FAKE Monster Beats Studio HD: Here is how to tell a real from a fake

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Status
Not open for further replies.

gongkia2000

Recently, I purchased a set of Monster Beats Studio HD from eBay, from a reputable seller with a good track record. It was my carelessness that led to this unfortunate purchase. Being enticed with a very much reduced price of SGD400, compared to its original retail price of SGD700, I made the purchase.

However, I found out that it was a fake after a while, and after reaching an amicable agreement with my seller, who I have given the benefit of the doubt and believe that he was not aware that his supplier had been supplying him with imitation goods. (Possibly gullible on my part, but this is besides the point since I have received my full refund and I do not wish to pursue the matter).

I then went on to purchase a set from HMV. With both the real and fake Monster Beats Studio HD, I decided to do some side by side comparisons.

The product on the left is always the ORIGINAL, while the product on the right is always the IMITATION.

Starting with the front cover, it is clear that the imitation good does not bear the "tm" (trademark) sign beneath the word "studio" on the bottom left hand corner of the box (may be a little small, but you can see that a little dot of text is missing from the picture on the right).

At the back of the box, you can see that the pictures of the headphones are slightly different. They are positioned slightly differently. Then there's also the lack of the "tm" sign beneath the "studio" word at the bottom left corner. "tm" is also missing on the vertical text on the left of the box beneath the word "dre", and is also missing from the last line of the last paragraph of text.

On the side of the box, it is obvious that the picture on the original is smaller than that of the imitation product. The original also mentions that batteries and the airline adapter are included, while the imitation doesn't mention that at all.

Dr Dre's headshot. Very clearly different. The printing on the fake is generally much darker, and you can't see his neck area very well. His neck is clearer on the original. Also do note the use of a " | " instead of a " / " between "beatsbydre.com" and "monstercable.com" on the original and imitation respectively. Also, there's a whacked up model number on the bottom right hand corner of the fake one, and there isn't any on the real one.

Removing the jacket to reveal the red box, we can see that the black pull-out tab on the real deal is longer than that of the imitation.

Clear differences here. A blind man could tell the difference.

On the back of the quick-start guide, there are subtle differences in font size and the usage of " | " and " / " again. Once again, real deal on left, imitation on right.

Super big difference between the provided cleaning cloths. Original cloth is huge. Fake one is tiny.

These 2 documents are provided with the real deal and not with the imitation.

The battery cover of the real deal, of course, has the serial number and Dr Dre's signature. The fake doesn't have any (Picture of fake battery cover not included, just imagine an empty space where the signature and serial should be).

COMPARISONS OF THE HEADPHONES TO BE ADDED SOON.

To be honest, the headphones are almost identical. The differences lie in the material of the ear cup and the aforementioned battery covers. The battery indicator light on the real deal also seems to be a tad brighter. To be extremely honest, even the sound quality is quite close. No kidding. The quality of the imitation good is actually, though I hate to mention this, very good. However, the cables do tend to give way quickly and the threading around the carabina of the hard case gives way easily.

The point of this posting is to simply create awareness on how excellent fake goods have grown to become. Please be astute when making purchases. When a deal is too good to be true, it usually is.

Davo-CC

Saw these on a rather large sale site - the price is odd (not as cheap as usual fakes), are they likely to be fake as the posters say?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.36384 for tubines
and
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.36385 for Dr Dre's

This is a pretty big and well known site (though there are a heap of others that do this) – the Monster branding is pretty obvious but the site itself doesn’t use the word “Monster”.

Some posters are asking on the site whether they could be "after-hours runs" where the production manufacturer makes extra units (unauthorised) and flogs them in China... I’d tend to think they’re fakes only (rather than unauthorised runs) though.

ThisisCraigP

down for whatever
That's pretty interesting. I'm surprised Monster doesn't know about it. Or if they do, why they don't do something about it.

ronbkng

Hey gongkia2000, can you share with me the name of the ebay seller whom you bought the headphones cause i just ordered one!! Don't wish to get into the same situation as you.

Thanks!

DaYop

this is a new and old revision of the packaging

These two package are legit, the left one is the new revision, the right one is the first revision, lot of users on the forum can confirm this by looking at the old packaging which contain the darker picture of Dr.dre as well as the bigger exploded view of the driver assembly, no TM on side of Studio word, "/" in place of vertical line.
White one only have the new packaging revision, so should not have any of these differences.
I work for these guys, so i know what i'm talking about. :)

anarchitect10

I purchased mine off ebay for 250 bucks. I was a little freaked out by the amount of threads going around about how to differentiate between fake and real beats. After stumbling upon this page, I panicked even more when I saw the fake box. It is exactly like the ones I bought, however I took my investigation a little further. Visited bestbuy.com, monster's own website, and even beatsbydre.com.

The box on the right (labeled fake here) are exactly like the ones on the aforementioned websites. No 'tm' at the back of the box by dr. dre or studio. The image of the driver are large on the websites compared to these 'fake' ones. The use of / instead of |. As for the typo and serial number I won't know until I get them, but I'd have to agree with the post above. I highly doubt monster, bestbuy, or beatsbydre.com would post images of a fake packaging. But I will only know if the ones I purchased are fake when I open the box.

brewc

Ok well I bought a pair off ebay is there a definitive way to tell real from fake? Also what should the module for the isonitalk cble look like? I don't see an opening for the mic.

