How to completely delete entire content of iPod Touch.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

hermesdr

I'd like to erase my entire Touch library & start importing songs from scratch.
Is it as simple as "restore to factory settings"?
Thanks in advance for any help.
:)

sonosuser

I'd like to erase my entire Touch library & start importing songs from scratch.
Is it as simple as "restore to factory settings"?
Thanks in advance for any help.
:)
I think you would have to connect your Touch to your PC and re-sync with iTunes, deleting the various files to make it empty.

Gadzooks

Restore it using iTunes selecting as a ne wiPod when prompted.
Hi Sparkee. So what is the difference between "Restore" in iTunes, and "Erase All Content and Settings" in the General-->Reset option on the iPod itself?

Also, since I am manually managing my music, I erased the music library by shift clicking the songs on my iPod in iTunes, and deleting the songs from in iTunes. (Not the iTunes library)
I ejected the iPod, turned it off and on, ( it wouldn't show that my music was gone on the iPod itself without doing this), then recopied my library. The only thing was I had to delete and recopy the playlists I'd made, as they were now empty.

I found later that the music on the iPod can be deleted in Settings-->General-->Usage-->Music-->edit and delete it, although it would be a good idea to clear the iPod music list in iTunes (for the iPod) to prepare it for a sync.

It occurs to me though that creating and syncing selected playlists is probably the way to go.

Last edited:

Sparkee

The OP mentioned he wanted to start from scratch which was my main reason for suggesting Restoring. I have never used "Erase content and settings" which may be sufficient however you can never be sure some information remains or simply some other crap that can cause problems later on. I would compare this to going into the "Add/Remove Programs" of your computer and deleting all the software. The programs may no longer show up but they leave a lot of crap behind which in time can effect performance. Resetting the iPod using iTunes is similar to formatting (or erasing everything) and re-installing a computer's operating system. It is a guaranteed way to start over with a fresh factory default set up. I would prefer knowing I was starting with a fresh clean system.

The need to simply clear up some space on an iPod may be better done by less drastic measures. Deleting media using the Usage menu in iOS 5 is handy for clearing up memory if you are low on space for some photos, video or other large files. It is also handy even if you are syncing to selected playlists, which in my opinion is the best way to manage an iPod. Once you get your large file off the iPod the synced palylists are easily re-synced.

Syncing to selected playlist, or any of the other options, is a great way to manage an iPod. By managing using playlists you can simply add and remove tracks from the playlists then sync. The added benefit such as playcounts, ratings and last played times are synced back to iTunes. Once these stats start to accumulate you can further use them to create smart playlists to customize and automate rotating music on and off the iPod.

Gadzooks

So how do I delete the songs on the iPod ( to prepare for a fresh sync, say) without resetting all my you tube favorites and bookmarks, and stuff? Up until now I have been shift- clicking the songs in manual mode and then today I switched back to a full sync to copy my library back.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
So how do I delete the songs on the iPod ( to prepare for a fresh sync, say) without resetting all my you tube favorites and bookmarks, and stuff?
There are a couple ways to do this, one is what you're doing now -- manually selecting all songs while connected to iTunes and deleting. That's fine, nothing wrong with that.

You can also connect to iTunes, manually initiate a backup, Restore the device, then re-load your backup. That won't re-populate the music since you manually manage, and you'll lose any playlists* you created on the device.

You can also go into Settings/General and select "Erase All Content and Settings". That will erase everything on the device, supposedly a "deeper scrub" than a Restore, and in general is used when you're selling the device because it removes all traces of prior accounts and history. However, unlike a Restore I don't think this re-loads the OS, and I believe it takes a lot longer than a Restore.

*If you manually manage, it is better to create your playlists in your iTunes library, then drag them over to your device. That way you don't have to re-create them each time you wipe the device clean.

Sparkee

Not sure how you are doing it, but Youtube favorites should be saved online in your Youtube account. Log in to your Youtube account using a web browser to confirm. Safari bookmarks are a part of the iPod's back up which is created and updated when the iPod is synced. I have never manually managed an iPod so I can not say for sure how the iPod back up is kept up to date if it doesn't auto sync. In any event you can always right click the iPod in iTunes and select Back Up. iTunes will also create a back up if you select Restore but it's probably safer to do it yourself first. The "Restore from Back Up" option when you right click is not always a good option since it does not do a fresh install of the iPods software. Clicking the Restore button erases the iPod, re-installs it's software, then prompts you as to if you wish to return the iPod's setup by using a back up. It's good to familiarize yourself with the process as well as what is included in the Back Up, Read the Apple Support Document.

With that said, if all you want to do is change your music and your iPod is working well Restoring it is overkill for what you are trying to do. I'm still not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve here. Restoring is a fast and efficient way to wipe an iPod to start everything fresh or fix an iOS device that is malfunctioning with a back up, not for changing music. If you are manually managing it you are simply going to add and delete your music with iTunes or otherwise. If you want to do it by syncing selected playlists create the playlists adding the songs and change your sync settings for Music. iTunes will automatically delete all the music you manually added keeping and syncing only those in the playlists you set to sync. From then on you can simply add and remove tracks from the playlists to make changes to the iPod.

Gadzooks

Thanks for that Sparkee.

I guess my main problem is that I'm compressing my music to 128 AAC when I sync to the iPod, and my problem is that I have a 70 minute self-help CD with sub harmonics that can't be compressed. So even after syncing my library, I had to delete that AAC and manually copy the 700 mb wav file across. Im trying to figure out how to sync playlists while converting to 128 AAC without having the 700 mb wav erased, and it looks like I'll have to copy it manually at the end each time.

I was hoping to convert to 128 to get more music on the iPod.