Need help relocating iTunes library to alternate drive

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

lew_man

Hi, im lewman, new to the forum. Im hoping somebody can help with a frustrating issue im having. I've currently purchased a new pc and wanting to put all my music over from old to new, which i knew how to do this. It contains some purchased itunes and alot of none. It's currently on my external hd. Thing is with my new computer i want to put all my itunes on my local d drive and not c due to space. my d is 2tb. Ive been searching internet etc but seem to be having no luck or im doing somthing wrong. Anyone able to help me with this, the only luck i got so far was when i put itunes onto the d and installed there and tried to put music on, it kept just bringing up purchased stuff with a cloud next to it saying needed to authorise. thing is i got soo much none purchased music also. if anyone could help that would be great.

cjmnews

Staff member
You really need your own thread.

First off, I hope you still have the original files on the old computer. You may need to start over.
Were the files on the C Drive originally? In the My Music folder? That is the default for iTunes, I really hope so. I am assuming that your original iTunes was in C drive My Music\iTunes folder unless you say otherwise.

Second, you can remap your My Music folder from the C drive the the D drive with Windows. I did this to save space on my SSD.

1. Locate your Command Prompt shortcut (usually Start->Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt) and right click it and click on Run as Administrator. Click Yes or OK to get authorize the command.
2. Open your task manager (right click on the Task Bar, click on Task Manager) and find the process named Explorer.exe, right click it and choose End Task. If you have more than one, then repeat until they are all gone. Yes it is normal for your Start button and Task Bar to disappear. Close the Task Manager.
3. In the Command Prompt type Explorer.exe and your Start Button and Task Bar will appear.
4. Open a Windows Explorer, locate the My Music folder, right click it and choose Properties.
5. Click on the Location tab, click on the Move button, navigate to the D drive, and create a My Music folder and click Select Folder. In the Move Documents window click No.

Now copy the iTunes folder from the old system to the external drive, then move the external drive to the new computer and copy the iTunes folder to E:\My Music.

If you start iTunes, (and my assumptions were right) then you should see your library, playlists etc. Authorize the iTunes, and play a few tracks to make sure all is right.

Don't forget to deauthorize the old system when you are happy with the new one.

lew_man

Hi, my itunes is currently resting in my external hard drive which i took off my old computer, yes it was in the c drive on the old computer.

lew_man

hi, all my music is currently sitting in my external hard drive, my old computer is all disconnected from the internet and been packed away. i followed itunes instructions on how to move the music from old computer to new. like i say it's sitting in my external hard drive.

lew_man

sorry, it did 2 replies. also yes they were on the c drive on the old computer and under my music. it was running on windows xp. this new one is 7

cjmnews

Staff member
As long as you got the iTunes folder from the old computer and it contains your iTunes Library.itl file then you are all set for following the steps.