Why does iTunes change the track order when I burn a CD?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

alangayle0

Hello I'm new here so apologies if this has already been asked/answered. I checked the FAQs but didn't see anything.

I've been using my iPod & iTunes for 4 years and I've never had any trouble burning CDs with the tracks in the order I want them in. But recently iTunes changes the order of the tracks when I'm burning a disc.

I put the tracks I'm burning in a new playlist, then arrange them into the order I want, then click the 'burn' button. The tracks in the playlist stay in the right order but the order on the CD is completely different, and totally random (not by artist, genre, album or alphabetical etc.) Shuffle is turned off.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or if something has changed with the software?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've wasted 6 blank CDs today trying to burn one CD!!

psyskiesman

Hi All, Happy New Year. I'm having a similar problem. I've added three new CD's today and everything shows in the iTunes library correctly, but on the iPod the tracks are in the wrong order and with incorrect track numbers. What have I done wrong? Never had this problem before but recently tried to transfer library to new laptop.

Last edited:

cjmnews

Staff member
Audio CDs will be burned in the order of the playlist.

MP3 and Data CDs will not. They get ordered as described in the first post.

As for the second, unrelated post, you should try removing the songs from the iPod and put them back on to see if the data from iTunes is reset on the iPod to match what iTunes says.

psyskiesman

Hi CJMNEWS, thanks for the reply. I had already tried that but still the same. Checking the album contents on the iPod, the tracks are showing in the correct order, but playing in incorrect order. Suddenly got me thinking, and I've found the answer;...............the iPod was set on shuffle! Please make allowances for my age.........probably too old to be playing with modern technology like this!

truman 2011

Audio CDs will be burned in the order of the playlist.

MP3 and Data CDs will not. They get ordered as described in the first post.
Not correct. According to Apple's website, MP3 CDs can be burned in order of playlist and other orders.

I have burned CDs in order of playlist for months but after installing 10.1.1, the CD was in order of artist. My third try today is now correct but I'm not really sure why - perhaps I did something incorrect with the first two. In any case, yes, you should be able to burn MP3 CDs in order of playlist, just like audio CDs. If you think I'm wrong, search Apple's website for "iTunes: How to set the play order of songs on an MP3 CD".