This Computer Already Associated With ID

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Steveromo

I've seen many postings about the message THIS COMPUTER IS ALREADY ASSOCIATED WITH AN APPLE ID but each is different, as is mine. The events that lead to this are a bit complex so I don't know exactly how it happened or what to do. I purchased a "Greatest Hits" album from itunes. It downloaded and played fine. That night I logged out of icloud so I could log in to my wife's in preparation to us both upgrading our phones. Then I logged back on to icloud. The next day I opened itunes and made some changes to the album. I changed the album title and artwork, and I tried to delete 4 songs that I didn't want (I delete from itunes but keep files) and that message showed up. All the songs play except the four I tried to delete.They have the download / cloud arrow image and can't be played or located. The files ARE in my computer and play with other media players. Simultaneously with this happening my wife was at the store upgrading our phones. One or more of these events messed things up. How can I fix?

Siff

Have you looked at your and your wife's devices associated with your and her Apple IDs? I cannot post URLs, so search for "View and remove your associated devices in iTunes" on the apple's site for details.

cjmnews

Staff member
The link they were referring to is: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204074 but it is not relevant to the OP's issue.

No, the upgrade had nothing to do with the problem.

The down arrow indicates that the Apple ID you were logged in as does not know that the song is downloaded. You could hide the cloud purchases. View->Hide Music in iCloud.

The songs are probably known to the other Apple ID, OR if you have 2 iTunes database using the same folder structure, the files are known to the other iTunes database. (Close iTunes, hold SHIFT while starting iTunes to switch databases).

If it were me I would hide the iCloud music and forget it. They are already set the way you want.

This is why I refuse to have multiple Apple IDs.

Steveromo

Thanks for the info. I had already done what you suggested and cleaned it up! I actually deleted the entire album from itunes and was prompted to hide the songs that were "stuck" in cyberspace, then imported the "keepers" back into itunes, and placed the throwaways into my vast music storage folder for stuff that I probably don't need but want to keep. Took a few minutes but cleaned up the mess and I don't have to wait 90 days to access other purchases. Just another issue that confuses me with regard to itunes / icloud. We have two iphones and two itunes accounts but ONE itunes library, let's us make playlists that includes songs from both of our collections, but causes an occasional glitch! (and don't get me started on icloud... we need to share one account in order to share contacts and calendars as well as locate each other... but not enough storage to backup both phones!) Thanks again!

cjmnews

Staff member
You can use separate iCloud accounts and use Find My Friends to track each other. That would double your space. Though the contact and calendar sharing would not happen, unless you invite the other person to all your calendar events, and share your contacts manually.

I personally think that a local iTunes backup is far superior than a partial iCloud backup,.

In the future, you can look at which account owns the songs, and login with that ID to modify the songs. It is in the Get Info window, I think in the File section.