Wireless Headphones-- What's out there?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

viper69

I'm not a fan of losing the headphone jack at all!

From the little I know, it seems Apple's wireless solution is the best out there, but at a high price.

Are they in fact the best? They seem to allow the user to have the most control of features w/out interfacing w/the phone as much as other brands, at least when they were first released.

Is the above true? If not, what some other good options?

cjmnews

Staff member
The iPhone X, Xs Xr and Xs Max all will ship with Lightning plug headphones that work just fine. Also the Lightning to standard headphone dongle is $9 from Apple (a bit much if you ask me, but not too high to afford).

Use of the lightning port for headphone is not great as you can't charge and listen. If you want to do that then Wireless is your option. The $160 AirPods are an option.

I like over the ear noise cancellation as I fly a lot. These get pricey too, mine are wired, but there are bluetooth options that you can use.
Bose QuietComfort 35 (Series II) $350
AKG Noise Canceling Headphone Black (N60) $170
Sennheiser PXC 550 Wireless $290
Sennheiser HD 4.50 $200
Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones WH1000XM2 $300
Beats Solo3 $300 (I only see used ones on Amazon, so beware of fakes)

There are non-noise cancelling ones like
Over Ear - Jabra Move $100
In Ear - Bose SoundSport $149

viper69

Thanks a lot for replying. You consistently provide prompt and excellent info. I feel if you weren't around, the forum would crumble.

Have you tried Sony's latest version? I heard they much better, and the ones to beat even better than Bose.

The primary use I want them for is traveling on a plane. I don't know much sound this technology blocks out, and I've heard some models put out a hiss sound of sorts.

As far as non-noise cancelling. I saw this review, wondering how good they are

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/jabra-elite-65t-true-wireless-earbuds

I'm not a fan of bluetooth wireless based on the reviews I've read so far. Seems many models lose connection, or there's latency at times, seems quite susceptible to interference by your body blocking the signal too.

cjmnews

Staff member
A lot of coworkers I fly with use the Sony ones. I have not asked them about it. Let me see if I can query some people this week.

There are also a lot with the Bose, one guy swore by them as the best they have ever owned.

The low end noise cancelling definitely have the hiss, which is why I tended to the higher priced models.

As for the Jabra Elite 65t, they may block the noise, but they don't seem to have noise cancelling. This is kind of like my Shure headphones that are like ear plugs for blocking some outside sound. The review sounds good for a home or office environment. I am doubtful of their effectiveness on a plane.

Bluetooth is a technology with lots of issues. The different versions are not necessarily compatible with each other, and you have to make sure your iPhone supports the standard the headphones support. Even then, we have Apple screwing things up where their Bluetooth gets "upgraded" and no longer can interact with current devices. It really upsets me that my iPhone 6 running iOS 10 could communicate with my 2012 car just fine, but iOS 11 on an iPhone X falls flat on it's face (...your phone does not support wireless voice commands from the car and my Plantronics headphones). At least I can talk over Bluetooth (headphones and car) if I look at the phone and make it do the call. Handsfree is broken, reported, and their 2 attempts to resolve it has failed.

Honestly you should not get a signal block with your body, this is radio, not line of sight. Latency should be expected, and I believe that video players should have options to delay the video by subseconds to match the audio. Disconnects should be rare, unless one end or the other is a cheap implementation.

I have not been impressed with Bluetooth audio, so I have stuck with wired for now, plus the plane I use still prohibits Bluetooth mid-flight, but does not notice the dozen people using Bluetooth.

viper69

A lot of coworkers I fly with use the Sony ones. I have not asked them about it. Let me see if I can query some people this week.

There are also a lot with the Bose, one guy swore by them as the best they have ever owned.

The low end noise cancelling definitely have the hiss, which is why I tended to the higher priced models.

As for the Jabra Elite 65t, they may block the noise, but they don't seem to have noise cancelling. This is kind of like my Shure headphones that are like ear plugs for blocking some outside sound. The review sounds good for a home or office environment. I am doubtful of their effectiveness on a plane.

Bluetooth is a technology with lots of issues. The different versions are not necessarily compatible with each other, and you have to make sure your iPhone supports the standard the headphones support. Even then, we have Apple screwing things up where their Bluetooth gets "upgraded" and no longer can interact with current devices. It really upsets me that my iPhone 6 running iOS 10 could communicate with my 2012 car just fine, but iOS 11 on an iPhone X falls flat on it's face (...your phone does not support wireless voice commands from the car and my Plantronics headphones). At least I can talk over Bluetooth (headphones and car) if I look at the phone and make it do the call. Handsfree is broken, reported, and their 2 attempts to resolve it has failed.

Honestly you should not get a signal block with your body, this is radio, not line of sight. Latency should be expected, and I believe that video players should have options to delay the video by subseconds to match the audio. Disconnects should be rare, unless one end or the other is a cheap implementation.

