iPad 2 4.3 just won't upgrade.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ipooedmyself

My iPad 2, running iOS 4.3, just won't upgrade.

I get a different error code every time. Sometimes 41, sometimes 3194, etc. There's literally a different error code each time, and I've googled them all and tried every fix listed. NOTHING. None of it fixed the problem.

I've tried upgrading on 3 different PCs running:
Win 7
Windows Vista
Windows XP

I've tried upgrading to all different versions of ios 5, and even ios 6.

NOTHING.

It hangs at "verifying restore with Apple."

I've tried 4 different wi-fi networks.

I've disabled anti-virus and firewalls.

I've redownleded firmware.

I've clicked restore and I've clicked upgrade.

NOTHING.

I can only restore it to 4.3 successfully. Everything else hangs.

There's no Apple store nearby, so I can't take it in. The local Best Buy/etc. don't do these upgrades.

Why on earth won't this thing upgrade? I'm beyond frustrated.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
You won't be able to install anything but the latest iOS version since there's a step in the installation where Apple is contacted, and they only sign the latest version.

Are you restoring through iTunes and letting it download iOS 6.0.1 from Apple, or did you download your own copy of the .ipsw file from some other source? Best bet is to get the .ipsw file from Apple, so by you mentioning you've tried iOS 5 suggests that maybe you're getting these files elsewhere.

Did you ever jailbreak the iPad? I'll admit that I'm not too familiar with that, but it is possible to corrupt something if done incorrectly I imagine.

ipooedmyself

Ah, I didn't know nothing but 6 could be installed. That probably explains why the 5.0 didn't work.

With 6.0, I clicked "Update" within iTunes and downloaded directly from Apple within iTunes.

I did this on 2 different PCs.

No luck with either-- same error. Tried it the past 5 days on different PC and Wi-fis.

It's not jailbroken. I even restored to 4.3 clean with no apps/etc. on it and tried upgrading again to 6.0. No dice. I don't get it.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Hmm, you've tried this update on multiple computers, are they on the same network? If so, sometimes router settings get in the way, so either try connecting a computer directly to the modem via Ethernet, or at least use Ethernet to the router to take any Wi-Fi issues out of the picture.

You can also try forcing the iPad into recovery mode:

1. Launch iTunes but do not connect the iPad.

2. Hold down the iPad's Home and Sleep buttons at the same time. This will force the screen to fade and the Apple Logo to reappear. KEEP holding the two buttons down until the screen goes black.

3. Once the screen is black, release the Sleep button but keep holding down the Home button while you plug the cable into the iPad. Contunue holding the Home button until the you see the iTunes logo and the picture of the cable on the screen. This may take up to 30 seconds.

4. iTunes should now detect the iPad and you can try another Restore.

ipooedmyself

Thanks, I just tried doing this recovery mode, and still got the error.

I've connected these PCs to about 5 different networks. Took one to Starbucks, another at home, another at work....

I reinstalled Vista and it has no security features. Tried that PC on 4 different internet connections.

I'll try to connect directly to the router... good idea.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
One more suggestion is to change the router DNS settings to use OpenDNS or Google's DNS.

OpenDNS: 208.67.222.220 or 208.67.222.222
Google DNS: 8.8.4.4 or 8.8.8.8

Longshot, but could help.

ipooedmyself

I've tried 2 USB cables now.

I'll pick up a new one soon and see if that fixes this.

The cable worked to restore 4.3 on the iPad. Perhaps it's an intermittent cable problem. Hmm..

I'll try restoring an iOs on my old iTouch and see if that works.

ipooedmyself

I now have 4 USB cables. I've tried each of them on 3 different PCs (Vista, Win7, XP).

I get different error codes literally each time-- even if on the same PC with the same USB cable.

I reinstalled Vista, so there's no security software on there. All firewalls, etc. disabled. I plugged it directly into the router. I took it to Starbucks and McDonalds. I clicked Restore. I clicked Upgrade.

I can restore to 4.3 on this iPad just fine, which is strange.

I'm still not having any luck with iOs 6.

Other than throwing the thing out the window, is there anything else I can try?

Should I try something other than iTunes for this? I would keep 4.3, but hardly any apps I want to use are available for that old an iOS.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Maybe its time to delete the .ipsw file you downloaded from Apple. Each time you re-try installing iOS 6 it is using the same file (aside from you trying this on different computers).

Look in this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\(account name)\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

Locate the .ipsw file that looks like it might be iOS 6 (look at the date) and delete it. Now try again, but with the following changes:

When you connect the iPad to iTunes, it should detect that you're not on the latest revision. I forget the exact wording, but click the "Update" button but select "Download Only". You'll want to download the .ipsw file without installing it, then go through the Restore process to install it as a separate process. I always get nervous with downloading and installing in one swoop (especially iTunes updates, just too many ways it can go bad).

Also, if your router and modem are separate devices and not a combo unit, try plugging your PC into the modem, bypassing the router entirely.

ipooedmyself

Hmm. Each of the 3 PCs have their own copy of iOS 6 downloaded straight from Apple. I deleted it on my main PC tonight and downloaded another copy.

I followed your steps, downloaded without installing, then Restored. Error.

I plugged 3 of my PCs into the router itself, tried it on Tmobile, tried it at Starbucks. I tried my main PC at work and on a friend's wifi.

I just don't get it. Many PCs. Different iOS downloads Different USB cables. Different Wi-fi connections. Why does my iPad hate iOS 6? I can restore to 4.3-- it let me restore to 4.3 again today. But, not iOS 6.

Could the Apple upgrade servers have been down every night this week?

ipooedmyself

Bought another USB cable.

Tried it at friend's house on their PC.

Still get the errors.

My iPad sucks.

cjmnews

Staff member
I would use an Apple cable.

I would also be sure there was some free space on the iPad2. Maybe you need to remove a movie or some pictures and make room for the possibly larger OS.

I have seen posts where people say that they followed these steps:
1. Backup iPad2 to iTunes.
2. Download the upgrade through iTunes (no install).
3. Restore iPad2 with iTunes (not upgrade, plain restore).

That does not make logical sense in my mind, but I have seen some people claim success.

ipooedmyself

I would use an Apple cable.

I would also be sure there was some free space on the iPad2. Maybe you need to remove a movie or some pictures and make room for the possibly larger OS.

I have seen posts where people say that they followed these steps:
1. Backup iPad2 to iTunes.
2. Download the upgrade through iTunes (no install).
3. Restore iPad2 with iTunes (not upgrade, plain restore).

That does not make logical sense in my mind, but I have seen some people claim success.
Tried this. :(

I don't imagine Apple's update servers have been down all week, so I'm stumped. I can restore to 4.3. I can wipe it and install 4.3 (by clicking "Restore", then unchecking "Sync Apps). 12+ GB free or more. Half of the USB cables I've tried are straight from Apple. Tried on every USB port on 3 different PCs. The iPad cable seems just fine... I can restore 4.3 just fine.

cjmnews

Staff member
Then you either live with 4.3 or find a Genius Bar.

It seems that you have exhausted everything we can think of.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
It's not jailbroken.
Just re-visiting this for one last possibility ... it is not jailbroken now, but has it ever been? If so that is likely the reason at this point, even if you're able to put 4.3 on it without trouble. Over time Apple has changed some of their tactics to deal with hacking, and this might be the result of that.

ipooedmyself

The nearest Genuis bar is a flight away. I don't imagine I can send it to Apple?

It never was jailbroken, no.