iPod Classic 'Buglist'

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

FredWasTaken

MatthewK said:
I'd have to say the biggest issue I have right now with my 160GB 1.0.3 Classic iPod is the bug where in the middle of a song it suddenly skips to the next one. Very annoying as someone already pointed out.
It sounds annoying but is it a bug or is it your MP3? Is there a pattern behind which MP3s do this?

tricius

Hey guys, newbie here. Anyway, i'm using an ipod classic with firmware version 1.0.3 and its about 3 weeks old. This morning as i was using it, it suddenly just hanged. Since any button i press didn't do anything, my last resort was to do a reset. When i did that, i think it just crashed. It was like my ipod was in a constant state of "perpetual resetting". Putting it into disk mode and then restoring it didn't work. Emptying the batt then restoring it still didn't work. Hopefully i can get it fixed/replaced tomorrow when i bring it to the official service center here in our country. I got mine in the States so i'm hoping the warranty will still hold. Just a little heads-up, guys...

alan_bay

Volume control bug

rolsskk said:
If you want silence, then why not hit pause?
This problem is in another current thread under 'iPod Forums> iPod & iPhone Discussions iPod classic & iPod 5G/video' forum with the same misunderstanding. I don't think anyone is interested in "listening" to their iPod with the volume totally down. The problem is it will not lower at all. I personally, would like the ability to lower the volume at times to where it doesn't hurt my ears on certain songs. That ability went away with some firmware update somewhere along the line.
Again, the problem is that the volume can not be lowered to zero or anywhere between mid-level db. It's not a zero volume issue. It's a 'no control over the volume.. period' problem. Pausing the iPod is not an answer to listening at a very quiet volume setting.

Last edited:

vocrobot

I used the search facility yesterday to find a song, selected it and it started playing something completely different. Skipped back, selected it again and it played the right song. Haven't been right through this thread so don't know if it has been mentioned before.

AnyBand

i found a bug, its small, but its a bug otherwise. In podcasts, it says I have 9 podcasts but I have at least 91 podcasts. Has anyone else experienced this? Or is the 9 suppose to mean that I have 9 new podcasts that I haven't played yet?

EDIT: Okay, I figured something out. It goes by how many podcasts you have, and not by how episodes each podcast has.

Last edited:

MatthewK

Just had my first "hiccup" on a 320kbps VBR MP3. Somewhere in the song it paused for about 2 seconds then resumed. MP3 file is not corrupt, plays fine on my PC.

epaludo

MatthewK said:
Just had my first "hiccup" on a 320kbps VBR MP3. Somewhere in the song it paused for about 2 seconds then resumed. MP3 file is not corrupt, plays fine on my PC.
I've noticed this issue with both 1.0.1 and 1.0.3 firmwares. Either with MP3 or ALAC files. Is there anyone whom never experienced this little problem with the classic before? If yes, which firmware are you using ... ?

RickB

I have not experienced this problem with my Classic 80GB (yet). I say yet because I did experience it with my previous 5.5G 30GB iPod. I think this is caused by the harddrive becoming very fragmented on the player. Apple advises against defragmenting, so my plan is to just restore my Classic when/if the problem rears its ugly head.

Rick

johnpcs

160gb Ipod Classic 1.0.3 firmware

I am also experiencing the intermittent pausing problem. At random times the ipod will pause during playback for 2 seconds and then resume playing. Has anyone discovered the reason for this to occur and/ or a fix to resolve this concern?

Erasmus

iPod Classic 160GB - No Sound for 2 secs during playback (very intermittent)

I have exactly the same problem with my 160GB iPod Classic. During playback I get complete loss of sound for approximately 2 seconds. During this time, the iPod can be controlled normally (i.e. the operating system hasn't frozen or locked up).

Apple replaced my first Classic, but my second one still has the same problem, so I think it's probably inherent in the design (worryingly).

I have a 61GB music collection, so I thought maybe that was the problem, but yesterday I wiped the iPod and just uploaded 50 tracks. It made no difference.

The only thing I have noticed is that the problem seems to occur more frequently on tracks recorded with a higher bit rate. 95% of my music is recorded at 128kbps; it was only when I got the 160GB iPod that I started recording in 256kbps or Apple Lossless. I still get the very occasional issue with 128kbps tracks, but it's much more prevalent with Lossless.

One other thing which is a bit odd about my setup is that I never use headphones. My iPod is connected to my car stereo via an unpowered dock to line-out cable. I noticed on another forum that somebody else only gets the issue when his iPod is in it's dock and connected to his stereo. I wonder if the issue only manifests itself with line-out. Can anybody confirm that it still occurs with headphones?

mjw1964

Erasmus said:
I have exactly the same problem with my 160GB iPod Classic. During playback I get complete loss of sound for approximately 2 seconds. During this time, the iPod can be controlled normally (i.e. the operating system hasn't frozen or locked up).