I have not been impressed with Bluetooth audio, so I have stuck with wired for now, plus the plane I use still prohibits Bluetooth mid-flight, but does not notice the dozen people using Bluetooth.
Thanks CJ, I look forward to your information from your friends. True on the Jabra 65ts, I was only thinking about them for basic earphones MAYBE.

Didn't know that info regarding bluetooth communication you mentioned- so much for newer being better and tech making life easier.

Yea I have some wireless speakers, they are not run off bluetooth at all, not interested for the reasons mentioned- sound quality.

My Shure's do a decent job on a plane, but I'd like to get rid of that last bit of plane hum/noise and people noise too. Hence my research into active, and not passive.

Now if only Apple would make cables w/plastic covering that would last more than 1 year, instead of degrading.

I've since switched to braided cords, like you see on gaming mice.

cjmnews

Staff member
Amazingly NO ONE on the plane yesterday had noise cancelling headphone except me.

So I bugged some office dwellers to see what they thought of their Bose Quietcomfort.
Both really liked them as they effectively blocked outside noise (lots of computer fans here) and sounded good.
Neither said they heard hiss, though I think I heard hiss in both sets. One guy is older, the other used to play in a band so their hearing may not be top notch.

wfs29223

Honesty. Go into a store with your music and try them out. I like the JBL Bluetooth over the ear myself. We can give you recommendations but it depends on the music you listen to. There are different levels of different music such as high mid and low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

viper69

Honesty. Go into a store with your music and try them out. I like the JBL Bluetooth over the ear myself. We can give you recommendations but it depends on the music you listen to. There are different levels of different music such as high mid and low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
HAHAH- Honestly, that doesn't give any idea how well they work on a plane ;)

I already tested out BOSE a while ago , but around people, it was great.

But wondering if the Sony's are better. They are also both wireless and wired if I understand correctly in the same model. I like that feature.

sallenmd

New Sony WH1000XM3

I replaced my Bose QC-35 II with the new Sony WH1000XM3. Cost $350. IMO, the active noise cancellation is a bit better than Bose and the sound is substantially better. Taking them on a plane for the first time tomorrow. That's the true test of NC. Battery life is quite a bit longer, which will come in handy on my international flights, such as to Australia and Singapore.

I recently used my iPhone to measure the sound level when flying, which I do a lot. In the front of a Boeing 717 (engines in rear) at cruising altitude/speed, it was 87 dB. Sustained, that level is harmful.

I do not miss the headphone jack at all. BT works great and no cord to deal with, which is especially hand on a plane. I can leave my phone in my seat and go to the restroom while still listening to music rather than airplane noise,

Nearly 30 years ago, I was in the Air Force. Those planes (C-141, C-5, KC-135) had no sound insulation in the passenger cabin. Everyone wore earplugs. When transporting ill babies, it was completely impossible to hear their hearts or lungs with a stethoscope.

viper69

Thanks a lot for the helpful info!

Please let me know what you think of the Sony’s during in-flight use! I agree airplane is the true test of NC.

How’d you use your iPhone to measure the sound?

I replaced my Bose QC-35 II with the new Sony WH1000XM3. Cost $350. IMO, the active noise cancellation is a bit better than Bose and the sound is substantially better. Taking them on a plane for the first time tomorrow. That's the true test of NC. Battery life is quite a bit longer, which will come in handy on my international flights, such as to Australia and Singapore.

I recently used my iPhone to measure the sound level when flying, which I do a lot. In the front of a Boeing 717 (engines in rear) at cruising altitude/speed, it was 87 dB. Sustained, that level is harmful.

I do not miss the headphone jack at all. BT works great and no cord to deal with, which is especially hand on a plane. I can leave my phone in my seat and go to the restroom while still listening to music rather than airplane noise,

Nearly 30 years ago, I was in the Air Force. Those planes (C-141, C-5, KC-135) had no sound insulation in the passenger cabin. Everyone wore earplugs. When transporting ill babies, it was completely impossible to hear their hearts or lungs with a stethoscope.

sallenmd

Please let me know what you think of the Sony’s during in-flight use! I agree airplane is the true test of NC.
I was very satisfied during about 9 hours in the air. Of course, such evaluations are entirely subjective. Also, I did not bring both and compare side-by-side. That said, I do not regret the choice at all and do believe that they are better. Will be passing the Bose along to another family member.

How’d you use your iPhone to measure the sound?
I used an app called SoundPrint. Available in App Store.

viper69

I was very satisfied during about 9 hours in the air. Of course, such evaluations are entirely subjective. Also, I did not bring both and compare side-by-side. That said, I do not regret the choice at all and do believe that they are better. Will be passing the Bose along to another family member.

I used an app called SoundPrint. Available in App Store.
Thanks a lot on both. I'm going to get the Sonys.