Official iPod touch Discussion Thread

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

nsanders

I have a very basic question regarding the iPod Touch ...

Is the iPod Touch 4th gen simply an iPhone without the calling capabilities?

What I mean is ... Does it do everything an iPhone does except make calls?

Website
www.ilounge.com
Hi and welcome to iLounge.

Almost, but not quite. There are a few other subtle differences beyond the obvious.

The obvious difference is no cellular capabilities at all... This includes making phone calls, using data when away from a Wi-Fi access point, and sending and receiving text messages. iOS 5 will introduce "iMessage" to provide inter-iOS device messaging, but it's unclear whether that will allow you to send traditional SMS messages to other phones (i.e., non-Apple devices).

Other more subtle differences include the camera, which not only lacks the LED flash of the iPhone 4 but also only sports a 0.7 megapixel resolution versus the iPhone 4's 5MP camera, and also lacks features such as auto-focus and HDR photography modes. The video camera resolutions are the same (both 720p), but the lack of the auto-focus features will likely produce a difference in the results you get.

The iPhone 4 also includes an actual GPS chip, whereas the iPod touch relies on nearby Wi-Fi access points for location information. The iPhone 4 also has a brighter and higher-contrast screen with a fingerprint-resistant coating.

On the upside, you can buy an iPod touch in a 64GB capacity whereas the iPhone 4 tops out at 32GB. The iPod touch is also considerably slimmer and ultimately much cheaper than the iPhone once you factor in the costs of a contract cellular phone plan or the contract-free purchase price. Of course, if you're carrying a cell phone anyway that you're able to or willing to replace with an iPhone, the cost of the plan may or may not be a big factor as you're paying that amount every month regardless.

nsanders

Thank you for this very thorough reply. This is exactly the information I was looking for.

Poda

How much would a 3 month old Ipod touch 8gb second gen be worth if sold for parts or repair. (Everything works but you can't change the volume it only plays at one volume)
You can't get 3 month old second gens, they became obsolete in September 2009 when they started to make the 3rd gen model.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Actually, the "third-generation" 8GB iPod touch was in reality just a second-generation model, basically identical to the one that was discontinued in 2009. This means that Apple didn't stop selling it until September of 2010 when the fourth-generation iPod touch was released.

Simply because Apple stopped selling the older iPod touch models doesn't mean other retailers followed suit -- they would have wanted to clear out any old stock. Further, even Apple had refurbished models of the older devices on sale at least until Christmas. Since you're replying to a post from March, it's perfectly reasonable that the person could have bought a new second-generation iPod touch around that timeframe.

kellybrown

Its an nice idea to launch the ipod touch. I used I pod its touch is really nice. And its in my suggestion is a user friendly device. you scroll on it quite easily. And I have installed many application on it. Now I can view my Website Templates very easily on it. And with the use touch screen so I can sroll him to any size and any width easily for the better view.

DaveGood

Afternoon all,

Have to be honest and say I've not used sharepod for quite awhile but it appears that the programs no longer working, every time I open it up I get a windows sharepod is not working error. Tried a reinstall but still no luck.

Are there any other good free programs which don't have limits? Thanks

vlasicated

ipod touch 4g questions...

Hey!

I just got my ipod touch a few days ago (just before the new comes out)
its AWESOME jailbroke it and use appsync to get all my cracked apps through itunes,(where i live its a pain in the ### to download wirelessly) but when i woke up this morning i saw in the lower left corner there was a light leak,im thinking of sealing it with black silicone,any other suggestions?

2.my ipod touch heats up very much is there any other way to cool it down except lowering brightness?

3.why does it lag when i swipe to spotlight? i dont have any themes but i used glasklart for a while but it seens the same,do themes slow down your ipod?

if you answer even one of those questions i will be grateful.:D

FreeskierRocco

Problems

My iPod keeps turning off and on. If I unlock it during the on stage, it will work until I hit the home or power buttons, then it will shut off.

I've restored it multiple times, but it doesn't change anything. The battery will be full after charging it, and will maintain charge for the right amount of time, so I do not believe it is the battery.

