How do you change the MAC address

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

tbluhp

How can I change it for my iPod touch?
I need simple basic and easy to understand directions.

I am unable to connect to the net with my iPod as of now!

tbluhp

DerekVOF said:
Saw this post - http://toc2rta.com/?q=node/27

Haven't tried it myself, but it might work. You'd have to be jailbroken with a terminal app and the BSD subsystem installed to try it out...
How do you do this part like the script?
Install the Terminal app on your iPod Touch. Load it up and type the following at the prompt:

ifconfig en0 lladdr 00:00:00:00:00:01

The command will change your mac address to "00:00:00:00:00:01" so substitute it for whatever you want.

This change will not be reflected in the Settings menu but typing "ifconfig" will confirm the change.

Now all you have to do is write a script to execute the command every time your iPod restarts.

tbluhp

I cant install nothing using installer app cause my ipod won't connect to any network due to MAC address problem. Do I also install the BSD?

DerekVOF

Yeah, you'd need BSD as well. It's be much easier if you picked up your own wireless router and then could do away with MAC filtering... otherwise, it's going to be a pain. You'd have to run the command listed in the link every time you turned your iPod Touch on.

Sparkee

Why do you want to change the MAC address on the touch? If you are using MAC address filtering for security add the touch's MAC address to your routers filters to allow it.

The ability to change a wireless devices MAC address is why this is not a good approach to wireless security. A hacker can sit outside your house and monitor your network with a packet sniffer and easily get the MAC addresses of your devices as they use your network. I think WEP is a better solution but WPA is the most secure method to lock down a network.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Wild guess, he's using a router that's on sum1 else's control. Like a work router and he wants to change his Touch MAC to his laptop's, which is authorized.

tbluhp

bobb-mini said:
Wild guess, he's using a router that's on sum1 else's control. Like a work router and he wants to change his Touch MAC to his laptop's, which is authorized.
No it our home network. Our router for some odd glitch and disabled my iPod to get on the network.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
tbluhp said:
No it our home network. Our router for some odd glitch and disabled my iPod to get on the network.
You have an expert audience, tell us why u feel neccessary doing the MAC dance.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Code Monkey said:
Because evidently this is simpler than simply changing the MAC filtering list in the router's setup :D
Let the man speak. This has all the sign of looking the wrong cave or doing it the hard way.

tbluhp

I did that script in terminal and it gave me operation not permitted anyone know what's going one?

AndyT4097

Cant you login to the router if its your local router. Try the IP like 192.168.1.1 or something like that depending on your routers manufacturer. If you can login to your router you can change the allowed MAC address to your Touch's MAC address. Wouldnt this be SOOOO much easier?

kryptonit3

tbluhp said:
I did that script in terminal and it gave me operation not permitted anyone know what's going one?
you got that error because when u use the console ur logged in as "mobile",
u need root privledges

you need to type

Code:
su root
hit enter

and then enter the password
**should be alpine unless u changed it**