Connecting iPod touch to home theater system via wi-fi or bluetooth

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

gryphone

Is there any way I can connect the iPod Touch 2nd Gen to a home theater system wirelessly? The idea would be that the iPod then becomes the "music remote" and whatever I play on it gets heard through my audio system.

I've been searching for solutions, but unsuccessfully.

1. Bluetooth:
Belkin Tunestage and Griffin Bluetrip used to do exactly this, but alas, they've either been discontinued or do not connect to the iPod Touch. Are there any other solutions with both a transmitter which connects to the iPod and receiver which connects to a home theater via RCA?
Even if not, I suppose it is conceivable to split them up. In other words, is there an A2DP transmitter made by one manufacturer which connects to the iPod Touch and an A2DP compatible Receiver made by another which connects to the home theater?

2. Wi-Fi:
The iPod touch has wi-fi. Is there any solution which can pick the music up from the iPod over wi-fi and play it over the home theater?

Hoping you gurus can help!

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
I don't know of any wireless solution to play songs that are on your Touch. However, if you can get your iTunes library wired up to your home stereo, you can use the (free) Remote application which allows your Touch to (wirelessly) control your iTunes library, which you'd be listening to on your stereo. If you can't wire your iTunes library to your stereo, AirTunes is a wireless solutions for that, though I'm not sure if Remote pairs up with that.

gryphone

Thanks rockmyplimsoul, but as you pointed out, the remote app option controls only the iTunes library, requiring the computer to always stay on in order to listen to music.

A bluetooth transmitter/receiver combination, on the other hand, is pretty much standalone with the iPod Touch and that's what I'm looking for.

Any ideas?

WIBBLA

Problem Sorted for you goto google and type Bluetooth Transmiter/reciever and you will find your answer i got one from amazon and it works a treat!

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
U can always get a stand-alone BT transmitter, duct tape it to the touch and the signal comes out of the headphone jack with a cable attachment. UGLY I know, I wouldn't do it either.

gryphone

Update - found the Bluetooth Tx/Rx

An update:

I did manage to find the Bluetooth Tx which connects directly to the iPod, and a corresponding Rx which connects to the home theater system

They're made by a company called GEAR4 (gear4 dot com), and the products are BluStream RX and BluStream TX.

It's a UK based company, but ships fast. I got it yesterday and everything seems to work great.

Thanks for all those who helped (or tried to!)

HTexas

Blustream RX and TX

It looks like you need both the Blustream RX and Blustream TX for it to work? Can you confirm? One is the unit that hooks up to the stereo (RX) and the other hooks to the ipod (TX)? Could you please confirm? Is "gear dot com" the best place to purchase (best price)?

I'm looking to replace my DLO Homedock Deluxe.

Thanks!

HTexas

Blustream RX and TX

Works! And seems like it will be a lot of fun! It's somewhat sensitive, but if you are not waving your ipod around, it is wonderful! And about 1/3 the cost of buying the Logitech Squeezebox Duet!

The unit comes with a European power plug. All you have to do is use your Apple plug that charges your ipod through the wall outlet or go to Radio Shack and get the same thing to power it up.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase! Hard to get in the states, but I got mine through Amazon UK and did better than getting it directly from the manufacturer, Gear4.