Applebee's WiFi

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Todd5050

Today, I tried my Touch at Applebee's where they have free wireless internet. They say all you have to do is connect and open your browser and you are in. I tried with my touch. I saw the wifi connection, and it even looked like I was connected. I had the 3 blue curved lines in the upper left corner saying I had a signal, but every time I opened my browser it said it could not find the server.

I tried different settings and tried the Renew Lease, but still could not get on. I have yet to get on a wifi hotspot outside my house that works. It has worked great at home from day one. I think it is useless if I can't use it abroad. Any suggestions?

ipodlover29

Registered iLounger
Todd5050 said:
Today, I tried my Touch at Applebee's where they have free wireless internet. They say all you have to do is connect and open your browser and you are in. I tried with my touch. I saw the wifi connection, and it even looked like I was connected. I had the 3 blue curved lines in the upper left corner saying I had a signal, but every time I opened my browser it said it could not find the server.

I tried different settings and tried the Renew Lease, but still could not get on. I have yet to get on a wifi hotspot outside my house that works. It has worked great at home from day one. I think it is useless if I can't use it abroad. Any suggestions?
I think the upcoming 2.0 update will allow to connect to more hot spots.

being the applebees jubkie that i am... you have to ask your applebees server for a FREE wifi card, they give you a looooong pin # to enter in your browser.

the pin # is good for 1 hour once you enter it.

this stops people from just parking outside to check their email and stuff

Last edited by a moderator:

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
jdeproductions said:
this stops people from just parking outside to check their email and stuff
That's totally annoying to the customer and unecessary.

At my local library, "parking" outside doesn't work, but once inside yr good.

My guess is, they use directional antennas and coupled with placement and tweaking RF power, usable signals can be confined and controlled.

Am guessing Applebee's hired the cheapo IT outfit to do its WIFI.

bubsdaddy

I had the same trouble at a Panera Bread. I looked at the setup in settings and discovered that the Touch was set to static IP instead of DHCP. I switched it to DHCP and everything worked fine.

daihard

Todd5050 said:
Some hot spots have equipment that's incompatible with the iPod touch. Applebee may be one of such places. The city of Seattle has a free Wi-Fi service in the downtown area, but it does not work with the touch. (I asked them why via mail; they told me their hardware was not compatible with iPod touch...)

dmonk

daihard said:
Some hot spots have equipment that's incompatible with the iPod touch. Applebee may be one of such places. The city of Seattle has a free Wi-Fi service in the downtown area, but it does not work with the touch. (I asked them why via mail; they told me their hardware was not compatible with iPod touch...)
It's also possible you called a guy who has no idea what he is doing.
I don't think the "Touch" necessarily has anything to do it with it. Rather, its a networking interface like 802.1x that could be the reason(not saying that is it).

Touchmyipod

Livin' & Lovin' in SoCal
Website
www.epk.tv
I have seen numerous threads about this, and I have seen that some suggest it is the "acceptance"" or "terms of agreement" page when first accessing wifi that may be a problem. Also have you tried connecting then restarting the touch, and automatically joining the network again? I haven't had many wifi issues, but I have heard people say those things help....

Last edited:

daihard

dmonk said:
It's also possible you called a guy who has no idea what he is doing.
I don't think the "Touch" necessarily has anything to do it with it. Rather, its a networking interface like 802.1x that could be the reason(not saying that is it).
The guy said it was 802.11b/g, which is what pretty much everyone has. According to him, it is the combination of the touch and Safari, and that they've only tested Firefox on Mac OS. (He does sound like he knows what he's talking about.)

cowboyshootist

daihard said:
The guy said it was 802.11b/g, which is what pretty much everyone has. According to him, it is the combination of the touch and Safari, and that they've only tested Firefox on Mac OS. (He does sound like he knows what he's talking about.)
Sounds like more BS to me. First the Touch will work on an 802.11b/g connection. I know this because my Linksys router at home is 802.11b/g.

Safari shouldn't have anything to do with getting a connection. This is an application that would use the connection once made but you have to make the connection first. It may be that you need to accept the terms and conditions from the browser in order to use the connection. That connection page may require something that is incompatible with the Touch (like Flash or Java or something like that).

This guy may know what he is talking about but he hasn't explained it very well (or you haven't explained what he said very well :) )

DerekVOF

Well, just because they have an 802.11b/g router doesn't necessarily mean it'll work. If that was the case, we wouldn't see the number of posts that we do from users saying they're unable to connect to their home/business routers. I have yet to see any specifics (other than Linksys seem to be especially problematic), but otherwise nothing to narrow down 100% what the issue may be.