iLounge Forums - View Single Post - Software Recommendations to BackUp/Restore iOS & Files?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 12:29 PM

cjmnews

The devices having the ability to run later versions of iOS is what I expected. I can understand needing to stay on iOS6.

I assumed that the devices have upgraded to a version of iOS 6 using iTunes at one time. If that is the case, the IOS version is there on the system. Being offline should enable the restore from the current version of iOS that is available (iTunes can't query that a later iOS is available and download it, erasing the older version).

If you have never updated to a version of iOS 6 with iTunes, then you can't restore. When these phones decide they need to restore (could be 2 years from now) you will not be able to restore without upgrading.

There are no beginner tutorials on this. Apple expects users just to accept their upgrades and move on. This is based on experience. Users don't know that each IOS update is encrypted for the device that is being updated and can't be shared. They don't know that the updates are signed, with a key that gets removed, and if you don't have the signature file with the update, it can't be installed. Apple tries to hide this complexity.

I expect, due to the iTunes avoidance, that you are in the latter boat without an iOS 6 update stored locally in iTunes for each device. Which means you are on borrowed time, as the devices could decide they refuse to work without a restore at any moment. You might be lucky and get a couple years of use like this.

Too bad there is not a way to backup the operating system with the device.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....