think ipod is corrupted....

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

averica

there was a glitch in itunes(it froze up or something) and my ipod ejected and my 27000 songs were wiped...and i cant sync up with itunes down...ive tried resetting...third party software...nothing helps..and i cant restore it obviously cuz i cant access itunes....short of taking it to the Apple store,is there anything else i can do????i miss my ipod!!

kornchild2002

This is a common issue with the iPod classic. You need to solve your major problem first: getting iTunes up and running. Then all you will have to do is restore the iPod and sync everything back over. iTunes freezing once doesn't mean you can't ever open it again. Try running iTunes again and getting that issue solved first. You will eventually want iTunes when you sync again anyway.

averica

oh,i guess i was a little vauge...itunes works fine..it only froze for like 15 minutes which is when my ipod screwed up...it works fine it just wont recognize my ipod..

averica

yea,.i had already seen that and tried everything on the list short of uninstalling and reinstalling itunes...i honestly think my hard drive is messed up on the ipod

cjmnews

Staff member
You can fix the hard drive once you get your iTunes working again.

The uninstall (which includes uninstalling Apple Mobile Device Service, Bonjour, Quicktime, etc) then reinstall may fix the issue. Your music will stay on your drive, and of course you have a backup just in case...

averica

just did it...no dice...still says connected but nothing shows in itunes..i had hoped to find a solution online but suprisingly i havent...nothing left to do except find an Apple store or buy a new one....sigh

averica

no..said "windows could not complete format" or something like that..i also checked the diagnostics on it...have 320 pending sectors and 1408 reallocs....does that provide any insight??

cjmnews

Staff member
That says the drive has severe errors. You can try windows ChkDisk on it to see if you can recover it, or pick up SpinRite, which will most likely get the job done.

averica

i had tried chkdsk and got a message that so and so was "unreadable" and then it stuck on 6 percent scanning forever so i got frustrated and stopped it..i suppose i could try it again and be more patient..although i was deterred by the "unreadable" message....i will also look into Spinrite....just out of curiosity what causes the drive to start to go bad and what causes all those reallocs and pending sectors??(ive had it for like 3 years or so and never had issues before..i guess it just wears out...?)

kornchild2002

Portable hard drives are susceptible to issues like this as they go through a bunch of stress. You sync the iPod a few times (deleting and copying data over), use the iPod in a portable environment (bumping it, using, etc.), and portable hard drives are dense packing in more sectors per square inch than notebook and desktop hard drives.

Sector issues generally occur when one has physically gone bad. They can either be repaired or they can be "erased." It's common for someone to get about 3-4 years out of an iPod that has a hard drive before you start to experience issues. iPods with flash/NAND storage tend to last longer as they don't contain any moving parts.

averica

ok..reran disk check....said it removed bad clusters and gave me the following info...681152 kb in 178 recovered files/windows has made corrections to the file system/156,017,456 total disk space/1200 kb in hidden files/176 kb in 11 folders/97,513,120 kb in 25,643 files(im pretty sure i had 25,643 songs on there before it wiped.does this mean theyre still there somewhere??)/176 kb in bad sectors/58,502,768 kb are available/16384 bytes in each allocation unit/9,751,091 total allocation units on disk/3,656,423 allocation units available on disc....ok..im totally ignorant about this stuff.can anyone translate?is this good?bad?
for the record,it still isnt recognized in itunes..and not sure if this matters,but i did NOT have it in disk mode when i ran the check....
whats my next step??is it worth trying to save?
thanks for the patience with me..

cjmnews

Staff member
You could have lost 178 songs. I would access the iPod in disk mode and copy the files off to your PC.

Then I would try to backup all of your music to your PC.
Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide | iLounge Article

See if you get 25,643 songs into iTunes when you are done. If you are short, then you could try to drop those 178 files into iTunes to see if they become song files. They may fail. Then those might be lost.

After that I would go through the steps in the above post #4 & #8 to get the iPod recognized. You may need to reformat it, and do other extreme measures that will remove all your songs from it. You may even need to run chkdisk again.

averica

oh,i never lost songs from my computer..itunes is still intact..i just cant get it to recognize the ipod...so if i have to buy a new one i can just put them on that one...just hoping to salvage this one...

averica

ok..tried that...but got to a point where it stuck on "loading disk configuration information" for a lonngggggg time and never moved on....so i aborted

averica

ok broke down and took it to the Apple store...said it looked like a possible hard drive issue but somehow tied into the battery..so they offered to give me a refurbished model for 60 bucks with a 90 day period in which to return it if something goes wrong...unit looks brand new..and im currently putting my huge library on there so i'll see how its working once thats done...