3G: Glass not flush, dust under screen

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jfnc

Anyone experience this? On my 3G, there is a very slight gap between the edge of the glass and the case. If you look at the right angle with a flashlight, you can see the inside of the phone, presumable the circuit board. Also, the glass is not flush with the case, and there is some “give” there if you press down. This is not very noticeable, and you would have to look for it to find it. But now there is a speck of dust or something in that corner, and by moving the phone around, you can tell it’s clearly under the glass. It’s under the black portion, so this spec isn’t a biggie. But I’ve only had the phone 3 days. I think it’s only a matter of time before other specs get in, and end up in the functional area of the screen. I wonder if apple will replace it- it may be within their QA parameters, who knows.

walleck

I have a white 3g and the bezel on the right face is noticebly higher than the left. It it rough to the touch as my thumb slides off the screen. I plan on returning it once the supplies get back to normal. .

4SFORFUN

why would'nt you take it back immediately & at least put ATT/Apple on notice since it is brand new. I would'nt wait.

ExtremeSIMS

Website
www.extremesims.com
walleck said:
I have a white 3g and the bezel on the right face is noticebly higher than the left. It it rough to the touch as my thumb slides off the screen. I plan on returning it once the supplies get back to normal. .

I have the same issue, as well as the case on the side being a little out of wack. Now that I look at it in a dark room, I can see a slight bit of light leakage. Hmmm.

Last edited:

walleck

I was planning on taking it to Apple store eventually, but with iPhones out of stock, I would imagine I would be SOL with no phones to exchange it for.

kloan

SSMoy
I'd say don't bother getting another one until Apple does something about it. You're pretty much guaranteed the one you get will have the same problem.

I got a replacement today, and sure enough light leakage, uneven glass, sharp edges on corners, etc.. I'm just going to wait a month or so until they get new stock before I try to exchange it again.

walleck

sorry to hear others have similiar build quality problems. Although I like the 3g and gps of the new iPhones, I must admit my 1st GEN is nicer looking IMHO.

kenics

the stores have separate stock for phones with issues. No one should really have to wait to get a replacement.

ExtremeSIMS

Website
www.extremesims.com
They call them service units. I went to Fair Oaks and most displays were smooth and level; ditto Tysons. I'll have to go back when they get more service units. The Apple guys strongly urged me to return ASAP before more issues arise.

TheMBC

Website
www.phonesocial.net
walleck said:
I have the same phone...and the same problem.

My 1st Gen iPhone also had a gap between the bevel and the screen...I can stick my nail in it, all the way around...

Germansuplex

I don't see any gaps.. it feels like there is a rubber/plastic filler in between the glass and the case. Nevertheless, I've noticed about three dust particles under the screen, many of which popped up less than 24 hours after owning the phone. Very annoying. My first iPhone last year had dust under the screen, the second one (touch-screen stopped responding on the first) shipped with something that looked like an eyelash or tiny hair wedged right under between the chrome and the glass.

It's very frustrating, but I'm not one to return my phone, especially with the stock shortage. If it gets too bad, I'll be giving Apple a call. I really hate to do that though, because I'm not one of those whiney customers. But dust under a screen of ANY electronic is highly annoying. I have some very small, fine dust particles under the screen of my iPod classic too. I'm exceptionally careful with them, so I'm convinced it's build quality.

jfnc

It feels like rubber because it is rubber. The guy at the Apple store told me that the glass is no longer glued in place, but held in place by a rubber gasket. He said the glass not being flush with the screen is a bigger problem than just dust getting under the screen, but what could happen months down the road if the gasket continues to loose it's grip. the new unit they gave me is fine. After reading this thread, I did notice that the bottom-right edge is not completely smooth to the touch. I looked at my 1st gen phone, and though I never noticed it before, it also has a rough edge on the bottom-right. I would never have noticed either if I hadn't read this thread, you almost have to be specifically looking for it to find it. Since it's pretty much the same on my 1st and 2nd gen phones (slightly more raised in the 2nd gen), I'm guessing it's an artifact of the manufacturing process.

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
ya guys. The unfornate part of this situation is that the iPhone 3G is just made with cheaper and easier to assemble parts. You get what you pay for after all.

A guy I was waiting in line with at the apple store told me that since there are two screws at the bottom of the new phone, the battery can be replaced. Can anyone confirm this?

TheMBC

Website
www.phonesocial.net
^ While the battery is no longer soldered down, it doesn't mean that it can be replaced, especially not by you...it will void your warranty if you try un-screwing it.

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
Ok that's two confirmations I have now. That's all I wanted to know. I'm not worried about my warranty at the moment.