iLounge Forums - View Single Post - Wireless Headphones-- What's out there?
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 09:32 PM

sallenmd
Senior Lounger

New Sony WH1000XM3

I replaced my Bose QC-35 II with the new Sony WH1000XM3. Cost $350. IMO, the active noise cancellation is a bit better than Bose and the sound is substantially better. Taking them on a plane for the first time tomorrow. That's the true test of NC. Battery life is quite a bit longer, which will come in handy on my international flights, such as to Australia and Singapore.

I recently used my iPhone to measure the sound level when flying, which I do a lot. In the front of a Boeing 717 (engines in rear) at cruising altitude/speed, it was 87 dB. Sustained, that level is harmful.

I do not miss the headphone jack at all. BT works great and no cord to deal with, which is especially hand on a plane. I can leave my phone in my seat and go to the restroom while still listening to music rather than airplane noise,

Nearly 30 years ago, I was in the Air Force. Those planes (C-141, C-5, KC-135) had no sound insulation in the passenger cabin. Everyone wore earplugs. When transporting ill babies, it was completely impossible to hear their hearts or lungs with a stethoscope.