Why won't my iPhone stay connected to wifi at my house, but our laptops etc do?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

deesandvees

My iPhone 4 will not stay connected to my house's wifi. And everytime I reconnect it I have to enter the wifi password. We have 3 laptops, 1 other iPhone 4, a Playstation 3, 2 iPhone 3G's, and 2 Blu-ray players (using Netflix) that all have no problems being connected to wifi, all never losing connection or requiring the password.
Why is my iPhone 4 giving me wifi problems? When I'm at work, it automatically connects to that wifi and stays connected.

deesandvees

I've been looking all over and still can't figure this out...even the similar questions on this forum's answers have not been helpful. Anybody had this problem and successfully solved it?

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Check your router's settings, if you're hiding your SSID (network name) then for some reason iOS devices seem to lose track of the network. If that's the issue, you can un-hide the SSID since that is such a pitiful measure of security anyway.

If that's not it, what form of security are you using on your home network? If you're using WEP, try changing to WPA2 since (a) it is far more secure than WEP, and (b) Apple product seem to play better with WPA2.

deesandvees

Check your router's settings, if you're hiding your SSID (network name) then for some reason iOS devices seem to lose track of the network. If that's the issue, you can un-hide the SSID since that is such a pitiful measure of security anyway.

If that's not it, what form of security are you using on your home network? If you're using WEP, try changing to WPA2 since (a) it is far more secure than WEP, and (b) Apple product seem to play better with WPA2.
Okay so I changed those settings, still no good. My phone will be sitting on my desk after I've selected the wifi and entered the password and I'll look over once in awhile and suddenly it's back on 3G. My roommates phone, also an iPhone 4 will always stay on the wifi when she's home. Same phones, same wifi signal, ??? Could it be a setting in the phone?

Website
www.ilounge.com
Is your iPhone jailbroken? Are you running the same version of iOS as your roommate? There aren't a lot of settings specific to Wi-Fi on an iPhone, so it's unlikely something you've specifically configured.

You can try using the "Reset Network Settings" option found under General, Reset in the Settings app. This might help to remove any cruft in your network settings that could be affecting this, such as other nearby Wi-Fi networks that the iPhone might be "preferring" (even if it can't actually connect to them). I've seen cases where connecting to public networks with names like "linksys" and "default" has caused problems with other networks of the same name, since the iPhone tries to seek those out if they have a stronger signal, but can't necessarily connect if they're protected.

deesandvees

Is your iPhone jailbroken? Are you running the same version of iOS as your roommate? There aren't a lot of settings specific to Wi-Fi on an iPhone, so it's unlikely something you've specifically configured.

You can try using the "Reset Network Settings" option found under General, Reset in the Settings app. This might help to remove any cruft in your network settings that could be affecting this, such as other nearby Wi-Fi networks that the iPhone might be "preferring" (even if it can't actually connect to them). I've seen cases where connecting to public networks with names like "linksys" and "default" has caused problems with other networks of the same name, since the iPhone tries to seek those out if they have a stronger signal, but can't necessarily connect if they're protected.
Not jailbroken and we're on the same iOS. My wifi's name is very unique so I know it wouldn't be confusing it with another signal. I'll try resetting network settings and report back, thanks.

deesandvees

Resetting the network settings did the job. So to any having this issue, try that, and then try the other recommendations above.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Just to be clear, when I was talking about common network names I was referring to the possibility of other networks in your neighbourhood that your device might be trying to connect to.

For example, from where I'm sitting I can find three different networks in range that all have the name "linksys" and two with the name "default" because the owners never bothered to changed their SSIDs when they setup their wireless routers. The iPhone doesn't actually list them all -- I have to resort to Wi-Fi monitoring tools to see the different networks, but you can imagine how complicated it would be to find the right one, and of course if your device was ever connected to another one of the same name somewhere else in the world, it would remember that connection and might be trying to lock onto that name again, even though it's a different network, instead of staying connected to yours.

eebean2

Website
www.apple.com
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Just to be clear, when I was talking about common network names I was referring to the possibility of other networks in your neighbourhood that your device might be trying to connect to.

For example, from where I'm sitting I can find three different networks in range that all have the name "linksys" and two with the name "default" because the owners never bothered to changed their SSIDs when they setup their wireless routers. The iPhone doesn't actually list them all -- I have to resort to Wi-Fi monitoring tools to see the different networks, but you can imagine how complicated it would be to find the right one, and of course if your device was ever connected to another one of the same name somewhere else in the world, it would remember that connection and might be trying to lock onto that name again, even though it's a different network, instead of staying connected to yours.
Alright, tried everything above, and being workin on apple for a good while i hate asking, but does anyone know where this error could be comming from? It drops, then picks up randomly, then drops when every I re enter the phone. It seams to be an overload in the network, but I cant control the network here, never had the proplem till i moved to hell... i mean to west virgina. Any suggestions?