Is My Ex Partner Watching Me?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

JAE17

Hi,

I am really hoping you can help.

My partner and I have separated, but we have two children so at weekends he does come and go from my house. He is very angry and possessive and I am scared that he has somehow tapped my iPhone.

Is it possible that he has been receiving or viewing my texts and emails? And is it possible that he can track my location?

I have heard that these things are possible, a friend of mine had her location tracked through her iPhone to her husband's computer; and another friend had lots of bugs on her phone and when she took it to the shop they said some software had been installed to forward texts and calls...! I have noticed that the weather on my phone has started registering as in London, but he lives there and I do not.

I'd really appreciate your help, as you might imagine I am feeling very unsafe.

Thank you

Hi,

I am really hoping you can help.

My partner and I have separated, but we have two children so at weekends he does come and go from my house. He is very angry and possessive and I am scared that he has somehow tapped my iPhone.

Is it possible that he has been receiving or viewing my texts and emails? And is it possible that he can track my location?

I have heard that these things are possible, a friend of mine had her location tracked through her iPhone to her husband's computer; and another friend had lots of bugs on her phone and when she took it to the shop they said some software had been installed to forward texts and calls...! I have noticed that the weather on my phone has started registering as in London, but he lives there and I do not.

I'd really appreciate your help, as you might imagine I am feeling very unsafe.

Thank you

There's a few ways this could be happening.

One is if he knows your Apple account password. He could then log in as you and track your location via Find My iPhone. He could also receive your messages on his computer if he has a mac, or on an iPhone / iPad by logging into your account on his device. I'd suggest changing your password.

Another way is a built in app called Find Friends. If he also has an iPhone he could have added himself to this on your phone and track you. Open this app and see if his name appears in the bottom half of the screen under the map.

Besides that the only other way I can think of is if he's installed a location tracking app. Look through your phone and see if there's any apps you don't recognise. This could also cover any apps that forward messages.

As for the weather, the most likely reason for that is if you've accidentally set the weather to London instead of your location, which is the first one on the list and gives the weather for wherever you are.

I hope this helps.

cjmnews

Staff member
Try changing the password on the email address that is the user ID of the iTunes account to a new password you don't use anywhere else.
Then change the iTunes password to something you don't use anywhere else.

That should effectively remove their access.

You can also make your device the master for 2 factor authentication, and if they somehow get your iTunes password, deny their access. I find it more problematic than helpful, but the option is there.

Website
www.ilounge.com
The advice given thus far is completely spot-on and these things should help close all of the possible holes as long as you're certain that your iPhone has not been "jailbroken."

One other thing to keep in mind is to ensure that you're using your OWN Apple ID in Settings->iCloud and not his, and ensure that you're not part of a "Family Sharing" plan with him in iCloud (you can find this under iCloud settings as well), since members of the same Family Sharing group automatically share location information with each other.

You can also log into your iCloud account on the web (at iCloud.com) and under "Settings" you can see what devices have been associated with your iCloud account. Remove any devices you see here that you don't recognize or that you no longer use. If you remove any devices from here, change your iCloud password after you've removed them (even if you've already recently changed it).

If your iPhone has been jailbroken, then all bets are off, because at that point it's possible for somebody to have installed any number of background tracking apps that you might not even be able to easily find. Jailbreaking effectively hacks the iPhone and bypasses almost all of the security features that Apple has built into iOS. I suspect this was what happened in the case of your friend who "had lots of bugs on her phone." (assuming it was an iPhone and not an Android phone).

If you're uncertain as to whether your iPhone has been jailbroken or not, the best thing to do would be to take it into an Apple Store and have somebody at the Genius bar take a look at it. It can be hard to tell otherwise, especially if it was jailbroken behind your back for the explicit purpose of installing spyware (note, however, that your partner would need to have uninterrupted access to your iPhone for an extended period of time — at least a couple of hours — in order to do this).