Error message backup up iphone

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

maroonx42

Itunes could not back up he iphone because here is not enough free space on this computer to save the backup. I have attached the error message.

I have more than enough space on the computer. Dont know why this is appearing.

Attachments

cjmnews

Staff member
This can happen when people are not aware where iPhone backups go.

Even if you have your iTunes library on a separate drive from your operating system, the iPhone backups go on your C drive (the one with the operating system). C:\Users\<yourlogin>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

If you go into iTunes, it will show the backups you have in Edit-Preferences, Devices. If your phone has multiple backups (ones with dates are old ones no longer being used) the old ones could be deleted, or moved to another location to clear up space. Also backups for phones you no longer have can be removed.

There are also files in Windows that can be deleted to free up space on the C drive (C:\Users\<yourlogin>\AppData\Local\Temp\* and C:\Windows\Temp\*)

See if you can free up space on the Operating System drive and report back if that is not the issue, or it helped.

fowelaw42

It did not work. I tried your suggestion. Did not find files in the C drive AS you explained it. also there are not backups when I click on devices.

cjmnews

Staff member
You know that you replace <yourlogin> with your user name for your PC. I am thinking you did not find the spot. Here is an example using your user name on the forums for your login.

C:\Users\fowelaw42\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

That would be odd that iTunes has no previous backups. What version of iTunes are you running?
What version of Windows?

fowelaw42

UPDATE!!!!

Error message said windows cannot find. C:\Users\fowelaw42\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

cjmnews

Staff member
Well that would be the case if you used my example and your Windows login is not fowelaw42.
You probably can't use that value directly. You will have to change fowelaw42 to your Windows login (your first name?)

Does iTunes give you an error? Do you have someone technically inclined to help you?

fowelaw42

No i dont have anyone technically that can help me. When you say windows login what do your mean? To login on to the computer i just type in my pin.

Last edited by a moderator:

cjmnews

Staff member
Usually with that PIN, there is an account name to go with it, sometimes called Username or Login.

Most people I know use their first name, others with Windows 10 and a Microsoft ID have the part before the @ as their username, other make them up like "Ours" or "cjmnews". On my computer, if I lock the screen, it shows my username on the lock screen and I click it to log in again.

Do you know what version of Windows you are using?
What version of iTunes are you using?

I would find a friend or neighbor with computer knowledge to help.

cjmnews

Staff member
maroonx42 - How do you know that you have enough disk space on your C drive to hold a multi-gigabyte backup? How much free space do you have. Did you check for previous backups in iTunes (Edit->Preferences, Devices) and delete old backups you don't need anymore? You only need 1 backup per device. Have you tried to clean up the C drive files by emptying the Recycle Bin using the Properties of the C drive and use the Disk Clean up button?

fowelaw43 - Have you found your user name? What version of Windows and what version of iTunes are you using.

cjmnews

Staff member
I did not ask about your external drive, I asked about your boot drive typically called C.

The boot drive is where the backups go as stated in earlier posts. Your boot drive is full and you need to delete something. I have provided several suggestions in the previous posts.

Time to clean up stuff.

cjmnews

Staff member
That is a lot of space to put an 8-12 GB backup.

My guess would be that you have some anti-virus software like Symantec End Point protection that is blocking a successful backup. You may need to disable it to get the backup to work (false positive of a virus being added to your PC)

If you have a virus scanner, disable it and try to backup again. If that works, then add the folder C:\Users\<YourLogin>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup to the excluded folder list of the scanner and reenable the scanner and try backing up again to be sure this is a good work around.

cjmnews

Staff member
I am guessing that maroonx42 has resolved the error by disabling anti-virus.

Fowelaw42 on the other hand, you may not have space on your C drive to accept the backup. Can you post your free space?
You can see it by checking the Properties of the C drive. Have you tried to use the Disk Clean up button on the Properties window? That could help. Have you tried emptying the folders that I suggested above, that could help too.