Annoying popping noise between tracks!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

J-Dogg

I have recently been downloading live songs from different sources with the idea of making them into a "seamless" live album. So...I load the songs into Audacity, edit the transitions between the songs so as to make one continuous piece of music which I then convert to MP3 format and import into iTunes. So far, so good....on playback it all sounds fine with no issues.

However, I want to split the music back into separate tracks so in iTunes I go through the procedure of editing start/finish times, saving as AAC version, rinse/repeat, etc. That's when the problem occurs....when I play the album/playlist back the transition between the individual songs is clearly audible in the form of what I can only describe as a "pop". It's only a single sound but it is quite jarring and when it occurs every time the song changes it is enough to be annoying. The same happens on my iPod after the album/playlist has been synced onto it.

I am fairly sure it is nothing to do with using Audacity as the single MP3 track resulting from that doesn't have the issue: it's only after I split the file into separate songs in iTunes.

I have used this procedure in the past and don't recall having this problem. However, it seems to be a recurring problem now for some reason.

Any ideas as to how to overcome this would be very welcome!

iTunes 12.5.5
Windows 8
iPod Classic 160 gb

Last edited:

cjmnews

Staff member
Windows 9? Are you poking fun at Microsoft's habit of making odd number operating systems that are the only ones worth using and noting that they renamed 9 to 10? My guess it is a typo and you meant 8.

If the songs were sourced individually I would import those sources instead of splitting a joined file.
You can load the tracks with the pop into Audacity and you should see it as a spike at the end of the track. You can delete it or replace it with silence.

J-Dogg

Hi, thanks for your answer. It was indeed a typo and I operate Windows 8.

The problem with importing the songs individually is that I can't then edit them. If you put disparate live tracks together they don't "flow" properly without a bit of tweaking. Also if I load the tracks back into Audacity and edit the pops out I'll be left with little gaps between the songs as Audacity always adds a little bit of silence at the beginning and end of songs.

What I am particularly interested to find out is why I am getting this popping noise on split tracks and why it is happening now when I have done the same thing in the past without any problems!

cjmnews

Staff member
I don't see why you can't edit individual tracks. The Get Info window provides that functionality. I can see the Gapless Track issue would make them not play together well.

Converting from MP3 to AAC is not really optimal. You lose quality doing this, though you may not hear it.

I don't find that Audacity adds silence at all, unless I tell it to. I use it regularly.

As for adding the pops, that could be an iTunes artifact, though I have not heard it in mine when I use it to make Ringtones.
Perhaps that is caused by converting from MP3 to AAC (which I avoid).

Could you set your Import format to MP3 and Create MP3 version instead of AAC? That could eliminate the pop.