iPod not syncing with iTunes (or being recognized in My Computer)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jeremiahjw

When I go to hook up my iPod (60GB 5G) to my computer, it does not show up in My Computer, iTunes, or in my device manager (running XP 32 Pro). Either the battery symbol shows the "charging" mode, or a large message with "charging" pops up.

I've reset the iPod a couple of times
I know it's not the cable or USB port as my iPod nano will hook up
This is a used iPod I purchased off eBay (seller never mentioned that it was not working in iTunes)
I've repaired itunes, reset the iPod, and restarted the computer, and it still did not work
The iPod almost has a full charge
I've looked all over the internet, but everyone seems to have their problem solved by resetting the iPod
I called Apple support, but the iPod is out of warranty so they really can't help me without me forking over the dough (go figure Apple)

Could it be the version of iTunes I am running...or something else?

KerlyQ

you bought it off ebay huh?.....seller sold it bcuz of that guaranteed! your probably lookin at a new harddrive purchace in the future!......oh wait does it still work without it being plugged in to itunes. Basicly if you still have anytihing on the ipod and it works then its most likely a software issue, upgrade to the newest version of itunes, if you already havent.

jeremiahjw

Aside from not being able to hook it to my computer, it works fine. I am also running the latest version of iTunes.

jeremiahjw

And it was Disc Manager, not device manager BTW.

Last edited:

pm7771

Used classic - won't connect

Jeremiah-

Same Same Same case for me - I have a new Nano 4G but bought a Classic 80gig today at $100 thru Craigs List & it comes up unrecognized USB device - did one insertion it DID install & as is proper ask me if I wanted to sync with iTunes ( and wipe the 3200 songs on it )

I don 't believe is defective; we have another classic in the household - I wanna see if THAT one will install & try to sync

I have an apple store up the road - I'll try to post what I find

Peter

Last edited:

jeremiahjw

"bit one insertion it DID install & as is proper ask me if I wanted to sync with iTunes"

Bit one insertion...what do you mean?

pm7771

woops! I meant did one insertion of the Classic into its dock - and everything appeared to go fine - yet to try my son's unit. A small mystery for sure!

Peter

valk1

@jeremiahjw,

In Device Manager > View : do you have the option to "Show Hidden Devices"? If yes, look to see if iPod shows up as a slightly greyed-out, shadow device, or as an "Unknown" device (yellow question mark). Check the Disk Drives, Storage Volumes and USB Controller categories and subcategories.

pm7771

FINALLY! Got it Going!

Jeremiah - ok so bought this classic 80gig yesterday for $100, and no sync - kept coming up in 3 PCs unrecognized USB device - replace, with sync cable or dock - all but 1 time maybe 9th 10th attempt when it asked if I wanted to sync over the existing 3200 songs, I said no and couldn't get that back.

later evening ( early this morn ) kept playing with the sync cable insertion into the jack, and learning the restart routine on the iPod & finally did the update thing & after a seeming long download & update it came up in my name with my music !!!

It had looked very dismal, and Apple service pricing is out of control. Jeez, WalMart does a battery in my Grand Cherokee for $68 but an iPod battery is $79 !

Don't know if its my imagination but I thought the sound from the Classic is a little better than my new Nano 4G - anyway I'm much happier this morning with my new bargain than I was yesterday. Keep trying slow plug insertions & do the update - I think I had corrupt drivers or something else corrupted that finally fixed itself

I wish you success // Peter

jeremiahjw

When you say "update thing" you mean you updated to the newest version of iTunes?

@valk1: I'll have to check...will get back about that

pm7771

Nope, not the iTunes - its fresh anyways from my new Nano 4G. Its the software/firmware/OS or whatever its called for the iPod itself. Its obviously more than a portable hard drive, theres the interface / player / feature software.

My thoughts are that the "interface" software that talks to the USB bus controller before iTunes was corrupt in my case, and therefore unable to be ID'd by my 3 PCs - 2 running XP and a laptop running Vista

Scott549

Something to try -- this is the problem I've had -- it has to do with drive letter assignments. First, try a different USB port. If that doesn't work, check on My Computer and see what drive letter is assigned to the iPod. If the iPod is named C: or some other letter that is close in the alphabet to your hard drive, that can freak iTunes out for some reason. So you have to change the drive letter that is assigned to the iPod. I'm not at my home computer now, but there is a place where you can change the drive letter. When I've had this happen and I change the iPod to a drive letter like T: or Y:, iTunes then recognizes it and it works fine.

jeremiahjw

@Scott549 - My computer is in no way recognizing the iPod...i.e. I don't see it in My Computer.

@PM7771 - I looked for firmware updates to my iPod, but I could not find any for the one I had, and really didn't find a place where they had all of the downloads. Also, my computer is not "seeing" my iPod...so how would I install it to my iPod?

@Valk1 - I tried what you said, but still don't see it

pm7771

OH - one more thing. When I first got the (used) Classic to show up I deleted 4 files and a document ( that which my computer couldn't open) and ran the restore/update thing. I don't think the original owner used the Classic as a drive, but maybe there are some default files there, and maybe a corrupt file causes grief.

I'm out on a limb, but will say it looked somewhat useless & plugging, unplugging, plugging i in finally got it going. I will say that now if it fails to sync at least I have losts of good music in it, I can charge it, and it works well as a music server

Peter

valk1

If you're comfortable with this, perform the steps outlined in Post #16 (by "Badhusha") of the thread on this page:

http: // dan.hersam. com/2005/07/18/usb-device-not-recognized/

[remove spaces for viable link]

Your PC should re-install the drivers for your USB device (iPod). It's best to print out the steps so you'll have access to the details while you're offline or rebooting.

***ALTERNATIVELY,***

Perform the steps in post #66 (of that same thread) first, as they are less 'invasive' and may be all you need to solve your problem.

Last edited:

jeremiahjw

I think I solved the problem!

The seller of the iPod let us return it for our money back. He was able to successfully hook it up to his computer. I'm not sure if he had a PC or a Mac, but a though occurred to me...maybe the iPod was formatted on a Mac and thus could not be recognized by my PC.