Apple replaced my first Classic, but my second one still has the same problem, so I think it's probably inherent in the design (worryingly).

I have a 61GB music collection, so I thought maybe that was the problem, but yesterday I wiped the iPod and just uploaded 50 tracks. It made no difference.

The only thing I have noticed is that the problem seems to occur more frequently on tracks recorded with a higher bit rate. 95% of my music is recorded at 128kbps; it was only when I got the 160GB iPod that I started recording in 256kbps or Apple Lossless. I still get the very occasional issue with 128kbps tracks, but it's much more prevalent with Lossless.

One other thing which is a bit odd about my setup is that I never use headphones. My iPod is connected to my car stereo via an unpowered dock to line-out cable. I noticed on another forum that somebody else only gets the issue when his iPod is in it's dock and connected to his stereo. I wonder if the issue only manifests itself with line-out. Can anybody confirm that it still occurs with headphones?
Yes, it still happens with headphones. I have to say it's very annoying. I've tried not to stress about it, but dangit, my 80gb didn't do it.

kilroy1

spinning hard drive

Does anyone know if the hard drive is suppose to spin everytime you go from playlist to playlist? I thought the hard drive caches playlist?

curtis1

i have two ipods for me and my wife and do not have the same taste in music. does anyone know how to set up two library.

RandomUsername

I'm not sure if this is a bug or negligence on my part; regardless:

I received an 80G iPod Classic for Christmas. I hooked it into my computer and transferred my iTunes library to it (I had had a Nano prior to this). After it transferred, I went to sleep. The following day (today) I checked and it had nothing on it. I hooked it back into the USB and iTunes loaded still saying that it had all the songs in my library on the iPod.

Also, I can't find a way to eject the iPod. When I eject it via iTunes, it still reads "Connected" on the iPod. I have waited for 10 minutes following the ejection via iTunes with no change from the iPod. As such, I manually disconnected it (despite it not being safe).

Is the second problem causing the first? If so, does anyone know how long the iPod takes to verify being ejected?

rosedragoon

Okay, I got a 40 GB Ipod Classic for Christmas (and am very happy) and I got a $15 gift card for Itunes store as well. I bought an album, downloaded it, then tried to transfer it to my Ipod, but it says my software is out of date and that I need to update. Now, I looked for an update (via help menu) but it wouldn't update, so I can't put my new music on my Ipod.

Is there something that is stopping my Ipod from updating? Earlier, I updated it with ease.

mattrix

xmas 160gb classic depression

Hi,

I have recieved for xmas a classic 160gb - am having no end of problems.

Won't auto sync whole library 80gb wont evan sync 10gb of checked songs
It will sync if i choose checked only and say have 10 albums selected. WILL NOT go past 5gb and crashes sayng "wrong volume in drive" "windows delayed write failure" ...have had to many diff error #'s to mention - ie: 1418, 43 etc

I am utterly disgusted at this product. My second 4th gen was fine for 2-3 years (first one hdd died within 6months) its now dead hdd just clicks..... This latest one is so buggy and crap/

Running itunes 7.5 and firmware 1.03 still no success - issues after issues. on a Windows XP pc.

I consider myself fairly tech orientated and have tried everything i know from different hard drives location of songs - deleting library xml files and starting from scratch still no success - bleieve me moving 80gb's of songs back and forward is very time consuming....

Not happy at all APPLE -

Matt

KBS990

Brand new iPod Classic unresponsive w/ black screen

I got a brand new 80 GB iPod Classic this morning along with a Griffin iTrip. I opened the iPod and plugged it into my computer, downloaded the latest updates, uploaded some songs and it worked perfectly. I got in the car and plugged in my iTrip and the screen on the iTrip stayed blank, and it did not work or respond to anything I tried.

When I returned home I went to Griffin's website to troubleshoot the iTrip and it said that the iPod sometimes had trouble syncing with the iTrip and to plug in the iTrip and reset the iPod once or twice by holding the menu and center keys. I did this and the screen blinked once or twice and then went black. The Apple logo never appeared as it said it should. Ever since then my iPod has been in this blank, coma-like state and will not respond to anything.

I tried plugging it into my computer again and it says the iPod cannot be recognized at this time. I have surfed the net for fixes and most just tell me to hold down menu and center as I did before, which has no effect. I have also seen that restarting the iPod requires you to toggle the hold switch before holding menu and center, which the Griffin website did not mention and therefore I did not do. I am wondering if not toggling the hold switch first caused holding menu and center to have some adverse affect on my iPod and whether there is any way for me to get it to work again without having to take it to get serviced. It's not even a day old!