• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

"Movie was not copied because it cannot be played"

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

DynastyForce

OK I took my copy of Toy Story 2, ran it through DVD Shrink then through Handbrake to get it to a mpeg-4 file. then I loaded the file into iTunes and plugged in my RED iPod Nano 8 GB and when I tried to transfer the movie file to the iPod it said:

"Movie was not copied to the iPod because it cannot be played on this iPod".

What does that mean? How do I fix it? I was told I can play movies on this iPod, it's got a folder for movies and TV shows in the directory? Please help.

Do not spam the forums with this topic. I have deleted your other posts. Keep your questions to this thread.

DynastyForce

honeybee1236 said:
Do not spam the forums with this topic. I have deleted your other posts. Keep your questions to this thread.
WOW... Of all the forums I'm in on the net this is the first where someone has blatenly come out and attacked me for SPAM. Bravo Honeybee.

Did you read my post in the 1 (one) other forum??? Yeah Let's see a newcomer (myself) posts a question in the iPod Nano forum and is directed by another poster that I should post my question in this forum to get a better answer. Hence I then post a similar (but rephrased) question more specific to my problem here.

Then you come in and blast me for SPAM... Bravo honeybee you have single-handedly redefined the term SPAM for me.

DynastyForce

Sparkee said:
What preset did you use in HandBrake? Using the iPod High-Rez or iPod Low-Rez should create an iPod compatible movie.

Thank you so much Sparkee for responding... after 70+ views and no help I was beginning to think this forum was useless. I do see the presets in Handbrake but I didn't choose one as I thought it was automative.

Is there a preset that you would recommend:

- iPod Hihg-rez vs. iPod Low-Rez?

Does it boil down to size? I would prefer the best image and would sacrifice a larger mpeg-4 size to get that... if that is my case should I preset to the iPod High-Rez?

Again thanks for your help.

Sparkee

If you intend on connecting the iPod to a TV, using an Apple TV connected to a larger TV or watching the video on a larger screen such as a computer use the hi-rez setting. It uses a larger resolution, 640x480, and a higher bitrate which looks better on larger screens.

The lo-rez setting is 320x240 and a lower bitrate which will have a smaller file size and looks good on the iPod's small screen but not as good on larger screens.

Some will recommend using the DVD's native 720x480 or an anamorphic resolution setting for newer iPods. I have not had much success using these settings since I have an older 5G iPod video which is a little more strick with video files. I stick with the iPod hi-rez setting in Handbrake for a good reliable and compatible format that works on all my iPods whether it is connected to a TV or not. The hi-rez video also looks great on my Apple TV whcih is connected to a 40" LCD TV.

DynastyForce

Sparkee said:
If you intend on connecting the iPod to a TV, using an Apple TV connected to a larger TV or watching the video on a larger screen such as a computer use the hi-rez setting. It uses a larger resolution, 640x480, and a higher bitrate which looks better on larger screens.

The lo-rez setting is 320x240 and a lower bitrate which will have a smaller file size and looks good on the iPod's small screen but not as good on larger screens.

Some will recommend using the DVD's native 720x480 or an anamorphic resolution setting for newer iPods. I have not had much success using these settings since I have an older 5G iPod video which is a little more strick with video files. I stick with the iPod hi-rez setting in Handbrake for a good reliable and compatible format that works on all my iPods whether it is connected to a TV or not. The hi-rez video also looks great on my Apple TV whcih is connected to a 40" LCD TV.
Awesome Sparkee and again thank you for taking the time to respond.

One more question I have Handbrake opened and the size "Width/Heither is higlighted in green. In autoimported the size 640 x _______, but left the other half blank do I need to fill this in? Or should I be changing it altogether depending on which version (high-rez or low-rez) I decide to go with?

again thanks.

Sparkee

Do not change the setting, no matter what preset you choose Handbrake will automatically set the second part of the resolution depending on what format the original video is in. For example the hi-rez setting will set the width to 640 pixels then set the height to keep the original videos aspect ratio. I believe a converted standard definition TV show will be 640x480, a HD TV show will end up roughly 640x350 and wide screen movie from a DVD will be aprox 640x270.

mafio maverick

im going insane

ok so i have tried multiple conversion tools right now i am using cucusoft ultimate and i still get the same results i cant get the movie to transfer to my itunes or my ipod it gives me the movie was not copied error someone plz help

Sparkee

Patients, the forum is not as active as it once was. It takes a little time for the right person to read and respond.

I would assume you are choosing the wrong preset when converting the video. I don't think the video requirements on the 6G iPods are as restrictive as the 5G were but if you exceed the specs the video will not transfer to the iPod. Even if the video meets the requirements the audio track must be in an AAC format rather than the more common mp3.

Try using a preset specific to the iPod, a universal, iPhone or iPad preset may not work for the iPod. You can also try testing if the video is in iTunes by converting it using the Advanced/Create iPod version.

HandBrake is a highly recommended tool here, if it's Universal preset doesn't work it's iPod preset should. The Legacy/Classic or iPod Legacy may be required for the 6G but are a must for a 5/5.5G iPod.

mafio maverick

its still the same thing going on heres my log

### Windows GUI 0.9.4 2009112300
### Running: Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
###
### CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.40GHz
### Ram: 1014 MB
### Screen: 1024x768
### Temp Dir: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\
### Install Dir: C:\Program Files\Handbrake
### Data Dir: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\HandBrake\HandBrake\0.9.4.0
#########################################

[06:29:36] hb_init: checking cpu count
[06:29:36] hb_init: starting libhb thread
HandBrake 0.9.4 (2009112300) - MinGW i386 - HandBrake
1 CPU detected
Opening C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\FrostWire\Torrent Data\Friends.with.Benefits.2011.ENG.HDRip.1400MB.avi...
[06:29:36] hb_scan: path=C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\FrostWire\Torrent Data\Friends.with.Benefits.2011.ENG.HDRip.1400MB.avi, title_index=0
[06:29:36] scan: trying to open with libdvdread
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.1.3
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdnav: vm: failed to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
[06:29:37] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
Input #0, avi, from 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\FrostWire\Torrent Data\Friends.with.Benefits.2011.ENG.HDRip.1400MB.avi':
Duration: 01:49:25.44, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1792 kb/s
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 720x304 [PAR 1:1 DAR 45:19], 23.98 tbr, 23.98 tbn, 23.98 tbc
Stream #0.1: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1, s16, 384 kb/s
[06:29:38] scan: decoding previews for title 1
Scanning title 1 of 1...
[06:29:38] scan: audio 0x1: AC-3, rate=48000Hz, bitrate=384000 Unknown (AC3) (5.1 ch)
Scanning title 1 of 1...
[06:29:38] scan: 10 previews, 720x304, 23.976 fps, autocrop = 0/0/0/0, aspect 2.37:1, PAR 1:1
[06:29:38] scan: title (0) job->width:720, job->height:304
[06:29:38] libhb: scan thread found 1 valid title(s)
+ title 1:
+ vts 0, ttn 0, cells 0->0 (0 blocks)
+ angle(s) 0
+ duration: 01:49:25
+ size: 720x304, pixel aspect: 1/1, display aspect: 2.37, 23.976 fps
+ autocrop: 0/0/0/0
+ chapters:
+ 1: cells 0->0, 0 blocks, duration 01:49:25
+ audio tracks:
+ 1, Unknown (AC3) (5.1 ch) (iso639-2: und), 48000Hz, 384000bps
+ subtitle tracks:
HandBrake has exited.