Has this happened to anyone?

Thanks for any help!

Rocco

kicksilver

Guys, I got a 4th gen last week and I'm loving it, except the rear camera pictures.

How come it records at 1280x720, but only takes picutres at 960x720?

It there any way to make use of that extra width? Will iOS 5 uncap the camera and maybe the processor's frequency?

Thank you.

Website
www.ilounge.com
The maximum resolution of the camera is 1280x720, which is 720p HD for video. However, this produces a 16:9 aspect ratio (widescreen) which is not typical for photos and definitely wouldn't be what most users would want or expect. Hence, the sides are cropped for still photos leaving you with 960x720 for a more normal 4:3 aspect ratio.

It's extremely unlikely that iOS 5 will change this, particularly since Apple is likely to be releasing an entirely new iPod touch model in the next few weeks.

kicksilver

The maximum resolution of the camera is 1280x720, which is 720p HD for video. However, this produces a 16:9 aspect ratio (widescreen) which is not typical for photos and definitely wouldn't be what most users would want or expect. Hence, the sides are cropped for still photos leaving you with 960x720 for a more normal 4:3 aspect ratio.

It's extremely unlikely that iOS 5 will change this, particularly since Apple is likely to be releasing an entirely new iPod touch model in the next few weeks.
I see. I really like the video recording, looks very nice.

But the pictures don't look good at all, only when taken under abundant sunlight, and using the focus feature... But the video quality seem far superior, even if it had the same resolution.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Unfortunately with all the buzz around "HD" people actually forget that video recording resolutions have always been inferior to still photo resolutions. Even the cheapest point-and-shoot cameras these days are around 5 megapixels, and most camera are now easily in the 8 - 10 MP range.

By contrast, even a 1080p HD video camera is only recording at 1920 x 1080, which works out to only around 2 megapixels. A 720p HD video is only around 0.9 megapixels and standard-definition video is around 0.3 megapixels.

harika

i think its good job really working good on providing fourm, you guys are doing good job on dragging interests good post,but as others are saying, the capacity isn't enough and the touch shouldn't really be the high end iPod.

line2

well Mr. E the new 4th generation has all those features you are talking about. With wifi capabilities, external speaker, a back facing camera with mic, a front facing camera, app capable, push notification, and multitasking with push it is exactly what you are looking for. It is now become a great wifi VOIP phone with chat/SMS/Voip calling as well as the new ios 5 with all it's great new features like notification center, icloud, and imessenger and many more great features

pd3000

connection ipod-router

hi, i have an ipod and a router but i just can't get online on the ipod. i thought i just had to put the password of the router to login in the ipod but i dont have the internet access in the ipod. my router is an SMC, and i have an ipod touch. can someone help me?thanks

banballow

After nearly 2 years with no iPods (been using DSi, PSP, and most recently 3DS as music players), I got myself a shiny new 8GB Touch (Pearly White) for Christmas. Loving it so far! Not only can I finally play that copy of Mirror's Edge I downloaded last September, but my entire libraries on both Comixology (admittedly, a bit small) and Nook (a bit bigger) are at my fingertips. Plus, the whole messaging things a nice touch, as I can communicate (around WiFi) with other family members' iPhones. Double plus, I have a decent camera with me for pictures and video. I know there are rumors about a more better Touch right around the corner, but very happy with my purchase, though I do kind of wish I'd waited a bit longer and got the 16GB. C'est la vie!

LiliB

Fantastic looking dock?

I have been shopping around for accessories for my ipod touch, i've found the Bayan audio, Bayan 7 docking station which I think looks amazing, any thoughts?

banballow

It's quickly becoming apparent that I should have sprung for the 32GB Touch. Already having to shuffle games in and out (losing saves in the process), and there's no room for the few shows and movies I have on iTunes. What to do, what to do?

I didn't have this problem with my 1G Touch, but then the only game I had on that was Tetris... no Mirror's Edge, no Touch Detective, and certainly no 990MB Batman.

Maybe I can weed out a bit of the music on my iPod that I don't really listen to.