iPod will not play WAV or AIFF formats

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

thomastd

I've owned an iPod 160GB for about a year. Up till now it has played mp3, AAC, AIFF and WAV files without problems.

Since the last iTunes update 8.2 (23) my iPod will not play newly added WAV or AIFF files (it does play the old ones). All of those files are seen by iTunes, and all of them play on my computer.

Those that won't play are displayed on the iPod. It knows they're there. And I can scroll through them and select them and the screen will even come up to indicate to me that they're about to play (with the song running time "thermometer" at the bottom) they just won't start.

I've tried de-selecting them from the iTunes list, syncing again to remove them, then re-selecting them and syncing again with no change: they're displayed, they can be selected they just won't play.

These are songs that I have made myself in Logic Express and imported into iTunes. If I convert them into mp3 and sync again they play perfectly, but this is not what I wanted, and it has never been a problem before.

kornchild2002

Try resetting your iPod. You can do this by holding the menu and center (select) buttons at the same time until you see the Apple logo (it may take longer than 10 seconds so be patient). Then delete the songs off your iPod and re-sync them.

You can then try restoring your iPod if that doesn't work. Restoring an iPod erases absolutely everything on it so make sure that your iPod is not the only place where you store content.

thomastd

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried them - to no avail.
I've gone through it all again, and the problem seems to be: recent (and only recent - app. since the last iTunes/Logic updates) WAV and AIFF files created in Logic Express.
Songs ripped from CDs in those formats are unaffected. Also, all mp3s (whether created in Logic or converted in iTunes) play as they should. And all the songs that were on the iPod already - regardless of file format - play too.
So maybe the problem doesn't lie with the iPod but with Logic, at least with the last update. Very annoying!
But thanks anyway.

kornchild2002

It could be. You can try converting those WAV/AIFF files to Apple lossless, WAV, or AIFF using iTunes. I suggest simply going with Apple lossless as it is bit-for-bit perfect just like any WAV or AIFF file and it can actually house track tag information. There might just be an issue with Logic's uncompressed files that it outputs. Converting them to either lossless or uncompressed could very well fix the problem. There won't be any quality loss when converting either a WAV or AIFF file to WAV, AIFF, or Apple lossless.

thomastd

Well, this actually seems to be working. I've tried converting two of the problematic files into Apple Lossless - and they play on the iPod!
It's a bit of a bother and I'd still like to know what's wrong with the original files but it's good to have a working solution - so thanks a lot for your suggestions!

S2_Mac

Are you using the current version of QuickTime? (I think it's v7.6.2) Any chance you're using a PowerPC Mac (i.e. G4, G5 processor)? I'm wondering if the Logic Exp team jumped the gun a little and messed with Endian-ness in anticipation of Snow Leopard, or presumed a certain version of QuickTime but forgot to tell the installer app...

For the heck of it, use iTunes to convert one of the problem AIFF files to AIFF, and see if the just-created file does any better on the iPod. If so, LE or QT (or LE_and_QT ;-) are doing something funny with AIFF/WAV.

J-Funk

Me too...

I have had this same problem with tracks that I have written in Ableton Live 9 and exported as AIFF. I have not tried the WAV files but it's not just Logic. The iPod Classic seems to have trouble with those file types for some reason. Hopefully something that gets fixed with the new update.

kornchild2002

1. Apple is not going to come out with a software update for an iPod that is 4 years old now (technically 5), particularly for an iPod that has become extinct and to patch something that isn't a problem.

2. The iPod classic does not have an issue with those file types. The PCM WAV and AIFF files produced by your audio software do not conform to specific standards required for iPod playback. The file type limits of the iPod classic are listed on Apple's website. If the files don't fit within that, they won't be played. I can make a 460kbps mp3 file that won't work with ANY iDevice out there, that doesn't mean that they have issues with the mp3 file format. It just means the file I have doesn't fit within standard specs.