iPhone external speakers have stopped working

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

chuckweinberger

I have a 3G iPhone running 2.0.2.

Yesterday I plugged in the earbuds for the first time to listen to some music. Once I removed the earbuds the external speakers should've re-engaged, but they did not. There is no sound emitting from the external speakers regardless of the application that I'm using. The phone doesn't even play a ring tone when a call comes in (although it does vibrate).

I know that the iPhone detects that I have unplugged the earbuds because the iPhone changes the speaker volume from the earbud volume to the external speaker volume, but still, there is no sound output via the external speakers. I still get sound from the earbuds if I plug them back in

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem???

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
try pluggin in the headphones and playing music. Then, pause the music with the ear buds and pull out the buds in one quick motion. If that doesn't do it I would perform a restore through iTunes, if that doesn't fix the problem then bring it to apple for a replacement.

chuckweinberger

tried the pause/remove earbuds trick but it didn't fix the problem. I then forced a full system reset, but likewise, the external speakers won't make a sound.

Looks like I'm off to the Apple Store, unless anyone else has a suggestion.

-Chuck

Shameless1

Been around a while
chuckweinberger said:
tried the pause/remove earbuds trick but it didn't fix the problem. I then forced a full system reset, but likewise, the external speakers won't make a sound.

Looks like I'm off to the Apple Store, unless anyone else has a suggestion.

-Chuck
Have you gone into setting in the iphone gone to ipod and make sure sound check is not on and volume limit is off ???

Shameless1

Ed2020

chuckweinberger said:
I then forced a full system reset
How did you do this? If you did it through the Settings menu it would be worthwhile doing a full restore (not from backup) in iTunes before you make the trek to Apple.

Ed.

chuckweinberger

I tried all of the suggestions posted here, and nothing worked.

I took the phone into the Apple Store, and the "Apple Genius" couldn't fix it either. He said that he had never seen or heard of this problem. Apple provided me with a new phone, which works just fine.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Chuck

george247

i have the exact same problem as Chuck, none of the suggested ways to fix my iphone work

i was wondering when you took it to a apple store, did u need the orginal box or anything ?
thanks, George

rnav2174

IPhone External Speakers Not Working

I was having an issue with the sound on my IPhone 3GS and eventually started Googling to try and find a solution to this issue when I came across this site. I checked the settings for the IPhone and IPod as suggested by some other members and also checked the internal speakers by playing a song while using my earbuds and then disconnecting them to see if the externals would kick on but nothing happened. I still had no sound no matter what I tried. Anyway, it wasn't until I connected the phone to my Macbook Pro so I could go into Itunes to restore it that I noticed that the external speakers starting producing sound as soon as I touched the connection of my cable to the port on the bottom of the phone. I'm not really sure what the connection of the port is to the external speakers but now my phone is working fine. For how long I'm not sure. I'll probably have to swing by Apple eventually to tell them what happened and get a replacement phone but for now , everything seems to be OK. When I touched the wide end of the cable to the connection on the phone, it was just a slight touch, and then when I pulled it away, the sound would go off until I touched it again and then eventually after about 3 tries the sound would stay on as if nothing happened. Anyway, I'm sure it's a loose connection of some kind either at the port or a little deeper inside on the board. Just wanted to pass this on to anyone who might need some help with the external speaker issue on their phone before they went down to Apple. Hope it helps someone else.

Last edited:

rnav2174

IPhone External Speakers Not Working

I guess I could've added this to my original reply about the speaker issue on the IPhone. Well as expected my external speaker issue on my 3GS was due to a bad connection at the bottom of the phone where you attach the wide part of the sync cable to the phone. When the cable is plugged in and moved from side to side, the sound goes in and out. To keep the sound going without having the cable attached, I had to back it out very slowly. I'll be going back to ATT and then Apple for a replacement soon. As before , I hope this information can help someone out there with their IPhone external speaker problem.

Maatt

iPod speaker sounds really distorted

Hello all,
I have a white iPod 4th gen, and the speaker does work, but it sounds really really distorted, any ideas what I can do without going to the apple store or sending it away for repair? Any suggestions will be appreciated thanks,
Matt

drfawadk

I have a 3G iPhone running 2.0.2.

Yesterday I plugged in the earbuds for the first time to listen to some music. Once I removed the earbuds the external speakers should've re-engaged, but they did not. There is no sound emitting from the external speakers regardless of the application that I'm using. The phone doesn't even play a ring tone when a call comes in (although it does vibrate).

I know that the iPhone detects that I have unplugged the earbuds because the iPhone changes the speaker volume from the earbud volume to the external speaker volume, but still, there is no sound output via the external speakers. I still get sound from the earbuds if I plug them back in

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem???

Thanks in advance,

Chuck
Hi,

I tried plugging in out a hundred times, swtich on off, reset, hard reset, silent button on off. but in my case a strange thing worked.

I am using iphone 4 IOS 6.0.1 its 2 years old, a few days ago my iphone esternal speakers stopped working.

No ring tones, no video or audio sound, no game sounds, no nothing.

I took my device to Apple Fairview Mall Toronto, it was NOT under warranty so they said they will replace it for CAD $169 plus tax. I refused and came back thinking to try to replace the speakers my self or try to downgrade it my be its the IOS hich.
I saw this thread, and many other youtube videos but nothing worked for me.

3 days without external speakers, then I received a skype call .

My phone external speaker started working right with the comencement of the skype call.
I realized and hung up skype call and called my cell from land line and it rang.

WOW!!! Thank God it worked. Every thing, all sounds are back. Great!!!

Those who are trying different thing plz try this too.
My skype version is 4.2.2604

Good luck.

Last edited:

drfawadk

my iphone4 esternal speakers STARTED working

Hi,

I tried plugging in out a hundred times, swtich on off, reset, hard reset, silent button on off. but in my case a strange thing worked.

I am using iphone 4 IOS 6.0.1 its 2 years old, a few days ago my iphone esternal speakers stopped working.

No ring tones, no video or audio sound, no game sounds, no nothing.

I took my device to Apple Fairview Mall Toronto, it was NOT under warranty so they said they will replace it for CAD $169 plus tax. I refused and came back thinking to try to replace the speakers my self or try to downgrade it my be its the IOS hich.
I saw this thread, and many other youtube videos but nothing worked for me.

3 days without external speakers, then I received a skype call .

My phone external speaker started working right with the comencement of the skype call.
I realized and hung up skype call and called my cell from land line and it rang.

WOW!!! Thank God it worked. Every thing, all sounds are back. Great!!!

Those who are trying different thing plz try this too.
My skype version is 4.2.2604

Good luck.