HD Write Error

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

decafjava

I've been getting a strange error pop-up for awhile now every time I back-up/sync to iTunes. At the end a pop-up comes up saying "Can't write to Macintosh HD unknown error -54" but it syncs apps and updates my playlists fine. It also makes a backup (it says backup was last created xxx) with no problem. Only other thing is the apply button appears as well though when I click it it goes away. BTW I make full encrypted backups. On MacOS Sierra latest update idem for iTunes and ios 10.2.1

cjmnews

Staff member
This is one of those errors that really don't have a clear explanation. Based on past history with it, either the HD of the Mac or iPod is going bad (this is in the iPhone section, so not iPod) or there is a corrupt file on the Mac.

Can you partially sync? Start by syncing no music, then add playlists until you get the error. Once you find which playlist it is in, watch the sync to see if a particular file causes it or once again shorten the playlist into segments until you can find the track that is causing it.

If you get the error with no music, then it could be a photo, or a document. Repeat the steps to reduce the sync, increase to find the file.

If you get the error with no files coming from the Mac, then it could be the backup is corrupt. Try unencrypted backup to see if it goes away. If it does, turn on encryption again, and that will replace the old backup with a new one.

If you still get it with the unencrypted backup, try not backing up. If you still get it, it could be a log on your HD that is corrupt.

You could wipe the logs, but we'll look at those steps if you get here.

decafjava

Thanks, it's actually my iPhone 6, never had the fortune of using an iPod. I'll try the steps you suggest, it might be the bad wavs I mentioned or one of the other things you suggested, maybe one of the wallpapers I downloaded.

decafjava

....and it was my wallpaper album. In the process of transferring to my new computer I forgot that I I had synced an album of downloaded wallpapers that I could not delete...well I clicked sync pictures in iTunes, deleted the album (to add it again later) and everything was fine again. Strange that I had to do a lot of guesswork and hair-pulling.

Oh and I solved the wav peoblem by jsut covneritng the files to aac which you can do in finder directly.