• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Can you play iTunes-purchased videos on other devices..? How?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

martin2345uk

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, please move if necessary :)

So I bought some TV shows on iTunes (I like to do things legally!;)), but when I put them on an external hard drive and connect it to either my Freeview+ box or DVD player, I can select the files but it can't play the M4V format..

Is there a way around this? No wonder people download stuff in other ways if doing it legally means you can only play it on your laptop! :eek:

Many thanks!

Martin

Sparkee

Videos purchased on the iTunes Store are copy-protected and can only be played on Apple devices. To play these on a TV you will need to use an Apple TV or an iOS device with the appropriate video out cable.

The video industry did not learn from the music industries mistakes and seem to be following the same route they took.

martin2345uk

Videos purchased on the iTunes Store are copy-protected and can only be played on Apple devices. To play these on a TV you will need to use an Apple TV or an iOS device with the appropriate video out cable.

The video industry did not learn from the music industries mistakes and seem to be following the same route they took.
That's a shame, but thanks for the reply!

Is there a way of playing something from iPhone 5 on a TV? Can you get a lightning:HDMI converter or something...? :)

Sparkee

A quick look on Apple's site shows the Lightning Digital AV Adapter which has an HDMI connector and a female Lightning connector to charge while using it. It may be good for travel or or setups where there is no WiFi network.

If you are just going to use this at home along with your home wifi network consider an Apple TV. The ATV will AirPlay the video from your iPhone to your TV as well as mirroring it's display for other uses. The adapter is $49 and for $40 more you get much more functionality for your money. If you travel the ATV is a little tougher to setup and use on some motel wifi networks.