The official iPhone discussion thread

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

shayne1134

Iphone trouble please help

hey recently , in the ipod app on my iphone, it stopped sorting my songs and artists. etc by letter, it shows the a, then some a starting songs, then i can no longer touch the bar at the side and quickly go to a letter and pick a song, i have to scroll through the whole list and find the song, its not that big of a deal but it is very annoying that i cant jump to a song that starts with a letter other than A. if anyone knows how to fix this any help is appreciated and thankyou.

Willie5566

Actually, I know plenty of people who only want a phone to make calls. Some people simply don't care about mp3 players, music, etc. Personally, I love technology and the smartphones and all that jazz, but the fact is, there's a fair margin of people who simply don't care about all that stuff. They want a phone with a clear signal, and that's all they need.
Yes they are called grandma and grandpa. Yes, there are people that just want a phone. There are also people that are happy in their trailer park. To each their own. If you have been out of a cave in the past 5 years you will also know that the majority seek increased functionality. Look at the phones being produced today. It is hard to find just regular phones with no bells and whistles.

My point is people like to point out the exception rather than the norm. The reality is simple phones will continue to go the way of the rotary phone due to the market demanding more technology.

I made the switch to verizon a year ago. I knew I would sacrifice coverage. Boy did I ever! I do not regret it one bit due to the tool I picked up by making the switch. I use my phone for personal and business and fits both very well. I have sinced eliminated my work provided Sprint phone and now have 2 lines going to my iPhone. I continue to find more and more ways to utilize my phone to improve my life. It is amazing.

alexarch

iPhone 4: 64 GB

Two questions for iLounge, editors or whomever:

1) Given Apple's history of updates to its products and the costs of flash memory, how long — a best guess would be great — do I have to wait for a 64 GB iPhone? Pre-Christmas when Apple presumably updates its iPods? June/July 2011? Somewhere in between? Never?

2) Are there companies or services out there that will replace the built-in memory with increased memory? Ie, take out a 16 GB flash chip, replace it with a 64 GB flash chip, and hack the firmware to support the increased memory? I understand that this would void the Apple warranty.

Thank you very much.

NawdaKh

Two questions for iLounge, editors or whomever:

1) Given Apple's history of updates to its products and the costs of flash memory, how long — a best guess would be great — do I have to wait for a 64 GB iPhone? Pre-Christmas when Apple presumably updates its iPods? June/July 2011? Somewhere in between? Never?

2) Are there companies or services out there that will replace the built-in memory with increased memory? Ie, take out a 16 GB flash chip, replace it with a 64 GB flash chip, and hack the firmware to support the increased memory? I understand that this would void the Apple warranty.

Thank you very much.
A 64gb chip is significantly more expensive than the 32gb. Hope for next year. No guarantee. I would not expect to see it before next year's iPhone release in June.

And so far, no companies that I am aware of offer that service.

iphoneHD

In the past, they have kept the iPod Touch with a max that was double the Flash Memory of the iPhone. Currently that's 64Gb for the iPod Touch. Maybe it was to expensive to upgrade the iPod Touch to a higher capacity, so they left the max at 32Gb for the iPhone.

nixter

In the past, they have kept the iPod Touch with a max that was double the Flash Memory of the iPhone. Currently that's 64Gb for the iPod Touch. Maybe it was to expensive to upgrade the iPod Touch to a higher capacity, so they left the max at 32Gb for the iPhone.
They do it to maintain market separation. They have to differ the 2 products in enough ways so that they each have their own separate appeal.

GTrance

Did the queuing up thing at Perth's (Australia) new Apple store yesterday and went home a happy camper (pardon the pun as I didn't camp... I go tthe first bus into the city and arrived at the store at 6am).

And I am still very happy indeed.

I have yet to experience the grip of death, and methinks I probably won't, ever, as I have used the phone to make several calls with varying signal strengths.

What I am really happy about is the responsiveness of the touchscreen, and its relation to using the zoom functionality. It's so much smoother and easier than that of the 3GS. Moreover, the pinch-to-zoom function works when browsing Google and a couple of other sites which didn't support it when using the 3GS. Hell yeah!! Colour me delighted!

Talking of colour, while I might be technically/legally blind, I do see colour very well (the full spectrum in fact). My word... The only portable media device whose screen rivals that of the iPhone 4 is the Cowon S9/J3 mp3 player. It's impressive. AMOLED impressive! I only wish I still had my S9 so as to do a side-by-side comparison.

