Only ONE ipod Touch doesn't charge in iHome

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

abbykitty

My daughters each got ihome glowtunes for their ipod 4g touch. Daughter 1 ipod charges in both ihomes. Daughter 2 ipod 4g touch doesn't charge in either ihome but does play music through the speakers. Daughter 2 ipod charges fine via usb to laptop.

Son has old (bought used) ipod 2nd, his ipod touch charges fine in both ihomes.

Why would one ipod not charge in either ihome?

THX!

abbykitty

I have done a restore and it has updated version. This just isn't making any sense. 1 out of 3 ipods doesn't charge in two different ihomes!:confused:

kornchild2002

What iPods do your other children have? Are they iPod classic, iPod nano, or iPod touch models? What generation are they? More specifics are needed in order to get down to the bottom of it. I have a feeling I know what the answer is but I can't say anything.

abbykitty

Sorry thought I was clear that they were all ipod touches.

The girls both have ipod touch 4th gen. bought at the same time,approx 6mths ago.(one of those is the one not charging in either ihome, but plays music)

My son has an ipod touch 2nd gen, bought used... his charges.

The ihomes are IP15 glowtunes just got for xmas...

Let me know what you think, I am willing to try anything. Or if you need more info. I plan to bring both ihomes and all three ipod touches to the apple store next week and see if they can help with this mystery. Any help would be appreciated.

I think the one not charging has icloud and the others don't, but I believe I did that after I found out it wasn't charging on the ihome. I plugged it into the laptop to update it, and I added icloud. Although I did a restore, so now not sure if it has icloud still.

Last edited:

kornchild2002

Just making sure that both daughters have a 4G iPod touch. The first thing I would do is check the non-charging iPod touch with other accessories. Try different accessories that are supposed to charge a 4G iPod touch. Keep in mind that older accessories (i.e. ones for the 2G iPod touch) may not work since the 3G and 4G iPod touch models switched charging standards. Try something newer instead.

The next thing I would do is make sure the non-charging iPod's dock connector is clean and that all the connectors are clearly visible. When the non-charging iPod is plugged into the iHome unit, is there anything that comes up on the iPod's display? Does it mention anything about compatibility?

abbykitty

The other charging accessories we have is the usb cord to laptop and that works and a jensen radio. It shows a lightening bolt on the battery while that is plugged in too. Nothing shows on the screen it does play tho. I have turned the volume loud and know it is coming from the ihome. I have tried without case on the ipod also. This is Just really weird.

abbykitty

I went to the apple store today. At first he was stumped, but then said there was a bent pin in the connection port. He said there are 30 pins and they all have different jobs. This is why it charged with some devices but not the ihomes. They replaced the ipod.

kornchild2002

I guess that goes back to when I said "make sure all the connectors are clearly visible." So I was in the right area, I just didn't know exactly what was going on. I thought it was strange that the iHome wasn't charging that model yet worked with all the other ones. It might have a shallower dock connector or one that is slightly thinner than the standard USB dock connector cables that Apple sends out with their iPods, iPhones, and iPads.