Audible Book Recommendations - Post yours here

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

TheSquare

Recently listened to the Twilight audiobooks, they are preeeetty good. Also you can't go wrong with Stephen Fry reading all the Harry Potter books, haven't got round to listening to the 7th book yeh though!

jloden

Website
www.lodensoftware.com
The "Odd Thomas" series books by Dean Koontz.

I like a lot of Dean Koontz's books.

The first Dean Koontz book I listened to was called "Watchers." I think it is still my favorite Dean Koontz book.

katpatmac

Audible book favs

Q&A by Vikas Swarup, made into the movie Slumdog Millionaire... read brilliantly!
All of the Harry Potter books... I believe are read by Jim Dine... and I'm kind of embarrassed to admit how much I enjoyed listening to these books!

meapple

"The Pluto Files" Neil deGrasse Tyson. He's a rock start and his love of science is contagious. I would also suggest googling his Beyond Belief conference talk.

Last edited by a moderator:

gmfloyd

I've belonged to Audible a couple of years now and should be close to a 100 audiobooks for the year, not all from Audible. Some of my favorites:

1: Empire of Man (The Prince Roger Series) - David Weber and John Ringo - One of my all time favorites - 4 books - I loved these books. Go in my top 5 list
a: March Upcountry
b: March to the sea
c: March to the Space
d: We Few
2: Anathem - Neal Stephenson (anything by Neal Stephenson is good) - Fantastic book -requires some deep thought as do most Stephenson books.
3: Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson - Very unique book.
4: The Hyperion Cantos - Dan Simmons - classic series - Dan Simmons is one of those rare multi-genre writers
a: Hyperion
b: Fall of Hyperion
c: Endymion
d: Rise of Endymion
5: American Gods - Neal Gaiman
6: Series by Peter F. Hamilton - Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained are 2 of my top 10 books
1: a: Pandora's Star
b: Judas Unchained
2: The Reality Dysfunction or The Night Dawn Series - great series but you will disapear for a while
a: The Reality Dysfunction
b: The Neutronium Alchemist
c: The Naked God
7: The Lost Fleet - Jack Campbell - good military sci-fi
a: Dauntless
b: Fearless
c: Courageous
d: Valiant
e: Relentless
8: Legend of the Aldenato - John Ringo -fun books
a: A Hymn Before Battle
b: Gust Front
c: When the Devil Dances
d: Hell's faire
e: Yellow Eyes
Several More in series
9: Neuromancer - William Gibson
10: Virtual Light - William Gibson
11: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert Heinlein
12: Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
13: Lonesome Dove Series - Larry McMurtry
a: Dead Man's Walk
b: Commanche Moon
c: Lonsome Dove
d: The Streets of Laredo
14: Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy - One of the great american writers
15: No Country For Old Men - Cormac McCarthy
16: Tourist Season - Carl Hiasson - Had passengers on a plane looking at me as I continually burst out laughing. Striptease is another good one.
17: A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson - it has been mentioned several times in this thread.
18: Dune - Frank Herbert - Classic Sci-Fi -
19: The Takeshi Kovacs Trilogy - Richard K. Morgan
a: Altered Carbon
b: Broken Angels
c: Woken Furies
20: Miles Vorkosigan Series - Lois McMaster Bujold - good series.

I hope others will enjoy these books as much as I did.

-Greg

Spankleburger

It's Only a Movie by Mark Kermode.
Fantastic unabridged listen to a true movie lover.
He's a funny guy.

FutureProof_

Website
audiobookdownloads.org
Anything by Malcolm Gladwell (I just finished What the Dog Saw). He has an amazing ability to make the mundane interesting. Plus, he reads his own books and does an awesome job of it.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. I wouldn't normally have picked this audio book, but I saw it on a number of "Best of 2010" lists so I decided to give it a go. Wow, what a compelling true story. It tackles big themes such as race, class and and the role of ethics in science.

andg

The Classics!

