Ipod classic and 24/96

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

rozeqloud

Hi

I recently tried to add some 24/96 ALAC files to my ipod classic 160Gig
But as you all guessed , 24/96 seems unsupported :(

i thought i was smarter than i am and converted the files to wav and was thrilled
to see them add to my ipod , but tho they play in itunes and show on ipod , titles running time and all , they simply skip over quickly all tracks and wont play :(

Im depressed , as i recently spent alot of money on new sennheiser cans ,and
a Ray Samuels sr71B portable amp ,not realizing my ipod wont support this

Is there a mod Ie: rockbox etc. that will allow me to play 24/96 on my ipod ?

ive never wanted to rockbox as im daft and worry i may ruin stuff if i tinker

PS 24/192 would be a new level of dreaming if it were ever possible lol

Cheers

kornchild2002

No, that is not possible even through Rockbox. The iPod's hardware itself is limited to 16-bit 44.1KHz output, period. What you need to do is down convert those files to 16-bit 44.1KHz ALAC versions to sync to your iPod (if you even need ALAC on your iPod, of which I highly doubt and am willing to bet a large sum).

rozeqloud

No, that is not possible even through Rockbox. The iPod's hardware itself is limited to 16-bit 44.1KHz output, period. What you need to do is down convert those files to 16-bit 44.1KHz ALAC versions to sync to your iPod (if you even need ALAC on your iPod, of which I highly doubt and am willing to bet a large sum).
Thank you for your reply mate

Can i politely refer you to this thread tho that seems to say the ipod can play
24/96

Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.

Seems post 410 may have it going ? But i cant be sure of what ive read . im a tad daft

PS , i spoke with apple today and was told ( w/out rockbox) ipod will play
24/48 .

Its getting a bit confusing for me lol

Cheers

kornchild2002

Although it can play that content, output is still physically limited to 16-bit/44.1KHz. The firmware of the iPod transcodes everything to PCM 16/44 when outputting. The iPod's hardware has a frequency response of 20-20,000Hz only.

So playback might be possible through some eventual Rockbox update but the output of the iPod would still be limited to the standard 16/44. So you would needlessly fill your iPod up with these higher masters (which you probably can't even properly distinguish in a blind ABX test) only to have the iPod still output to the same old standard due to its hardware.

Now, things would be different if the iPod offered a digital audio output along with having headphones that could decode the high resolution audio but that isn't the case. The sound chip in the iPod can output only to 16/44. The firmware of the iPod can decode higher resolution content but it isn't outputting the content at the higher settings. It transcodes everything down to 16/44 for output. The only way to get more out of an iPod would be to use it as an external storage device, connect it to something via USB, and have that other device decode all of the audio.

crazy ones

Apple Addict
kornchild is correct : the actual output is limited to 16-bit/44.1KHz even if the content is 24/96. The iPod is limited to 20 - 20,000 Hz and the firmware makes everything 16/44.

rozeqloud

Although it can play that content, output is still physically limited to 16-bit/44.1KHz. The firmware of the iPod transcodes everything to PCM 16/44 when outputting. The iPod's hardware has a frequency response of 20-20,000Hz only.

So playback might be possible through some eventual Rockbox update but the output of the iPod would still be limited to the standard 16/44. So you would needlessly fill your iPod up with these higher masters (which you probably can't even properly distinguish in a blind ABX test) only to have the iPod still output to the same old standard due to its hardware.

Now, things would be different if the iPod offered a digital audio output along with having headphones that could decode the high resolution audio but that isn't the case. The sound chip in the iPod can output only to 16/44. The firmware of the iPod can decode higher resolution content but it isn't outputting the content at the higher settings. It transcodes everything down to 16/44 for output. The only way to get more out of an iPod would be to use it as an external storage device, connect it to something via USB, and have that other device decode all of the audio.
Thanks mate

Tho its bad news ya cant shoot the piano player for his msg :)

So if i was to get a DAC , like the Rex , and send out via LOD to my SSR71B
i could then benefit from the hi res files ? im using the LOD now to my SR71B
and being daft , i assumed i was bypassing all those limitations of the ipod

Cheers

rozeqloud

Thank you all

This is not meant to be aggressive in any manner

I just spoke with Apple again ,and am assured my classic
has Cirrus Logic CS42L55 chip , which is capable of 24/48
w/out any further downsampling

Can i please refer this .pdf ,which supports that claim , and being new
compared to many here , i stay respectful ans open to further advice

http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/CS42L55_F1.pdf

Cheers

kornchild2002

It doesn't really matter what the documentation for that chip states. Apple's own website clearly shows the frequency response for the iPod classic as being 20-20,000 Hz. That is straight for Apple's own website so there is no need in trying to bring it back up over and over again. I will say it again: the iPod can decode 24-bit 48KHz audio content but output is still limited to 44.1KHz as evidence of the frequency response given my Apple.

Lastly, have you even tried to properly ABX these higher resolution files?

kornchild2002

I should also note that Rockbox does not work with the iPod classic at all. They currently have an unusable port of Rockbox for the iPod classic. There isn't even an unstable port of the firmware for the iPod classic. The last stable release of Roxkbox supports only up to the 5.5G iPod. Anything beyond that (i.e. the iPod classic lines) isn't supported. Not only would it be impossible for you to output to 24/96 with the iPod's hardware but you can't even install Roxkbox on it thus negating everything.

Leroy Bad

A 44.1 kHz sample rate, supports upto 22.05 kHz frequency. So if a 20 kHz frequency is the limit, then a 44.1 kHz sample rate wouldn't be supported either. I think those specs are just a generalization.

kornchild2002

What's the point of bumping this (over) one year old thread? The OP is long gone and their question was answered.