Can iphone be used without phone service?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

queenmarylady

Okay again my appologies if I missed this post, I'm trying to make a decision today on whether to get an iphone or ipod touch. I already have the touch, and LOVE it, but have always wanted the camera and mic that the phone offers.. but I DON'T want to use the phone really, or sign up with AT&T. I already have a cell phone plan I am happy with.

Sooooo my question is simple. Can I use the iphone and "activate it" without signing up with AT&T for their 2-yr contract??

Also can I sync my exsisting ipod touch account onto my iphone? Hoping to give my touch to my daughter as a gift this weekend so this is why the urgency in a response.

Thank you all, you're all so awesome!

Jimmy97

Well, yeah, if you buy the no-contract iPhone. You'd have to wait til the end of March though, not to mention it costs $599 - for the 8GB version. Just get the touch with a small microphone add-on, or the Apple stero/in-ear headphones, and the camera on the iPhone sucks anyway so why would you want that really. The iPhone's kind of a package deal - if you're not using the phone it's pointless to buy one as opposed to a touch.
Don't know what you mean by account, if you mean back-up then probably, but I'm not sure.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Any iPhone that's is not subsidized (sell u phone cheaper by agreeing to a contract) is gonna cost ya usd$500+ for the priviledge.

R

ReyZero

You can't buy an iPhone with no-contract unless you're already an AT&T customer, according to their announcement.

queenmarylady

Ack! Got it, glad I asked! Thanks everyone, I'll just go with the 2G touch :D
I've already got a good camera and cell phone so none of that is really necessary.
Thanks you all rock! :D

jmyler

durrson said:
It's worth noting that the GPG feature is really good in the iPhone... but from you've said, maybe an iPhone ain't good for ya..
But it's pretty much useless unless you are on WiFi most appliations need data e.g. maps.

I was assuming that you meant you were going to buy a used iPhone from someone, everyone else assumed you were going to get one from AT&T or apple. That would make more sense to me, you can find one much cheaper and on't have to get hassled. I still don't know the answer to your question but no one really answered wether or not you can use it. i guess a test would be to take the SIMM card out and see wha happens.

malavik

to be fair

i got an iphone from a friend, got the firmware and software on it, i think, but does it still need a simm card? like any simm, card to be used?

Sid32

I would look to sell the iphone and use the money to get a touch if you don't need it as a phone.. No, it shouldn't need a sim care..

dgreening

I purchased an iPhone off of Craigslist for $250. Screen was perfect and with a case you can't tell it was used. Now to the topic of this thread, my son is using it just like an iTouch. The only thing is after a reboot it will say no sim card. Just click OK and move on. Everything works as it is supposed to. I have it connected to my Wi-Fi and my son plays Words with Friends while he is at the house. Listens to music, takes pictures, he basically does everything except make calls. By the way, I have an iTouch that my other son uses and the only difference is the camera. I did put an AT&T sim card in the iPhone and AT&T contacted me to advise that they noticed that an iPhone was on the network and setup the data plan. I took the sim card out and called AT&T and they removed the data plan for the phone.

malavik

i dont see an ok button or anything, just the slide to unlock which doesnt seem to want to unlock, the reason i am sticking with this iphone as opposed to a itouch is because the iphone i have is free and if i can get it unlock ( i got software programs all that on it, cyndia) like move that little bar to unlock i will use it, i doubt i will get much money for a 2g iphone