iPod Touch wont unlock

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

beadlien

1 day old Touch wont unlock. It will sync, and restart, but the "Slide to unlock" has no effect so it just sits in the welcome screen. Seemed to full factory restore OK, but still stuck in the screen with planet earth on it. No combination of holding pressing buttons or screen can break it out of whatever is stuck. Can anyone advise of a fix or is it back to the store?

a113524c

Are you sliding the slider correctly? You have to do it slowly and deliberatly and slide it all the way to the end. Does the slider even move?

beadlien

No, there seems to be no reaction from the slider/screen. However, pressing buttons/restoring not working either, so I dont think it is (only) the touchscreen. The OS seems unable to break past the welcome screen. I've just restored again, and this time, half way through the sync (it says Sync in Progress on the screen) iTunes advised me the device was not connected. iPod Touch 1.1.1, iTunes 7.4.2 (4)

j5tar

Website
www.YourFreeiPhone.com
Try sliding it to turn off and see if its the top portion of the touch screen not working or only the bottom. Press and hold the top switch for like 2 secs.

beadlien

No area of the screen reacts.
I have tried pressing and holding both the home button and power button, separately, and together.
If I hold both for 6 seconds, it reboots to the Apple logo. Then it goes to the welcome screen (with the earth on it). Then if I press the home button twice quickly it adds the "play, back fwd" control floating pane over the top. If I press the home button lots of times, it goes to the red "slide to power off" or cancel screen. My calendar events pop up when reminders are due. It's just not accepting any screen control, as if the touch-sensitivity is not working, as the earth screen and power off screens are the only ones I can trigger via the home button.

beadlien

Alas, we have no Apple Store in Australia, so no genius bar. In Sydney there are a few resellers. The reseller's advice was "get it exchanged", but with a three week wait minimum in Australia for new stock, I guess I'm going to be without one until November. Is there no maintenance/firmware/diagnosic mode I can check out the status of my screen with?

It's all adding up to a few disappointments lately: both my new MacBook Pro and iPod Touch failed within 24 hours. Then there are the PR disasters of the handling of the iPhone discount and the bricking of unlocked iPhones. Now I read that the touchscreens might develop faults with use. Should I get my money back and chuck it in for a Vaio/Blackberry/PS3? I've been Apple since '92 but my faith is diminishing. Even Leopard looks underwealming.

GreeKNastY

try resetting by holding the top button and the home button (near the bottom of the ipod) together for a few secs......

GreeKNastY

oh now i see your last sentence...sorry..i dont see why resetting wont work...must be a defect

trafox10

I had that same problem...tried sliding it for half an hour...but still doesnt work. Apparently the touchscreen is faulty...so I took it back to the shop for an exchange. Now enjoying my new touch :)

beadlien

Unfortunately Apple treats Australia like a second class citizen when it comes to providing stock. I'll be lucky if any more iPod Touches are available in Australia before November at the earliest, so I'm stuck with nothing until a replacement arrives. It is odd, that a company which is built around technology doesn't understand that geographical boundaries are becoming increasingly irrelevant. All the product information and marketing is globally available simultaneously online, just not the stock. Australia will (according to my reseller) "probably get the iPhone in Feb 2008, probably". Imagine how I feel when, as a person who works in a technical field, I travel to the US or UK and everyone expects me to have an iPhone and it is still 4 months away from me being able to consider buying one. And if I did go to the trouble and expense of getting one from the US and changing the carrier, Apple would kill the unit. Apple that's poor. Raise your game and release enough stock in markets within reasonable time frames. 6 months later is not reasonable. Apple - when, exactly will a replacement Touch arrive? October? November? ..... : (

johnhenrybonham

I had the same thing happen to me. first try this: hook the ipod up to the computer like you are gonna sync it. then with it still connected, hold the two buttons down until you reset it. this will reset the firmware and software. ps .. if this does not work. let the touch sit overnight and try to unlock in the morning. this worked for me.

a113524c

johnhenrybonham said:
I had the same thing happen to me. first try this: hook the ipod up to the computer like you are gonna sync it. then with it still connected, hold the two buttons down until you reset it. this will reset the firmware and software. ps .. if this does not work. let the touch sit overnight and try to unlock in the morning. this worked for me.
This as already been suggested.

johnhenrybonham

a113524c said:
This as already been suggested.
Really? I do not see where the reset was suggested while hooked up to the computer? This was suggested to me by Apple phone support and is different than just a hard reset. But what do I know anyway, my ipod had the same problem and is now working

a113524c

johnhenrybonham said:
Really? I do not see where the reset was suggested while hooked up to the computer? This was suggested to me by Apple phone support and is different than just a hard reset. But what do I know anyway, my ipod had the same problem and is now working
Sorry, I missed the part about the computer:eek:

beadlien

Probable Defect I Think

Thanks guys, but resets both connected or not to the computer = same result.
I'll be taking it back to the store today.
Thanks for the suggestions. Weird how it worked for 1 day then stopped completely.

beadlien

*UPDATE* 16.11.2007 - It was indeed a fault display. I got a replacement unit, but the new one has trouble recognising a press in the bottom right hand of the screen (portrait) where the 'skip forward' button is when you are listening to music. Grrrr.