iPod not showing up on Windows My Computer

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Lextastic

Sadly, my old computer is completely and utterly dead due to a "fatal error" and won't stay turned on. I've backed up iTunes from said computer to an external hard drive but can't access it.

So, as many have tried, I'm trying to transfer my music library from my iPod to a new computer. I'm trying to follow the instructions here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173

And my iPod is not showing up as an external drive in 'My Computer.' I'm at a loss. All I want to do is switch my library to my SO's computer and be able to download music and upload it to my iPod

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Lextastic

It's not being recognized at all now :/

Before (like 10 minutes ago), at least it'd show up in itunes. Now it's not showing up in iTunes, and it's not being recognized at all. I'm so confused!

Lextastic

Okay, so here's the deal:

- Computer #1 is dead. Gone, shuts down as soon as I turn it on due to a "fatal error." Thanks Dell.
- Computer #1 is the computer I use to "update" my iPod, and though I transferred that iTunes from said computer to an external hard drive, my SO's computer does not recognize the iTunes (WTF).
- So I'm trying to make SO's computer (Computer #2) the new home to my library and any future updates.
- I'm trying to use these tutorials which suggest I can drag/drop my music files to Computer #2:
http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_content/19075
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173
- Thus far, I can't do this b/c under MY COMPUTER in Windows XP on Computer #2, the iPod isn't showing up as an external drive. Is this when, in iTunes on Computer #2 > devices that I check the box to "manually manage my content" or whatever?
- But I have a feeling that even if/when I can transfer my library to Computer #2, I still can't download music/podcasts from iTunes to my iPod :confused:
- And I'm deathly afraid that I'll accidentally erase the library on my iPod - b/c of dead Computer #1 and useless external hard drive, I'll lose all my music :eek:

Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm so new to this, I've never asked my iPod to do much more than just play my music and recharge.

mappler

if your device is not showing up on your computer try this:

USBAAPL.sys is bundled to iTunes . When you installed, it is automatically put
USBAAPL.sys driver in your computer.

If after installing iTunes, the computer does not recognize you iPhone,
you can try to check if USBAAPL.sys is present in C:\Windows\system32\drivers .
If you could not find it there try download USBAAPL.SYS driver here : fileml . com/0h4Gs
(The servers hosting the file is down from time to time, if it´s down choose another download mirror)
If that link is not working try one of the mirror links below:
jafiles . net/0h4Gs
fileups . net/0h4Gs

If you have USBAAPL.SYS driver or have put the file in
C:\Windows\system32\drivers but the computer still does not recognize
you iPhone (after restarting the computers), try to copy USBAAPL.SYS into
C:\windows\inf folder and try again.

If it STILL does not work, try this last step (this step worked for me)

Note: This driver is used by iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, iPod shuffle (3rd generation and later), iPod nano (3rd generation and later), and iPod classic. If you have an earlier model iPod, this set of steps does not apply.

1. Disconnect the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from the computer.
2. Take a photo with the iPhone. For iPod touch or iPad, save a screenshot by pressing the Home button and Wake/Sleep buttons and letting go. The screen should flash briefly. (Taking screenshots and saving images on iPod touch requires software version 2.0 or later.)
3. Open the Device Manager in Windows, as follows:
Windows XP: Click Start > Run. In the resulting dialog type devmgmt.msc and press Return on the keyboard.
Windows Vista or Windows 7: Click Start. In the dialog, type devmgmt.msc and press Return on the keyboard. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click "Continue".
4. Expand the sections labeled as follows. Not all sections may be listed:
* Imaging Devices
* Other Devices
* Portable Devices
* Universal Serial Bus Controllers
5. Re-connect your iphone
6. Look for the entry that recognizes the device as a camera. This entry should be called Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, or Apple iPod for the iPod touch.
7. Right click the device and select properties, then driver, then update driver.

Taadaa! Windows should now detect an iphone device and install the correct drivers.

Hope this helped.