I loved reading these lists of favorites from these other posts, as they overlap so many of mine!

However, I don't see any of these classics that I have discovered are excellent "reads," especially b/c of wonderful narration:

1. The Great Train Robbery. Excellent! Historical background mad this so very interesting.

2. Captains Courageous. Also excellent!

3. Treasure Island. As an adult, I see how this would appeal to a younger audience, but I wouldn't bill it as a jr reader.

If you will forgive me for digressing from these classics, I will also recommend:

Neil Gaiman is an excellent author, and one of the best narrators I've listened to!

I've read both "Skeletons at the Feast" and "the Double Bind" by Chris Bohjalian. Both were excellent!

Ahhh.... I love books! Audio books too :)

robert

Retired
Recommended Literary Fiction, Quality non-fiction and a few just plain fun books

Really Liked Hi-Quality Mostly Fiction Audio Books. X*=amazon review rating; K=avail on Kindle; ac=avail on audible.com. *=recent additions.
If you click on "My Book Recommends" link in my signature below, it will take you to my blog which has this list with most of the titles linked to its amazon.com book page so you can easily get to a book summary/review and quickly link to audible.com for the books offered by them.
Cutting for Stone 4+* K&ac by Abraham Verghese
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle 3* K&ac by David Wroblewski (read Hamlet or a summary of Hamlet to understand this story, especially the ending.)
The History of Love 4* K&ac, by Nicole Kraus
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close 4* K&ac & Everything Is Illuminated: A Novelby Jonathan Safran Foer (spouse of Nicole Kraus)
A Bend in the River 4* K by V.S. Naipual (Pulitzer winner for overall writing)
*Wallace Stegner: Crossing to Safety 4+* K &ac, Pulitzer winner Angle of Repose 4+* K&ac (two of my all time favorites) See also: Recapitulation 4+* paper only All the Little Live Things 4* K&ac, The Big Rock Candy Mountain (Peguin Classics) 4+* K&ac, Spectator Bird 4* K&ac, Where the Bluebird Sings to the Lemonade Spring, 4+* non-fiction essays. paper only.
Out Stealing Horses 4* K&ac, by Per Petterson
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet 4* K&ac, by Jamie Ford
Home 4* K&ac, Gilead 4* K&ac (Pulitzer winner), & Housekeeping 4* K&ac 3 by Marilynne Robinson
Let the Great World Spin 4* K&ac (slow start; but excellent) by Colum McCann
The Master Butcher’s Singing Club 4* K&ac, The Painted Drum 4+* K&ac, & The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse 4+* K&ac, 3 by Louise Edrich
The Shadow of the Wind 4+* K&ac, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (world-wide best seller) One of my favorites.
Work Song 4* K&ac and The Whistling Season 4+* K&ac, 2 by Ivan Doig
Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand 4+* K&ac by Helen Simonson (Serious fiction in the end)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society 4+* K&ac, by Schaffer and Barrows
Sarah’s Key 4* K&ac by Tatiana de Rosnay
Elegance of the Hedgehog 3+* K&ac, by Muriel Barbery
