Transfer music from iPod to iPad

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MichaelSB

I'm a newbie here and my wife has ordered me an ipad with 3g as an anniversay gift. I presently have an ipod LOADED with songs from my own collection, does anyone know if there will be a way to transfer songs from an ipod to an ipad?? Thanks, and apologies if this has been asked before, i perused some of the posts and didn't see anything.

anypats

Probably not. You will need to transfer the songs from the iPod to iTunes and then sync them over to the iPad. There may be ways to do this in the future but knowing Apple it will never be a feature that they approve of. Who knows how easy it may become to jailbreak the iPad and then it could happen.

kornchild2002

FYI - this is a feature users have been asking for ever since the first generation iPod back in 2001. People have wanted to be able to directly transfer content from iPod to iPod for 9 years now and Apple hasn't given it to the consumers. Why? That is a good way for music piracy to increase. Someone can take their iPod to their high school, hook it up to another one, and copy music files to and from one another without paying. Microsoft introduced a sharing feature with the Zune but you essentially have the file for 5 days. After that, you actually have to buy the song.

Sure, there are some people who would honestly use the feature but they pale in comparison to the amount of people that would use it to pirate music. Lastly, you should have your music stored on your computer as well as your iPod. There is absolutely no excuse these days to have your music just on your iPod. It may sound harsh but I come across at least one person a week who had their music stored solely on their iPod, ran into an issue, needed to restore their iPod, and could not copy the music off of it. So they ended up losing everything. It has been a lesson learned by many. Go buy an external hard drive to store your media on if your computer is running low on space. Either way, you shouldn't rely on your iPod as a permanent means of storing your media (they aren't designed for that).

rcarlberg

Good points Kornchild.

What I'm wondering is this, iTunes uses cover scans of music you buy but the icon-sized covers don't look like they'd blow up to the full screen 5"x5" (i.e. full size for a CD) as shown on the iPad "playing music" video. Are they gonna rescan all the albums? Or is the resolution actually better than it seems?

kornchild2002

I am not sure what you are talking about. The album art can be displayed at full size on the iPad. In fact, viewing a 500X500 album art image (which is what iTunes purchases use) on the iPad will make it the actual size of album art that is included with CDs.

rcarlberg

Yeah that's what I meant i just wasn't expressing myself very well. So the original scans are 500x500? Didn't know that.

kornchild2002

Around 500X500, there are some a little higher and some a little lower. Either way, due to the iPad's resolution and screen size, they will show up as being the same size as physical album art. Now, all Apple needs is for the iPad to support iTunes Extras and you can get the full experience.

Dyvim

Geek
Most iTunes artwork I've come across is actually 600 x 600. There is some 300x300 artwork still lingering around (some for titles that would seem popular enough to merit higher resolution cover art). Last time I checked Amazon mp3's were using 500 x 500. Either way they should look pretty good scaled up to 768 x 768 max (do they take up the whole width of the screen?).

Mr. E.

Barca Lounger
... Either way they should look pretty good scaled up to 768 x 768 max (do they take up the whole width of the screen?).
If memory serves, the iTunes display has a lot going on it, and the Album art is just part of it, so it will not be full screen size, but just one corner of the display. You'll probably get the largest image in Coverflow view, but even that will be scaled down because a good amount of the screen space will be given over to adjacent album covers.

MichaelSB

FYI - this is a feature users have been asking for ever since the first generation iPod back in 2001. People have wanted to be able to directly transfer content from iPod to iPod for 9 years now and Apple hasn't given it to the consumers. Why? That is a good way for music piracy to increase. Someone can take their iPod to their high school, hook it up to another one, and copy music files to and from one another without paying. Microsoft introduced a sharing feature with the Zune but you essentially have the file for 5 days. After that, you actually have to buy the song.

Sure, there are some people who would honestly use the feature but they pale in comparison to the amount of people that would use it to pirate music. Lastly, you should have your music stored on your computer as well as your iPod. There is absolutely no excuse these days to have your music just on your iPod. It may sound harsh but I come across at least one person a week who had their music stored solely on their iPod, ran into an issue, needed to restore their iPod, and could not copy the music off of it. So they ended up losing everything. It has been a lesson learned by many. Go buy an external hard drive to store your media on if your computer is running low on space. Either way, you shouldn't rely on your iPod as a permanent means of storing your media (they aren't designed for that).
All of my music is on iether an external hard drive or in my extensive CD collection, to store CD's on my laptop seemed redundant and a waste of space. I see your point on piracy but an ipod is just another external hard drive that happens to play music. I would think as tight as Apple is with their software there would be a way to register the ipod/pad and only allow transfer of same owner material. Anyway thanks for the input, guess i'll crack open a few beers and start reloading in preparation for my delivery!!

kornchild2002

If memory serves, the iTunes display has a lot going on it, and the Album art is just part of it, so it will not be full screen size, but just one corner of the display. You'll probably get the largest image in Coverflow view, but even that will be scaled down because a good amount of the screen space will be given over to adjacent album covers.
The iPad does not have Coverflow. I don't know why Apple left it out but they did. You can view album art at the full resolution it is compressed at. The view can be made to look like iTunes in that the album art is displayed in the lower left corner but you can also click on an album and it will bring up a 100% view of the album art and a list of the songs from said album (just like the iTunes Store preview panel that now pops up).

