Film Clips on an iPad and sequential composition

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Upstate

In the past I was able to film with an iPad and them be able to seamlessly upload them to an external site that would compile them sequentially into a single film. They did that by the file naming convention (i.e. 001, 002, 003), but it seems that I can't do that any longer with the new OS. The clips have names of course, but they are names like:

010E1488-3A8D-4F61-AFE0-838ADE217607_3smc.MOV that can't be organized sequentially by file name so - is there a way to change the naming convention so they generate different names or can I on the ipad change the name of those files to another name after i complete filming.

Thanks

cjmnews

Staff member
Sorry about the previous responder, than answer made no sense.

The iPad should be using sequential names automatically.

IMG_4095.MOV, IMG_4096.MOV....

You may need to enable a setting in Settings->Photos, under Transfer to Mac or PC, turn on Automatic to have the files convert to a usable format for the system you are using. Having the keep original set may use the longer names, the converted names may be generated for the host Operating System.

See if that helps.

Upstate

Thanks.

I've tried what you suggested with no luck - in the past, meaning last year the images had file names as you described. Now I've got those goofy names on three different iPad and even on the phone.

I know the system I upload to is a browser based system and pushes files to Amazon, but the misnaming happens way before it ever gets to the system.

Its frustrating as all get out.

cjmnews

Staff member
That is odd. Have you tried to see if the name problem happens on a different computer. It seems that this is a computer problem, not an iPad problem to me.

Upstate

Thank you for your help. I'm afraid I'm not being clear.

I'm trying to upload directly from the iPad to a site via a wifi or cell connection - the iPad isn't ever connected to Mac.

In the past the files would move into the uploader and have titles as described IMG_4095.MOV, IMG_4096.MOV...., but now regardless of site I'm uploading to the video files all have the longer file name and as a result they won't be processed sequentially by any site. What in the sam hill has happened to the naming convention - I've tried this with multiple ipads and phones and it's the same issue. The process to upload is the exact same, but the file names not so much.

I've not yet taken the step to connect the ipad to the mac, but I will do that as a last resort.

Appreciate you're insights.

cjmnews

Staff member
OK, so that would seem that the site you are using changed something in the uploader.

I would try reporting this to the site itself and see if they have an answer for it. It is probably the iOS 11 difference with the efficient vs. legacy format and the naming that iOS uses internally.

techblogger911

Ipad Issue

The MOD is correct, the better way to do it is to check it directly to Apple site which are more familiar with their system process.

cjmnews

Staff member
The rest of us non-bloggers know that it is not an Apple site. The site is the place where the videos are stitched together.

Apple doesn't provide convenient services to the consumer for free. If they do (smart playlists) the feature slowly dies over years of neglect, not suddenly stops working.

My theories are:
The site is accidentally exposing their internal GUIDs that keep videos together and assigned to a particular account. They need to fix it.
The automatic detection of the site by iOS 11 can't tell the file needs a sequential name for the export. (unlikely, and if you looked at the files on the iOS device with a computer, they will have sequential names).

Upstate

Thank you for your insights and help - will do what you've suggested.