

ETA-iTunes and iOS are up to date.

cjmnews

Staff member
Apple used to do this correctly, and tell you tough, if you forgot the password, then you can't restore. You would have to back up to iCloud, and restore from, that. This was perfect in my mind. No one could could get into your backups.

In iOS 11, they made a change that will make you happy.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205220

You can’t restore an encrypted backup without its password. With iOS 11 or later, you can make a new encrypted backup of your device by resetting the password. Here’s what to do:
1. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Reset.
2. Tap Reset All Settings and enter your iOS passcode.
3. Follow the steps to reset your settings. This won’t affect your user data or passwords, but it will reset settings like display brightness, Home screen layout, and wallpaper. It also removes your encrypted backup password.
4. Connect your device to iTunes again and create a new encrypted backup.

You won’t be able to use previous encrypted backups, but you can back up your current data using iTunes and setting a new backup password.

What this means though is an attacker with access to your phone can create an encrypted backup using their own password, and get access to any passwords, credit card data and health data stored on that phone. Not good security, but makes it easier for forgetful people that don't use password managers. Remember that you can force the phone to use a passcode with 5 presses of the sleep/wake button.