Copying playlist from iPod to iTunes (but ONLY the list, not the actual songs)?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

boofie75

This might be the dumbest question ever, but I'm not familiar with the intricacies of iTunes...

Ok...I have about 20 gig worth of music in iTunes. I only want about 1/4 of those songs on my Touch. So I go through my library, through each album and song and add the songs I want to the Touch, voila. Done.

A couple months later, something happens, my iPod gets wiped out after a sync, although it still says I have 7-8 gig filled on my Touch. No idea why that happened, so I restore. I've had this happen to me twice in the last few months, btw, but that's not what this question is for.

Both times I've had to restore, then go through all the songs in iTunes that I DID want and put them on the Touch all over again. It's a pain in the butt.

So is there any way that after I finish putting all the songs on my touch, I can say "Save this LIST of songs, not the songs themselves", so that if it ever gets wiped out again, it will just say to iTunes "You had all of these songs on there before, I'm going to go by this list and grab the songs off your computer FOR you"?

S2_Mac

P'bly wouldn't hurt if you'd make a playlist for the Touch -- load the playlist up with Touch-worthy tracks (instead of the Touch itself), and then after Restores just refill the Touch with the playlist (either manually dragging tracks to the Touch, or setting the Touch to sync only the one playlist).

Or if you're on a Mac I could give you a script that produces text or HTML listings of the Touch's content.

Or you could just display the Touch's Music library in iTunes and then either:
1) iTunes File menu -> Print, and click the "Song listing" radio button with the "Songs" theme, or
2) Remove unneeded info columns from the display, then Edit menu -> Select All (or Ctrl-A, Cmd-A), then Edit menu -> Copy, and paste into a text document or Excel/Numbers spreadsheet.

boofie75

P'bly wouldn't hurt if you'd make a playlist for the Touch -- load the playlist up with Touch-worthy tracks (instead of the Touch itself), and then after Restores just refill the Touch with the playlist (either manually dragging tracks to the Touch, or setting the Touch to sync only the one playlist).
So basically what you're saying is make a Touch playlist in iTunes first, then if I get wiped out again I can just copy the playlist to the touch. I had thought of that...AFTER I moved everything over manually already. But that's the best idea I could think of. Well, now I know for next time. Thanks!