Best way to get a PDF onto iPad?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

kornchild2002

E-mail them to yourself or use a file server such as Google. You can even upload them to Google Docs and view the PDF files as standard web pages.

Mediahound

Website
tristantom.com
E-mail them to yourself or use a file server such as Google. You can even upload them to Google Docs and view the PDF files as standard web pages.
Thanks, that works nut requires I have net access. Ideally, I'd like it to be stored on the iPad and have it also remember the page I was on since it is a book.

(writing this on the iPad and loving it)

sracer

Thanks, that works nut requires I have net access. Ideally, I'd like it to be stored on the iPad and have it also remember the page I was on since it is a book.

(writing this on the iPad and loving it)
You might try converting the pdf to epub and using iTunes to sync it. Then use the iPad's bookreader app. That book will appear on the bookshelf like the books downloaded from the iBookstore.

Mediahound

Website
tristantom.com
You might try converting the pdf to epub and using iTunes to sync it. Then use the iPad's bookreader app. That book will appear on the bookshelf like the books downloaded from the iBookstore.
That's a good idea. I did that using an app called Calibre and then dragged the epub files into iTunes in the Book section and it worked!

The cool thing about Calibre is I can download magazines for free and then save them as epug and then put them into my iPad. I have Wired, The New Yorker, Esquire, Time etc.

Rocks!

Last edited:

tonton

That's a good idea. I did that using an app called Calibre and then dragged the epub files into iTunes in the Book section and it worked!

The cool thing about Calibre is I can download magazines for free and then save them as epug and then put them into my iPad. I have Wired, The New Yorker, Esquire, Time etc.

Rocks!
Where do you get those magazines in PDF format for free?

0002s

Stanza is free and will convert text from PDF into ePub format (as well as many others) Then drop into iTunes and add to your book shelf.

If you're trying to convert graphic based PDF (comic book lets say) into a form to get into the iPad, convert them to jpegs and group them in a photo album in iPhoto. The run photos on the iPad and you can read them in page mode like a book.

Mr. E.

Barca Lounger
Does the iPad not read pdfs natively as the iPod Touch does? Some pdfs convert gracefully into epub files, but some do not. If they don't, I'd look into a program like Drop Box or Drop Case to get the pdfs from your computer into your iPad. Assuming that the iPad can read pdfs.

0002s

Does the iPad not read pdfs natively as the iPod Touch does? Some pdfs convert gracefully into epub files, but some do not. If they don't, I'd look into a program like Drop Box or Drop Case to get the pdfs from your computer into your iPad. Assuming that the iPad can read pdfs.
The Ipad reads PDFs fine. Getting them into the iPad/pod/touch requires having them stored on line (Evernote/Mobile Me), in an ebook format, as a jpeg in iPhoto, in an email stored (gmail)

ihmo...

Work related single views are east to view/store in email

Work related multi view are easier to store in Evernote

text based ebook PDFs are easier to convert in Stanza to .epub and store in iTunes as iBook

Comic books are easier to get/convert to jpeg and store in iPhoto as album. Then sycn via iTunes for reading (or purchase with and app like Marvel)

Converting to PDFs can be done with many apps.

There is no one perfect solution to PDF storeage/viewing. It all depends on the type of PDF and how many times you need acess to it.

JM2C
Note: all programs listed are personal favs, although there are many that will accomplish the same thing.

fishfuzz

GoodReader $.99 and you can grab files from URLS, DropBox, Box.net, and even upload via WiFi from your PC/MAC.

I tried the Calibre-ePub route, but often times, the text/images would be misplaced.

4phun

GoodReader $.99 and you can grab files from URLS, DropBox, Box.net, and even upload via WiFi from your PC/MAC.
/QUOTE]

GoodReader is a fantastic app for the iPhone too. Using iPhone Explorer on your Mac or Windows PC you can even drag and drop files into GoodReader across USB. GoodReader also allows you do download files from virtually any normal web site directly into your iPhone. If you see a PDF online you can grab it with GoodReader.

deadmanh

goodreader user here... it also saves the last page you used. I hoped there might even be a better way , but so far im happy with good reader

jmuhobo

I agree with everyone else. Goodreader is a great app that lets you save ur pdf files. You can also add pdf files through ITunes with this app.

it's only a dollar, so great value in my view.

OmSweetOm

Simple - send PDFs to your Gmail account

what:
i found a simple way to get a pdf to my ipad ibook shelf is via my gmail account - works from anywhere i can email a pdf to my gmail account from - does not require installation of anything - can be done from work equipment, provided you can send to external email accounts

how:
email a pdf attachment to your gmail account, open the email on your ipad, click on the pdf attachment, click on open in upper right hand corner (after the pdf opens), select ibooks (or any other app listed that is capable of handling pdfs) and it's on the ibook book shelf for use with or without a signal

hope this saves you time. if so, consider using it being of service to others

sort_shots

Goodreader is an app developed to view the pdf files on ipad . It also supports textfiles, audio , video , office , iwork files.