iPhone low on memory?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

TheMBC

Website
www.phonesocial.net
I opened Aurora Feint to play and I got this notification that reads....

"Your device is low on memory and Aurora Feint may unexpectedly close. If you continue to receive this powering off your device..." and it said something else but I can't remember.

Why would my phone be low on memory?

Attachments

hardcle

I played it for the first time today, and I got the same notice. I usually have 5-6GB free and I didn't have anything else open. The game seemed to work fine.

Stay Alive 305

iPhone 3G Owner
Website
www.myspace.com
I got that notice as well and I'm pretty sure by memory it means RAM. One thing you can do to avoid crashing because of low memory is to go to the Safari, iPod, and Mail and hold the home button till the application crashes. Those are the only 3 applications that Apple has allowed to run in the background. When you crash them they are no longer running in the background.

EDIT: I just did that and still gave me the warning. I don't know what it could be. I doubt it's actual memory but if it is have 9.8 gigs available right now.

Last edited:

TheMBC

Website
www.phonesocial.net
If it's talking about space, I've read that Apple is only allowing 500mb for apps on the iPhone and iPod touch. Maybe that's it.

If it means RAM, I shouldn't be getting this message.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
A quick Google search turns up pretty much nothing about how much RAM is in the i3G. The best thing I found was THIS but it seems to be mostly speculation.

daihard

Stay Alive 305 said:
I got that notice as well and I'm pretty sure by memory it means RAM. One thing you can do to avoid crashing because of low memory is to go to the Safari, iPod, and Mail and hold the home button till the application crashes. Those are the only 3 applications that Apple has allowed to run in the background. When you crash them they are no longer running in the background.

EDIT: I just did that and still gave me the warning. I don't know what it could be. I doubt it's actual memory but if it is have 9.8 gigs available right now.
It could just be an application specific issue. The amount of memory occupied by the stubs of Mail, Safari and iPod should not make too much of a difference.

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
From the sounds of it, this is more a problem with the app than with the iphone. Of all the apps I've used I have never once had a memory issue. I think it's probably the app incorrectly communicating and / or utilizing the iphone's resources. It may be fixed with a future update, but I know the iphone is sufficiently capable processor wise to handle such operations.

A report I read last week that went in depth on the iphone's gaming capabilities said that the iphone is somewhere between the PS2 and the original Xbox in terms of processing power for gaming.

iPhone Luver

I know on the iphone 2G the phone is partitioned and only has very little space for apps. If you have a jailbroken iphone you can download a tool called BOSSTOOLS. It will move apps over into the much bigger partition freeing up a substantial amount of memory. I moved the fonts directory alone and freed up 100megs.

chromecast

does anyone know of a task or process manager that will work on the iPhone? a ps -l would be quite helpful if possible...

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
chromecast said:
does anyone know of a task or process manager that will work on the iPhone? a ps -l would be quite helpful if possible...

Nothing that would run on the phone, since aps can't run in the background. There may be something like that for the virtual iPhone in the SDK.

chromecast

Surf Monkey said:
Nothing that would run on the phone, since aps can't run in the background. There may be something like that for the virtual iPhone in the SDK.
darn. I was hoping along the lines of being able to kill unnecessary apple process that may be having an adverse effect on performance etc... there are times when my 'vanilla' iphone would start acting sluggish, and I always thought it might be something that hadn't closed properly etc.. I have found that force killing an app (hold home) sometimes helps, but maybe its just a placebo effect.

eye-Fone

You could always ask the author of this program at their site, aurofeint.

(edit: Now that I can actually post links/images, I updated this to embed the link to that particular web site)

Last edited: