Greatest ipod ever

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

JWizz

Hi guys, i'm new here. I just wanted to say out of all the iPods I truly believe that the iPod classic is the best one ever. I have had this iPod for 6 years, and it's still in pretty good condition. I know that Apple has created bigger and better things, but this simple iPod is still the best. It has SO MUCH space, and the battery life is just as good. Before Apple came out with the iTouch, all they could do was play music and games. Also, just because it is old, doesn't mean the condition is bad. It works like any other iPod, and just as good if not better. :D

Do you guys agree?

kornchild2002

The 5G iPod touch is easily the best iPod now. iPods have evolved since they were first introduced and are no longer reliant solely on their music playback abilities. In fact, I can honestly say that I used my 4G iPod touch (and now iPhone 5) to do more than listen to music on a daily basis. Sure, I listen to a good 2-4 hours of music a day but I surf the web for a good few hours, read a few chapters from an eBook, communicate with friends, and take tons of pictures. When I used my iPod classic, it mainly stayed in my car since it could really only playback music (let's face it, watching videos on that thing was a pain).

Code Monkey

I do care, and I'll guess the answer is "no," so I'll have to disagree that the 5G iPod Touch is the greatest iPod ever.
It does not, and I also care, but nowhere near enough to be using a classic over the 5G touch.

Yeah, it's kind of sad that Apple puts so little effort into the iPod/Music app on their flagship devices that, in terms of playback options and playlist support, my 1G iPod mini was a better music player, but if all I cared about was playing music, I'd have stopped buying iPods after I got my 2G nano (my personal fave among the 'old school' iPods).

Not even live updating of smartlists is enough to make me give up apps, email, texting, facetime, etc..

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
I'm going to go ahead and agree with the OP here. Silver 6th gen, before it was called the classic. The touch is awesome, but frankly I've got a smartphone with me all the time, and I prefer the physical buttons.

And, just to be contrary, I'd say 4th gen nano over 2nd any day of the week. Such pretty colors! And rounded edges! And anodization!

Code Monkey

And, just to be contrary, I'd say 4th gen nano over 2nd any day of the week. Such pretty colors! And rounded edges! And anodization!
You may be a little confused due to overzealous contrariness, 2G nano had multiple colors, anodization AND rounded edges :D The only things the 4G added to the formula was the taller screen and video support (which is why I said "if the only thing I cared about was playing music... ;))

I loved my 4G, but the 2G is a tank. I killed a 4G AND a 5G nano, both inside of 2 years through nothing but ordinary use. Conversely, my 2G was with me as my daily pod for 2 years, was used by both kids, and it still works, even dented and dinged from some massive drops.

kornchild2002

(which is why I said "if the only thing I cared about was playing music... ;))
Which is why I still argue that the 5G iPod touch is really the greatest iPod ever. iPods haven't been about just music playback since around 2002/2003 when podcasts and audiobooks were put into the fold. Things changed again in 2005 when they started supporting video playback and photo viewing. The iPod classic is still a central music player (why else have a 160GB hard drive on a device with such a small display not really meant for serious video playback?) but the iPod touch has taken the foundations of the 5G iPod and drastically expanded upon them. It's the best iPod for video playback, games (I'm sorry, games on the classic are laughable at best), surfing the net, taking photos (about on par with an inexpensive point-and-shoot), consuming media (Apple's online stores are integrated), and various other tasks.

It's OK for playing music but lets face the facts here, people who use portable devices (whether they are made by Apple or not) strictly for music playback are in an extreme minority. They are a niche market that the industry is ignoring as there is nothing to innovate when it comes to music playback. There isn't some radically new way to playback music on a portable device yet other aspects, such as taking pictures, can always be upgraded and improved (e.g. inclusion of panoramic photo mode with the 5G iPod touch and the 5MP sensor).

Code Monkey

Which is why I still argue that the 5G iPod touch is really the greatest iPod ever.
You'll get no argument from me on that. This whole hair splitting is a funny thing. The whole reason why iTunes, the iPod, and, later, iOS devices went on to crush everything but the phone market is the whole "best of breed" gumbo. There were almost always devices that were "better" at allegedly important things, but none did as many things as well as the i-devices, and so here we are.

Yet, in spite of what I would assume should be an undeniable set of facts, we have this small, vocal group clinging to their classics and bemoaning how they get no love from Apple even though, for today's market, there is nothing best of breed about a lop sidedly music centric device like the iPod classic, it's a purely niche product from every metric p.o.v..

Overall, I agree, the 5G touch is the best non-phone device Apple has ever made as far as I'm concerned.