I am only now, at 1am, transferring music and other funky stuff to the phone, having been without the net at my place. I needed iTunes 9.2 before I could do anything, and I am looking forward to seeing/hearing if the sound quality is really a marked improvement than that offered by the 3GS (which kind of failed to really bring my Sennheiser IE8 earphones to life in the same manner the S9 did). Not long now!

I am also most impressed wth the desing and build quality of the iPhone4. About the only thing I would change would be the volume buttons, which imo should be more of a rhombus shape than a rather retro perfect circle (I get this pickiness with form from my mother lol!). Form over function nonsense aside, the camera has met my every expectation. I look forward to taking snaps when I travel to Melbourne to see Armin van Buuren perform Armin Only at the city's indoor football oval on NYE! Yup, it's almost as good as a standalone point and shoot camera.

The purchase was well worth every cent and every second spent in line. :D

Pearson

Original Hardcore Gamer
Will we ever see an increase of screen size and the use of flash in the near future with iPhone? I like to visit sporting websites to get updates on my favorite teams, but get frustrated because I can't watch a video highlight because of no flash. I also like to check out YouTube as well, but I'd also to watch videos on a bigger screen. These are probably the two biggest reasons I've had friends and family alike either switch to Droid phones from iPhones or pass over the iPhone for Droid.

marymagnolia

I heard that Apple iPhone 5 will be released this year. Do you guys have an idea when will be the exact date the Apple iPhone 5 will be out for orders?

And also, what are the differences between iPhone 4 and iPhone 5? will it make any sense if I will buy the new iPhone 5 if I already owned an iPhone 4?

:confused::confused::confused:

JJinGA

I heard that Apple iPhone 5 will be released this year. Do you guys have an idea when will be the exact date the Apple iPhone 5 will be out for orders?

And also, what are the differences between iPhone 4 and iPhone 5? will it make any sense if I will buy the new iPhone 5 if I already owned an iPhone 4?

:confused::confused::confused:
Rumor is it will be out around 10 days after the big announcement this tuesday. Nobody knows for sure, but the pros are saying it will be completely revamped and I agree. Iphone 4 is so far behind the Samsung infuse 4g it is unreal. Plus the Samsung Galaxy S2 is due out monday and its is supposed to blow away the Infuse. Im ready to upgrade myself and just waiting to see how the S2 compares to the iphone 5. I will make up my mind with the next month. ;)

Briani

The official iPhone discussion

Congratulations on another successful keynote speech. It goes without saying that you’ve outdone yourself. Once again, you’ve exceeded all expectations and laid the question of competition to rest.

While I must acknowledge that your new iPhone is incredibly innovative, I admit that I was hoping to something a bit more in line with your previous exploits. Specifically, I was looking for the fabled 6G iPod.

I realize that announcing an iPod with similar functionality minus the phone and internet capabilities would put somewhat of a damper on the fanfare of the day. However, it would also send another shot across Microsoft’s bow as their Zune hype bubble continues to deflate.

A widescreen is great for internet browsing, but I believe that it is best utilized to view movies. With your recent deal with Paramount, you have the perfect foundation to launch a new line of iPods. I envision an iPod that is scratch-resistant, usable without having to view the screen, and Bluetooth enabled. I dream of capacities of 60GB or more along with firewire connectivity. The accelerometer that you included in the iPhone could be used to detect a sudden freefall, shutting down the hard drive to prevent further damage upon impact.

So I have the following declaration for you, Steve Jobs: I have $500 set aside. In fact, it has been set aside for the past 4 months since my previous iPod suffered water damage and I heard rumors of a touchscreen update. The day you release this requested update, I give you my word that you will be at least $500 more wealthy. A man of your current affluence may not mark the significance of an additional $500. But take it as both a show of good faith, and an acknowledgement that behind me there is an army of consumers who are holding out for the same thing.

Regards
this one +1

Shape08

Recently got an iphone 4 and downloaded 2 local sports radio apps so I can listen at work. I am getting constant skipping with both them. I also downloaded the "tunein" radio app. Again getting a bunch of skipping.

Any ideas what may be wrong?

sweeties

I love iphone 4s, but the thing is that the battery can not last for long.

Damiand

Any idea when the new iphone will be released and what new features it may hold?