The Housekeeper and the Professor 4+* K, by Yoko Ogawa
The Yellow House 4* K, by Particia Falvey
A Painted House 4* K&ac, by John Grisham (literary fiction, not mystery genre)
The Camel Bookmobile 4* K, by Masha Hamilton
Mr. Pip 4* K&ac, by Lloyd Jones
Glass Castle 4+* K&ac, & Half Broke Horses 4+* K& ac, 2 Non-fiction by Jeannette Walls
Rules for Old Men Waiting 4+* K&ac by Peter Pouncey
The Book Thief 4+* K&ac by Marcus Zusak (a big favorite. Good for children & adults)
Reading Lolita in Tehran 3+* K&ac, by Azar Nafisi
1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus 4+* K&ac (non-fiction) by Charles C. Mann (The Americas before 1491)
The Island at the Center of the World: The Epic Story of Dutch Manhattan and the Forgotten Colony That Shaped America 4+* K&ac, by Russell Shorto (non-fiction)
The Kite Runner 4+* K&ac by Khaled Hosseini
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress 4* ac by Dai Sijie (wonderful film version also)
Ireland: A Novel 4+* K&ac, by Frank Delaney (storyteller key character makes ac v)
The Namesake 4* K&ac & Interpreter of The Maladies (Pulitzer Prize) 4+* K&ac, 2 by Jhumpa Lahiri
Bee Season 3+* K&ac, by Myla Goldberg
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption 5* K&ac by Laura Hillenbrand
The Hangman's Daughter 4* K, by Pötzsch, Oliver, Chadeayne, Lee
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel 3+* K&ac (historic fiction)
Every Man Dies Alone 4+ K&ac, by Hans Fallada
The Good Earth 4+* K, by Pearl Buck (still fresh)
Red Hook Road 4* K&ac by Ayelet Waldman
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet 4* K&ac by Robert Harris
A Moveable Feast 4* K&ac, by Ernest Hemingway
The Lacuna 4* K&ac, & Poisonwood Bible 4* K&ac, 2 by Barbara Kingsolver
The Color of Lightning 4+* K&ac by Paulette Jiles
The Secret Scripture 4* K&ac by Sebastian Barry
East of the Mountains 3+* K, by David Guterson
The Potato Factory 5* ac, by Bryce Courtenay (historic fiction)
How the Irish Saved Civilization 3* K&ac, by Thomas Cahill (non-fiction)
Washington’s Crossing 5* K&ac, by David Hackett Fischer (non-fiction) reads like a novel. Excellent!
Wish You Well 4* K&ac, by David Baldacci (not his mystery genre)
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time 4* K&ac, by Mark Haddon
A Fine Balance 4+* ac, by Rohinton Mistry
Their Eyes Were Watching God 4* K&ac by Zora Neale Hurston (At the height of the Harlem Renaissance during the 1930s, the preeminent black woman writer.)
King Leopold's Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror, and Heroism in Colonial Africa 4+* K&ac, by Adam Hochschild (Non-fiction)
*Room: A Novel 4+* K&ac by Emma Donoghue
*The Tiger's Wife: A Novel 4* K&ac, by Téa Obreht
*The Heart is a Lonely Hunter 4* K&ac by Carson McCullers
*The Cider House Rules 4+* ac by John Irving.
*The Hours 4* K&ac, by Michael Cunningham
*Angela’s Ashes 4+* paper only, - Frank McCourt. Pulitzer Prize
*Pompeii: A Novel paper only, Robert Harris
*Wickett’s Remedy by Myla Goldberg
Water For Elephants, Sara Gruen
*Follow Your Heart, Susanna Tamaro
The Dew Breaker, Edwidge Danticat
I'm Not Scared by Niccolo Ammaniti