Mr. E.

Barca Lounger
The iPad does not have Coverflow. I don't know why Apple left it out but they did. You can view album art at the full resolution it is compressed at. The view can be made to look like iTunes in that the album art is displayed in the lower left corner but you can also click on an album and it will bring up a 100% view of the album art and a list of the songs from said album (just like the iTunes Store preview panel that now pops up).
That's too bad about CoverFlow. Most times I have no use for it, but the iPad seems like it would be the device where you'd actually enjoy it. For my 1st Gen iPod Touch, it taxes the processor too much and makes the music stutter, but iPad should be able to handle it gracefully.

rcarlberg

The iPad does not have Coverflow. I don't know why Apple left it out but they did.
Didn't the preview at MacWorld show the iPad having Coverflow... or is my memory playing tricks again?

I noticed it isn't featured in the new instructional videos and thought it odd that it was dropped.

Must be because it causes the m-m-music to st-st-stutter (which it DOESN'T on my iPhone, but whatever).

kornchild2002

The Apple event didn't show off coverflow but it might have been on a website in video form. The iPads shown off at the event weren't representative of the final product. So coverflow in one of those devices might not make it to the final design.

The iPad is more than powerful enough to handle coverflow while not causing stuttering issues. My 1.5GHz Pentium M table with 1.5GB of RAM can work with coverlow while playing songs. It might be a little slow but it still does the task. The 1GHz chip in the iPad, though it clocks in at a slower speed than the 1.5GHz Pentium M in my tablet, is actually more powerful. I can't directly compare to the A4 but I can compare it to a 1GHz chip (of similar/same architecture) in an Android device.

The early reviews are saying that coverflow is absent as well. Maybe it is something that Apple is going to add in down the line.

dk462

The Apple event didn't show off coverflow but it might have been on a website in video form. The iPads shown off at the event weren't representative of the final product. So coverflow in one of those devices might not make it to the final design.

The iPad is more than powerful enough to handle coverflow while not causing stuttering issues. My 1.5GHz Pentium M table with 1.5GB of RAM can work with coverlow while playing songs. It might be a little slow but it still does the task. The 1GHz chip in the iPad, though it clocks in at a slower speed than the 1.5GHz Pentium M in my tablet, is actually more powerful. I can't directly compare to the A4 but I can compare it to a 1GHz chip (of similar/same architecture) in an Android device.

The early reviews are saying that coverflow is absent as well. Maybe it is something that Apple is going to add in down the line.
apologies if this is stupid question - but will i be able to access all the music and videos i've already downloaded on the itunes store onto my computer? or do i have to re-download and re-pay for everything on my ipad?

kornchild2002

You have to re-pay to download them again, better start saving up.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. EVERYTHING that an iPod is compatible with will work on an iPad. This means that your previous iTunes Store purchases, songs already in your library, videos, etc. They will all work with the iPad.

wooshring

Didn't the preview at MacWorld show the iPad having Coverflow... or is my memory playing tricks again?

They DID show Coverflow at the iPad Launch, but it was for the new iPad App Store, NOT album art. ie: the APPS were in Coverflow.

Can't figure out why they'd leave out Album Coverflow either.

Also, does anyone know if Apple's Remote app works on the iPad?

kornchild2002

Their remote app for iTunes? Yeah, it works. I hope that Apple will come out with an iPad specific remote app using the higher resolution screen as the iPod touch/iPhone remote app looks like crap on the iPad's screen. It works for now. I want a remote app that looks like the iPod app except displaying the content on a PC's iTunes library.

niceemily1

I'm a newbie here and my wife has ordered me an ipad with 3g as an anniversay gift. I presently have an ipod LOADED with songs from my own collection, does anyone know if there will be a way to transfer songs from an ipod to an ipad?? Thanks, and apologies if this has been asked before, i perused some of the posts and didn't see anything.
Bigasoft iPod Transfer can easily transfer music/video between iPad/iPad 2/iPhone/iPod/Mac/PC

just google search " Easily Transfer Music/Video from iPod/iPad /iPhone to iPad 2 or from iPad 2 to Mac/ PC/ iPhone/iPod/iPad. "

you will find how to use it.

and it is really an all-in-one tool

Anne003

Music to iPad

Once you connect iPad to PC or other Apple devices, it will automatically detect and scan the devices. let's learn how to transfer iPad movies to PC. Music to iPad is really your best choice.:p:D:cool::cool:;)