Apple Deleting Massive Posts on 3.0 WiFi Issues

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Hello,
In another discussion, the question came up whether or not Apple deletes posts from their forum that criticize the company's handling of the WiFi Issue.

Well, rather than just state my opinion, I decided to calculate the deletion rate mathematically. My results show that Apple is deleting critical posts from their forum at a massive rate.

Here's what i did: I subscribed to four threads that have material criticizing Apple's handling of the WiFi issue. I monitored how many e-mail notices I received for new posts in these discussions, then went to the discussions to see how many posts remained. Since post notices are sent to you immediately, you get to see what people posted before Apple deletes it.

Here's what I found: just over the past four days, I have received notice for 146 new postings. But when I last checked the threads, only 43 of the postings were present in the discussions. The rest were -- obviously -- deleted by Apple.

In addition, the deletion rate has accelerated in the past day or so as news about the bugs in 3.0 has become more fierce.

That results in a 71% deletion rate. In other words, Apple is deleting 71% of the posts that appear in these discussions.

Keep in mind, that's just for four sample discussions. Of course, the numbers are even higher if we just count critical posts.

If someone wishes to challenge my math, go right ahead. Better yet, go and do your own calculations and see what you get.

What does this flurry of deletions mean?

S2_Mac

What does this flurry of deletions mean?

It means what it's always meant -- Apple deletes posts that violate its TOS for the Discussions boards*. This is nothing new, and hardly a surprise (you must not have been around the boards for the 2.0 launch ;-)

Rag about Adobe products on their boards and see how long your post survives; rant on the Quark boards and watch your posts vaporize. Mention you're gay in your XBox Live profile and get banned. Or hang around iLounge at about 11a.m. GMT to read the astroturfing posts for iPod recovery tools and miracle taggers that sprout like mushrooms during the American night...by 3p.m. GMT they'll all be deleted.

(LOL! For all I know, I might have violated the iLounge TOS by tricking the automated censor into passing the word g-a-y in the link above ;-)

No need to reach for the tin-foil hat; they're Apple's boards and Apple's roolz, and this wave of complaining/whining/ranting-->deleting accompanies every launch for every product.

* 1. General
1. As long as you comply with the Agreement, Apple grants you a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited privilege to enter and use the Site.
. . .
2. Submissions
1. Stay on topic. Apple Discussions is here to help people use Apple products and technologies more effectively. Unless otherwise noted, do not add Submissions about nontechnical topics, including:
1. Speculations or rumors about unannounced products.
2. Discussions of Apple policies or procedures or speculation on Apple decisions.
. . .
3. Post constructive comments and questions. Unless otherwise noted, your Submission should either be a technical support question or a technical support answer. Constructive feedback about product features is welcome as well. If your Submission contains the phrase “I’m sorry for the rant, but…” you are likely in violation of this policy.

S2_Mac,
I have a different view.

Most of the deletions are clearly not in violation of any of Apple's policies. Often, it is people writing with a problem they are actually experiencing. I know, because I am one of them.

Apple seems to delete any posts where you make strong statements about a real experience with their products. They also delete posts where you ask questions about how to solve serious issues and express any frustration with Apple.

Of course, it's Apple's forum and they can do whatever they want. I know that. But these massive deletions of posts about problems with Apple products reveal a company trying to do as much damage control as possible.

dualsub2006

Matthew, you can think what you want but I like the fact that Apple zaps posts like yours. On your issue (and I am sorry that you are having this issue by the way) you came here and started 5 threads about it. In doing so you you used words and quotation marks that made many of your statements very negative, and in one case (millions of affected users) flat out wrong. I would prefer to see those kinds of posts deleted. It is a user to user forum, not a company complaint department.

You say that you aren't ranting, but IMHO you are. That's all that matters to me. You are having an issue that I am not. I have been very fortunate over the years to miss out on most of the issues that have affected others. Your reaction to that issue has been inflammatory, excessive and downright evasive given your total failure to answer direct questions with direct answers.

I understand the iLounge policy about not deleting posts. Sometimes I wish that they would.

Your reaction to that issue has been inflammatory, excessive and downright evasive given your total failure to answer direct questions with direct answers.
I have answered several direct questions, and I have clearly listed all the steps I took to solve the 3.0 problems. And I've done so a few times. So it's not a "failure" on my part.

For some reason, some people want to keep saying that I'm not answering questions or providing information about what I did to solve my problem. But that's just not the case.

Flyboybob

After reading this post I checked my question on Apple's forum asking for help with a WiFi issue. It's still there. I asked if anyone had a solution to my WiFi issue, and someone replied with an answer that didn't work. I then replied that it didn't work.

If you rant, rave and make yourself look like a jerk on their forum they will and should remove your post. Apple's forum, like this one, is designed for the community to help each other and it is not a platform to bash Apple or it's products. I am sure that Apple is well aware of the issue and is probably trying to find a solution. No one is smart enough or has enough time to test every possible combination of things that will affect a computer's operation when introducing a new software update. The iPod Touch is a small computer.

Apple has a long track record of providing excellent customer service. In the past they have replaced my hardware that was long out of warrantee when they realize they have a defective product. They always offer free updates to their software to correct problems that arise after a new release.

They produce some very amazing software, like iTunes, for both the Macintosh and Windows platforms. If you are using a PC, then try Safari 4.0, it's an incredibly fast, feature packed and free browser.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
MatthewShenker said:
I have answered several direct questions, and I have clearly listed all the steps I took to solve the 3.0 problems. And I've done so a few times. So it's not a "failure" on my part.
No Matt, you haven't. We can see all of your posts, and none of them clearly describe what you've tried. All of your responses are either incomplete, ambiguous, evasive, or just plain ranting. If you're exhibiting "troll-like tendencies", it's no wonder you've had posts deleted.

rockmyplimsoul,
I've described what I did in several posts, and I have been pretty specific.

Here's one post where I put it all together in a list for you:
http://forums.ilounge.com/showpost.php?p=1335882&postcount=15

I've spent hours trying to fix this problem. It's a little frustrating to hear from other customers and from Apple that somehow what happened is my responsibility for not trying to fix it.

Bottom line: I've done a lot to fix this. Apple released terrible software.

The reason I bought Apple products is because they are supposed to be more reliable. We pay more for that reliability, so we should be able to expect more.

cloverridge

How did the trip to the Apple Store go? Did your Touch work with their WiFi setup? Has it been resolved and if so how?