iphone - unable to join network - Solved

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

surcal

Solved - Solved -Solved

I held my iphone touching the antenna of WIFI router, it connected to the router. I was able to use the internet in this position only. Moving away from router's antenna, internet does not works. At leaset now I can do some very urgent works on iphone without GPRS connection.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
I wouldn't call holding the iPhone to the router's antenna "solved", an inconvenient workaround maybe, but this is not a solution.

Aside from the usual recommendations of double-checking your router's settings, resetting your router, and restoring your iPhone, you may have to restore your iPhone without loading your last backup (i.e. restore as a new iPhone). The backup file could have a problem, so just doing a normal restore will perpetuate the problem.

But, 4.0 is available today so perhaps you'll have better wi-fi luck with the new iOS.

surcal

I am myself an expert on iphone. I have already done everything that was possible. I am calling it solved only because, I was afraid of future unlocks will not be possible without WIFI. Uptil 3.1.2 "iphone pcsuite" could be used to install ultrasn0w directly through PC. But from 3.1.3 iphone needs to install "AFC2ADD" through cydia, before it can be recognised as a jailbreaked iphone. Atleast WIFI working. This way I can update important cydia updates and apps without having to use GPRS.

surcal

Today I installed iOS 4.0 on iphone 3G. The wifi is only working the same way (By touching the antenna of my WIFI router). Atleast now I had guts to install new firmware and unlock the iphone through WIFI. In my case now, it's definately a hardware problem.

spicetrader

touching the antenna wont work for me

iLounger, I think Surcal's asking whether you agree that he's identified it as a hardware problem?

Touching the antenna will not work for me, and while I could wipe and restore my iphone, I have no desire to spend 2 or 3 hours or more of my life on that.

I find this happening on one of my home routers, and from time to time on other routers.

We had an electrical storm yesterday. An hour after the storm, I was curious about my WiFi connection for some reason I don't remember what. I checked it and saw it was connecting without trouble to the router that always gave off "Unable to join..." msg for the last 2 months (it worked fine before that). But this morning, I get the err msg again.

So, I would like a real cure, as I'm sure you would.

Teechur

Website
www.teechur.com
You know I recently restored my iPhone and it did not take "two to three hours of my life." I sat down, started the restore. Puttered around doing dishes, came back it asked me if I wanted to use the recent backup, I said yes, it did it's thing, and I did mine.

You don't have to babysit during a restore, and sometimes that's what fixes something, or tells you that it is a hardware issue, not a software issue. You can't consider a problem truly "troubleshot? shooted?" unless you isolate each component of the chain.

Could be a wifi problem is the iPhone hardware, or it could be your router, the router hardware, firmware, the IOS, corruption in the IOS, interference with another wireless network using the same channel, another source of interference, etc.

Go ahead, try a restore and see if it works. If you're concerned, forward your calls to another phone temporarily and do it late in the evening.

Theodorus1970

WIFI problems solved?

I was wondering whether you'd found out if it was indeed a hard ware problem. I have the EXACT same thing, perfect connection when physically toughing the router, terrible connection to offline when walking away from the source (2 meters). my 2 ipads, macbooks and other older iphone all connect flawlessly, so I reckon its a hardware thing??