Ipod has the ability to play WMA

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

netrack

the ability, but still will not, or so it seems

" Chip manufacture Portal Player in San Diego US build the embedded 8550 chip in Apple's IPod.
This is the chip that allows the playing of AAC and MP3 - However what is interesting is that the chip firmware by default also allows the playing of WMA.

It looks like for some reason this is locked by Apple. The Portal Player chip is used in other Mobile Media Players and by default allows all three formats. This is going to course some concern on the freedom of choice given to users of the Apple IPod. We're sure that at some point in the not too distant future the IPod will be cracked to allow Windows Media Audio played back on the IPod.
"

Source Eweek

GeorgeC

I hope Apple can re-enable it through a firmware upgrade. Enabling iPods to play WMA would only help increase their market share...

Cheers,

netrack

i would think so too, it is probably just a setting in the firmware

stark23x

Website
www.right-thoughts.us
It would be VERY smart of them to allow it. It would be the only music player on the market to be able to play all the major commerical download service formats.

If they don't do it, Microsoft WILL. When they step into the market with a store and a player, I'll bet money the player will magically "Play your iTunes Music Store purchases!"

enjoilax

GeorgeC said:
I hope Apple can re-enable it through a firmware upgrade. Enabling iPods to play WMA would only help increase their market share...

Cheers,
BUT, the double edged store means itunes loses customers.
But yes they should allow WMA, despite the fact it sucks. *curses*

I say re-enable WMA, and add it to the store *shudders*

Shadow

Software Developer
Website
www.purpleghost.com
I read that article too and I agree with other people that posted responses there as well. Why does the author of this article say
This is going to course some concern on the freedom of choice given to users of the Apple IPod.
The company stated that the same chip is used in other players to play WMA files. Well, then, it follows that those players turned off the AAC support of the chip just like Apple turned of WMA support. Why would only iPod users be upset? Why wouldn't the users of the other players be just as upset that their manufacturers turned off AAC support?

WorldOfWarcraft

I think Rio Karma and Apple iPod uses the same chip and of course Karma can play wma files. If Apple were to enalbe wma on iPod, they need to pay up license fee (decoder) to Microsoft. If they wanted to have all 3G iPod and iPod mini to play wma, maybe it will cost them about 5 to 10 G's.

jahwork328

Website
fearatutk.blogspot.com
The way I see it, Apple is just playing the market, and they're doing it pretty well..

Think about it.. They use AAC, which right now only works on iPods. Itunes music store is doing well, and so are iPods... if a music player actually starts to cut into Apple's market share by saying "we support WMA AND AAC" apple can just release new firmware and say Oh yeah? we can do that too. But in the meantime, they'll milk their iPod/AAC marketing tactic for all that it's worth..

I think its genuis.. :)

kloan

SSMoy
If the iPod supported WMA, meaning if it was enabled... Apple would have to pay for licensing... why would they want to do that when they have a FAR SUPERIOR codec?

WMA SUCKS. I don't see why any of you are wanting it. It's terrible.

stark23x

Website
www.right-thoughts.us
Oh please. Every codec sucks and is the greatest. I'm so tired of this stupid argument.

CHOICE. Having your player play all commercial formats means you have CHOICE, and that is a good thing.

sparks9

Enabling wma would probably kill the aac format which would kill the iTunes music store. So don't expect wma support from Apple in the near future.

MeshAir

kloan said:
If the iPod supported WMA, meaning if it was enabled... Apple would have to pay for licensing... why would they want to do that when they have a FAR SUPERIOR codec?

WMA SUCKS. I don't see why any of you are wanting it. It's terrible.
WMA licensing fees are much lower than AAC. And honestly, I'd pretty near impossible to tell the difference between 198kbits OGG, WMAPro or AAC with standard portable music equipment.

kloan

SSMoy
CHOICE. Having your player play all commercial formats means you have CHOICE, and that is a good thing.
yep, and i choose to believe from my own ears that WMA sucks. and if someone comes out with a hack, i'll never use it because there's no point. i ripped a lot of my cds with windows media player, and they sound like s**t compared to the same music ripped with itunes in aac. that's a fact and a lot of people will agree. i think you people just want something to complain about.

Mountain Man

It seems pretty obvious to me why Apple doesn't support WMA. Probably the same reason Windows Media Player doesn't support AAC.

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
See, this is exactly what companies like Microsoft do, and people hate them, but when Apple does it people don't even mind, where is the equality here?

JBF

Pixel Intoxication
Website
www.jedinights.com
Adam said:
See, this is exactly what companies like Microsoft do, and people hate them, but when Apple does it people don't even mind, where is the equality here?
People are blinded by the "beauty" of the apple products and the fact that honestly, it's just really good marketing and keeping the "bad press" under wraps, if you ask me. :)

The companies are more alike than people think. *shrugs*

kloan

SSMoy
The companies are more alike than people think. *shrugs*
There's something I can agree with... I've been saying that for a while now, and everybody argues with me.. but it's true..

Unknown_One

If they don't do it, Microsoft WILL. When they step into the market with a store and a player, I'll bet money the player will magically "Play your iTunes Music Store purchases!"
No. If microsoft enables AAC, it would only be able to playback files that were created from CD using iTunes or some other peogram, but it would be able to play back the FairPlay DRM- protected iTunes music store purchases.