Bugs in new iTunes Update?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

lionofludesch

Since the new version of the iTunes software was downloaded, three things have mysteriously happened. Not at the same time, but over the last two weeks.

First, even though "Oldest to Newest" is checked, podcasts are played "Newest to Oldest". It's like Back to the Future.

Second, podcasts have stopped downloading automatically and won't start downloading when I click on "Update".

Thirdly, the software won't load at all.

Fault in the software ? Or do I need a new computer ?

cjmnews

Staff member
I would not look at replacing the computer just yet.

I would try to see if you got a bad installation. Uninstall iTunes, Bonjour, Apple Mobile Device Service, iPod Helper, and anything else Apple. Then install iTunes again to see if that resolves the issue. Your library will remain in place, but it is good to have a backup just in case.

As for the order of Podcasts, if the reinstall does not resolve it, then try reversing the order to Newest first and see if it plays the oldest. If not, switch back to Oldest first to see if that fixes it. Maybe an internal setting was not carried over from the installation. You can work around this by making a playlist with the correct order and use that.

The download issue could be related to another bug I logged against Apple where the Get button for podcasts in the iTunes Store do not download episodes. I'll have to test this on iTunes which I do not have with me. I stopped using iTunes for podcasts once the iPhone Podcast app stopped supporting smart playlists.

What software are you referring to in your third issue?

lionofludesch

Hi - I'll try all that and get back with a report.

The software was iTunes itself. The little circle keeps turning but nothing happens.......

cjmnews

Staff member
I subscribed to a podcast and downloaded 3 episodes. I have the Podcast ordered Oldest to Newest and Play Oldest to Newest. It is currently playing Oldest to Newest.

The Refresh button for all podcasts downloaded new episodes for 2 subscriptions.
The Refresh Podcast button downloaded the new episode for a single podcast.

lionofludesch

Downloading iTunes again sorted the not loading problem and the updates so there was probably an incomplete download.:)

Bafflingly (is that a word?) the podcasts play newest to oldest, whether the toggle is set for newest to oldest or oldest to news:shake:

I'm currently persevering.

Not crucial, but slightly annoying.:(

cjmnews

Staff member
I sorted mine oldest to newest and play order oldest to newest and that seemed to work. Have you tried that?

lionofludesch

Yes - no help.

However, I've found out that my iTunes account is locked. Could be because my credit card has been renewed - though I've bought nothing since that happened. I've updated the details, unlocked the account, gone to iTunes, tried to sign in ......

Now I'm getting an error message - "Can't connect to the Apple server."

I'll try again tomorrow..........:(

cjmnews

Staff member
Can't connect to Apple Server is typically caused by firewalls and overly aggressive security software. You may need to tell your security software to allow iTunes to access the internet.

lionofludesch

Well, here's an update.

I downloaded the iTunes update on 25th March and it's no coincidence that some podcasts have not downloaded since then.

On the other hand, some are still being updated, which just makes things more baffling.

And we're still playing in the newest to oldest order.

:confused:

Still working on it ....

lionofludesch

Oh well, I ended up getting a new computer.

I needed to upgrade anyway. I was still on Windows 7.

Last edited:

cjmnews

Staff member
I am also currently on Windows 7. iTunes seems to work fine and connects to the store just fine.