Zakattack423

I have been researching this a lot, and I tried my best to avoid fakes but I can't help but feel like I bought some...the guy seemed trustworthy from who I bought them from used, he said they were authentic and the headphones themselves seem authentic- but the box makes me think otherwise. It's the dark face Dre(although it sounds like it is possible for that to be the case for real ones),

On the other hand, there is a serial number(although the sticker is not perfectly placed in the middle of the inclined dot), there is a monster/studio decal on the metal pieces on each side, the font is dark red and such.

But to add to the box/documentation problems, on the Monster booklet I got(Listing all the other monster stuff, it has an error, on the back in the fine print it says "Monwter Central for Better Picture and Sound". Also, the quick start guide and warranty looks perfect but on page 4 on the 2nd paragraph it starts off a bit weird- "It `s"...so donno what that is all about...it is also C2010...

If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it...and I could post pictures if needed...

drdreripmeoff?

Ok well I bought a pair off ebay is there a definitive way to tell real from fake? Also what should the module for the isonitalk cble look like? I don't see an opening for the mic.
hey mate im ####ting myself about the ones i got just contact monster

drdreripmeoff?

oh dear

i bought from a blacklisted by monster website for only a bit cheaper i didnt come with batteris for one but thts because chinese dont allow foreign shipping policies the box has got the "tm" and the pic looks real but dres face is dark but apparently thts just revised packagiingit has a serial number and monster confirmed the registration but i need to be sure

kornchild2002

Bull####, the Chinese government allows for the exporting of batteries just fine whether it is through industry or not. Otherwise notebooks, netbooks, cellphones, portable gaming consoles, and TVs would never leave the country (remember that most of the electronics are manufactured and assembled in China). TVs come with remotes that have AA and AAA batteries all the time (and many are funky batteries that can't be purchased in the U.S.), notebooks have pretty powerful batteries, smartphones, etc. all have batteries and they are exported out of China into many other countries. I wouldn't be surprised if most consumer level AA and AAA batteries (along with the other types) are manufactured in China.

You also picked up headphones from a website that Monster themselves listed for "only a bit cheaper"? Why not just purchase them from a reputable store to begin with and save the hassle? Saving $20 (or even $50) isn't worth it if you are buying from a site known to have sold fake crappy headphones.

jamonet

I need your help please

Hi friends, I need your help with one headphone monster.
If I trust in your tutorial, this should be true, because they have the "t" next "studio" and "dre", but they make me suspicious. What do you think?
Thank you very much!

jamesleadbitter

Im worried that my HD solos are fake

i just ordered some HD solos from www . uspopheadphones . com for £96 but i cant tell if the site is legitimate and now im worried that when i get them they will be fake.

lorentis

These two package are legit, the left one is the new revision, the right one is the first revision, lot of users on the forum can confirm this by looking at the old packaging which contain the darker picture of Dr.dre as well as the bigger exploded view of the driver assembly, no TM on side of Studio word, "/" in place of vertical line.
White one only have the new packaging revision, so should not have any of these differences.
I work for these guys, so i know what i'm talking about. :)
I have read many reviews, and watched many people try to differentiate between real and fake Beats Studios on Youtube. Many suggestions made by these reviewers contradict each other, so I went out to find a reputable electronics store to find out for myself (Broadway in Hong Kong, kind of similar to Walmart except they only sell electronics). On display I saw BOTH box types for Beats Studio (dark and light Dr Dre's face), and one had "TM" and the other did not.

On another forum, someone posted saying there are 2 print runs of the box, both being genuine runs. (That is, another post in addition to the one I quoted here) I think the distribution of both print runs are limited geographically, and HK being a major retail and business hub has both versions.

Having said that, it does not rule out that the tell tale signs of the fakes are not true. Simply put they are mere suggestions that the item may not be genuine. The most effective way to tell if it is genuine should be the presence of the serial number inside the battery cover -unfortunately this means you have to purchase it first in order to find out.

lilvietz93

Dr Dre Studios real/fake?

Hey everyone, i found these dr dre studios. pretty cheap. but unsure if they're real or fake. so, what do you guys think? - thanks

cheapbeatsstudioheadphones.c o m/Cheap-4-Monster-Beats-By-Dr-Dre-studio-Headphones-High-Performance-Professional-black.html

jimminizer

yes i have the same problem recently!!!!I hate them!!they are liar!!!why they can survive!!they should be banned!!!They should not be allowed to stay here!!!! I spent almost the same amount to buy this stuff and they sold me a fake headphone!!So unethical!!!Now I just hope i can claim it back!!

jayfaz

can anyone help me by identifying is uspopheadphones is a legit site? the price seems almost too good to be true but still want to know...
:confused:

alternapop

do yourself a favor and just don't by any Beats model. they are overpriced and over marketed at best. you can get better headphones for half the price. visit a couple audiophile forums and talk with people who know audio.

visit head-fi or audioholics online

nimrod_panic

Real or Fake?

With respect, nobody here has actually pointed out that if you can't tell the difference, then so what?

Are you guys buying a product or an image?

Real or fake? Lets think about this for a second - the only way to differentiate these at the moment is from the packaging - so surely the important questions are :-

Is the manufacture of the product the same?

Have they been assembled with the same components or at the same factory even?

I don't care if dr dre has received his commission or not. I want to know if these half original priced headphones are worth the money and if they are expected to last.

Can you do a sound test comparison and perhaps show us the actual headphones? Also if you contact Monster to verify that the second pair are not official we can have a true understanding of whether the manufacture process is the same, to make the investment worth it.

Of course if you buy an unofficial product you will have no come-back after 28 days in the event of a fault. Though I have a cheap crappy set of steepletone headphones which have been battered about and still work after 7 years, so I would expect these to last the same.

So are they worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.