Loved non-fiction:
Brunelleschi's Dome & Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling by Ross King (non-fiction)
Alexander Hamilton UA Ron Chernow (non-fiction)
Founding Brothers, Joseph Ellis. (non-fiction)
The Killer Angels UA, Michael Shaara. Pulitzer Prize (1974) about the battle at Gettysburg.4+* non-fiction
Mountains Beyond Mountains. By Tracy Kidder non-fiction
Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded by Simon Winchester non-fiction
The Seashell on the Mountaintop UA 5:31 by Alan Cutler non-fiction
The Professor and the Madman. by Simon Winchester non-fiction
Rising Tide: The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 and How It Changed America by John M. Barry

List#from retired Emory prof. 14 books duplicated above not included
A Suitable Boy 4+* ac by Vikran Seth
The Surrendered 4* K&ac & A Gestured Life 3+, 2 by Chang rae-Lee
The Gravedigger’s Daughter 3+* K by Joyce Carol Oates
A Short History of a Prince 3+* K by Jane Hamilton
Saint Maybe 4+ K & Digging to America 3+ ac, 2 by Anne Tyler
A Lesson Before Dying 4* K& ac abridged, by Ernest Gaines
Mercy 4* K&ac, by Toni Morrison
Mudbound 4+* K&ac, by Hillary Jordan
Netherland 3+* K&ac, by Joseph O’Neill
One Day 4* K&ac by David Nicholls
Rich Boy 4+* K, by Sharon Pomerantz
Skippy Dies 4*K&ac by Paul Murray
The Hours 4* K&ac, by Michael Cunningham
Walks with Men 2* K&ac by Ann Beattle. 5 of 10 1* amazon customer reviews
The Known World by Edward P. Jones
Everyman 4* K&ac, by Phillip Roth
Disgrace 4* ac by J.M. Coetz
The God of Small Things 4* K by Arundhati Roy
The Master 4+ K&ac by Colm Toibin and
Annabel 4+ K by Kathleen Winter. will appeal to fans of Jeffrey Eugenides’ Middlesex
The Invisible Bridge 4+* K&ac by#Julie Orringer
Say Her Name: A Novel 4* K by Francisco Goldman
The Love of My Youth 3+* K&ac, & Final Payments 4+* K&ac by Mary Gordon. #I really, really liked it and would love to teach it #I had lovd Mary Gordon's s back in the 80's and did teach it.
Mysteries by Elizabeth George

Other additions:
Luka and the Fire of Life: A Novel 4* K&ac, by Salman Rushdie
India Calling: An Intimate Portrait of a Nation's Remaking 4+* K by Anand Giridharadas
The Difficulty of Being Good: On the Subtle Art of Dharma 4* K & India Unbound, 4* K 2 by Gurcharan Das
A House for Mr. Biswas 4+* K by V. S. Naipaul

*Recent additions to the list.

Closet readings (those of us admitting to reading light and fun, fantasy, mysteries and “Police Procedurals”)
The Man from Beijing by Henning Mankell
The Da Vinci Code 3+*K&ac, by Dan Brown
Lian Hearn, The Ortori Trilogy: Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, Book 1) 4+* K&ac, Grass for His Pillow (Tales of the Otori, Book 2) 4* K&ac, Brilliance of the Moon: Tales of the Otori, Book Three, Heaven's Net is Wide (Tales of the Otori) 5* K&ac, A prequel (when a trilogy comes to its natural conclusion? Write a prequel, of course.)
*Bel Canto UA Ann Patchett
*Don’t Let’s Go to the Dogs Tonight 4.5 by Alexandra Fuller
The Lobster Chronicles - Non-fiction. Linda Greenlaw
*The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
*No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith
*Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West & *Son of a Witch, 2 by Gregory Maguire
*Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
*State of Fear by Michael Crichton
*Master and Commander: Aubrey/Maturin Series, by Patrick OBrian
*Shadow Divers, by Robert Kurson
Others recommend:

Henning Mankell: The Man Who Smiled. #
Martin Beck books by Maj Stowall and her husband, Per Wahloo. #
crime fiction (Raymond Chandler,#Dashiell#Hammet, James Elroy) and have lately come across an Irish writer of crime fiction. #
Adrian McKinty "Dead Trilogy:" Dead I Well May Be, The Dead Yard and The Bloomsday Dead. #

If you click on "My Book Recommends" link in my signature below, it will take you to my blog which has this list with most of the titles linked to its amazon.com book page so you can easily get to a book summary/review and quickly link to audible.com for the books offered by them.

Cheers and Happy Reading.

Robert

Last edited:

talkingbooks

Audiobook: God's Outrageous Claims: Discover What They Mean for You

Hello all,

I can recommend you the book "God's Outrageous Claims: Discover What They Mean for You":
Shot description: Lee Strobel presents 13 phenomenal claims by God that can change the entire trajectory of your life and revolutionize your attitude, your character, and your relationships.

Best regards
S

sharpz

Models by Mark Manson
Rational male by rollo
The way of the superior man