Why Can't I Connect To My School's Wifi?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jRzoFclAy

My school right now has wireless wifi, but I'm not sure what kind of security settings it has. On my Touch, I can actually pick up the signal, AND connect to it, without asking me for a password. But when I open Safari or anything that requires the wifi, it says "Safari can't open the page because it can't find the server." When I go to the wireless settings, it gives me the IP Address and Subnet Mask, but the Router and DNS slots are blank.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks

kornchild2002

It is probably because your school's network is setup so each computer has to be registered first before connecting. So let's say a new teacher comes in and they give them a brand new computer. The school's IT person (normally a dingus who graduated from a school lower than ITT tech) will then come in, mess everything up, and register the computer with their servers. Your iPod touch is not registered so the server is blocking you. That is why your school's wi-fi doesn't contain any type of encryption (like WEP) as outside people can't log on unless their computer is registered.

So it looks like you are stuck. Oh, by school I just assumed that you meant either High School, Junior High, or Mid-High School. Universities normally have some sort of login process in which you register your device with them. You have to type in your university e-mail address and password in order to register your device.

blink4life90

hey im in the same position. my campus currently uses wep enterprise, which isn't supported by the touch yet. i assume your school uses the same wifi connection. it sucks but hopefully apple will update it so the touch can support the enterprise version of wifi...but until then we are sol

jRzoFclAy

kornchild2002 said:
It is probably because your school's network is setup so each computer has to be registered first before connecting. So let's say a new teacher comes in and they give them a brand new computer. The school's IT person (normally a dingus who graduated from a school lower than ITT tech) will then come in, mess everything up, and register the computer with their servers. Your iPod touch is not registered so the server is blocking you. That is why your school's wi-fi doesn't contain any type of encryption (like WEP) as outside people can't log on unless their computer is registered.

So it looks like you are stuck. Oh, by school I just assumed that you meant either High School, Junior High, or Mid-High School. Universities normally have some sort of login process in which you register your device with them. You have to type in your university e-mail address and password in order to register your device.

This is what confuses me. When I'm in the library (yes, this is a high school), I can connect to the wifi with no problem at all. There's also another building in the school where I can get connection to with no problem. Everywhere else, it doesn't work. I have no idea why

volcom88

I use my Touch on my college campus. All i had to do was go to the IT website of my school and register the MAC address of my ipod.

jRzoFclAy

The IT lady in my school is super anal. I asked her to register my ipod, and all she said was "we don't do ipods". I asked why, and she just said "we don't do ipods", as if there was a problem with it before, but the fact is that no one had ever tried to register their ipod, so i dont know what her problem was

Saterik

jRzoFclAy said:
This is what confuses me. When I'm in the library (yes, this is a high school), I can connect to the wifi with no problem at all. There's also another building in the school where I can get connection to with no problem. Everywhere else, it doesn't work. I have no idea why
Maybe because a library is a public area, such as for using laptops, so the connection in there is free for everyone to use.

zardoz66

Most schools will have some level of security (if they have a good IT) Most of them will require you to register the mac address of the device. this can be done 1 of 2 ways, with some automation process or requesting it from IT.

Another way is to protect the wireless is using some sort of wireless login/encryption. now days you will see WPA or WPA enterprise aka WPA2 used.

In most cases you should be able to get the iPod touch on a wireless network. you just might need to go though your IT to get the access needed.

PeariTouch

It happened to me at local coffee shops offering free wifi. I asked the staff why mine could not be connected - they had no clue. There was two others customers - one using laptop and one using iPhone so I asked how they got in - one with laptop had no problem but the other with iPhone had the same issue - he was basically using free wifi from hospital located 1/4 mile away..... Strange.

denewbgp

blink4life90 said:
hey im in the same position. my campus currently uses wep enterprise, which isn't supported by the touch yet. i assume your school uses the same wifi connection. it sucks but hopefully apple will update it so the touch can support the enterprise version of wifi...but until then we are sol
I do hope apple updates the touch so that it can support wep enterprise cause thats what my campus uses

zardoz66

denewbgp said:
I do hope apple updates the touch so that it can support wep enterprise cause thats what my campus uses

WPA2 is wep enterprise