Proble going from old 30 gig classic to new 160 gig classic

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Seismic Sam

Problem going from old 30 gig classic to new 160 gig classic

I've had a 30 gig Classic for probably 7 years, and the headphone jack finally broke a connection inside. Got a brand new 160 gig Classic for Christmas, hooked it up to my iTunes, and all the music obligingly loaded onto the new iPod no problem.

However, in my iTunes library, I have about a 50/50 mix of older manually created playlists and newer smart playlists. On my old iPod, the playlist is alphabetized correctly from A to Z, regardless of whether it's a manual playlist or smart playlist.

On my new iPod, the smart playlists are listed alphabetically first, and then the manual playlists are listed alphabetically second, which makes searching for a certain playlist a huge pain in the butt.

Can anything be done about this to get all the playlists listed alphabetically in one string?? Or am I SOL on this, and have to convert all of one kind of playlist to the other kind manually to work around this problem?

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

SS

Last edited:

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Unfortunately, there's really nothing you can do about the sort order of playlists themselves (playlist contents yes, but not the playlist names within the playlist category). Somewhere along the line Apple changed this, and you're not likely going to see another firmware update for such an aged product line.

About the only thing you can do is make a smart playlist for each regular playlist, then sync just the smart versions of the playlists, along with your current smart playlists.

Seismic Sam

Thanks, rock!! I had a bad feeling that was the answer, but I thought I'd take the shot and ask. The only really PITA part of it is that all my playlists are custom sorted rather than in album order, so I have a lot of work ahead of me.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Thanks, rock!! I had a bad feeling that was the answer, but I thought I'd take the shot and ask. The only really PITA part of it is that all my playlists are custom sorted rather than in album order, so I have a lot of work ahead of me.
Just to be sure, you're talking about the sorting of playlist names, not the sorting within a playlist, right?

If you are talking about the sorting of songs inside a playlist, you do have control over that. Just get things sorted how you want them in iTunes, then right-click on the playlist name and select "Copy to play order" and re-sync your iPod.

Seismic Sam

You are correct. The problem is the sorting of the playlist names. I'll probably rename all my manual playlist names with a -m suffix. The real problem is going to be creating a smart playlist that doesn't automatically grab all the songs by a certain album name or artist, and then having to laboriously change the play order within the playlist to match my old manual playlist. About the only way around that that I can think of is to have a dummy song to select with the smart playlist, and then cut and paste the song selections from the manual playlist into the smart playlist and nuke the dummy song. Don't know if that will work or not.