However...
It's OK for playing music but lets face the facts here, people who use portable devices (whether they are made by Apple or not) strictly for music playback are in an extreme minority. They are a niche market that the industry is ignoring as there is nothing to innovate when it comes to music playback.
Technically true, but still no justification for the lack of features found on music players over a decade ago. Just because there isn't much room to innovate, the fact that album shuffle, something that stereo systems did in the 1980s, something that commercial jukeboxes did decades ago, has been missing from iOS devices from the beginning simply makes NO sense. Nor does it make a bit of sense that smartlists don't work properly on iOS devices that are sporting more RAM and better processors than some computers I've run iTunes on in the past decade, while my 1G iPod mini with little more than the sort of hardware you find in a graphical calculator could sort and resort nearly as much music as I carry on my 5G touch lightning fast.

So, while I am all about the best of breed aspects of the new iPods, I am less enthused about how little has been done to polish the iOS music app to even the equivalent of a 2005 iPod, doesn't seem like that's too much to ask.

ScoobZ

Technically true, but still no justification for the lack of features found on music players over a decade ago. Just because there isn't much room to innovate, the fact that album shuffle, something that stereo systems did in the 1980s, something that commercial jukeboxes did decades ago, has been missing from iOS devices from the beginning simply makes NO sense. Nor does it make a bit of sense that smartlists don't work properly on iOS devices
Agreed. Fwiw, I'm not being a total downer on the latest iPod Touch. I use my iPod classic to listen to music at work. My preferred method of listening to music is by album. Yes, that's old school and not how the kids do it today, but that's how I do it. My Classic fits the bill perfectly for my music listening so for me there's no reason to get an iPod Touch. For all the other things the Touch can do, I have my iPhone. I'm 100% satisified with this arrangement.

kornchild2002

So, while I am all about the best of breed aspects of the new iPods, I am less enthused about how little has been done to polish the iOS music app to even the equivalent of a 2005 iPod, doesn't seem like that's too much to ask.
I agree. I'm not trying to make excuses for Apple here. The iOS music app definitely needs to be beefed up yet its been given the basic treatment. Apple could to a lot with a little patch to get things on par with the iPod classic in terms of music playback. The video app could also use some help as it doesn't work with video playlists. That is something that I used to do a lot on my iPod classic with music videos. Even now, when using the music app on iOS to initiate a music video, it doesn't fully work. It used to work under older versions of iOS but now it just plays the audio portion of the video.

There are aspects Apple can improve with iOS media playback. Compromise has become key with these all-in-one devices whether it is the iPod touch or a player from Samsung still running Android 2.3. They are still issues that I would rather live with than carry around three separate devices. I have done that for many years and am extremely tired of it. That's why I only carry my iPhone 5. I no longer have to carry my iPod classic, my Droid X, and my digital camera. I would do almost the same if I had an iPod touch and keep my Droid X if I didn't move onto something much, much better.

deggles

:)

I do care, and I'll guess the answer is "no," so I'll have to disagree that the 5G iPod Touch is the greatest iPod ever.

Imho, of course. :D
G5 / G5.5 uses the infamous Wolfson sound chip.... second to none. The G6 sound chip is a downgraded (IMHO, and thousands of other audiophiles) version which is almost a droan to listen to after a few hours in comparison to the Wolfson.

Still rather have album shuffle? :)

kornchild2002

Unless you can provide results from double blind, volume matched tests to match up with RMA measurements, your statement is very subjective. The audiophiles making those claims are the same ones who claim to hear a difference between CD and lossless, that vinyl is better for no apparent reason, and they can justify spending $300 for an HDMI cable and $1000 for an Ethernet cable because they supposedly sound better.

Code Monkey

Unless you can provide results from double blind, volume matched tests to match up with RMA measurements, your statement is very subjective. The audiophiles making those claims are the same ones who claim to hear a difference between CD and lossless, that vinyl is better for no apparent reason, and they can justify spending $300 for an HDMI cable and $1000 for an Ethernet cable because they supposedly sound better.
This a thousand times.

I still have a Wolfson based iPod and it does sound *different* than current Cirrus Logic based ones. It does not sound better, and most definitely does not sound much better. Anyone claiming superiority of the Wolfson chip is automatically someone who may be disregarded as not knowing anything at all about actual sound quality.

The funny thing, which I have highlighted in other threads, is that the current sound chip family is, from a technical p.o.v., actually better than the Wolfson family that was replaced. In other words, in the minds of the so-called audiophile, the Wolfson chip is better because it is worse (I guess like vinyl, for which the only frequencies it is better at reproduction are frequencies most people cannot hear and even fewer stereos can accurately reproduce).