iPod Classic 'Buglist'

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Tweekish

For some reason all of my videos are listed in reverse order, when I click on one to watch, it plays me a completely different video. They are listed wrongly but play through in the correct order.

Anybody else have that?

Mawdryn

Website
www.myspace.com
Tweekish said:
For some reason all of my videos are listed in reverse order, when I click on one to watch, it plays me a completely different video. They are listed wrongly but play through in the correct order.

Anybody else have that?
I've had that happen a few times. I found it amusing, but it would be really annoying if it happened all the time.

I'd go to music videos, select one, and it would play something completely different. Just for fun, I went back to the list, selected the wrong one it was playing, and it would play the one I originally wanted. The videos were listed in alphabetical order on the screen as usual, but somehow internally, the iPod thought they were in reverse alphabetical order.

I have no idea why this happened, or for that matter, why it stopped. I did not restat the iPod or anything. It just returned to normal on its own. I couldn't recreate the situation if I tried. Like I said, it was just a few times, but you are not the only one. This did happen to me too.

ChrisB in SEA

more at the door...

Let's see:

+ Unable to see photos except in slideshow
+ Some songs stop abruptly without warning, approximately 20 seconds in. There's no apparent rhyme or reason to this and it only affects a few of them.
+ Videos freeze on last frame (or so). The only way around this is to fast forward through it.
+ Click on the first track on the track listing and I get the second track, occasionally.
+ Slow menus
+ "P" while syncing

I don't know if this is a bug, but unlike the 5G, podcasts don't stop playing when you've finished listening to them. Instead, they go on to the next one in the list, like any other album/playlist. Given that I actually like keeping a bunch of these on my iPod when I'm out and about, it's kind of a pain.

And add me to the roster of people who doesn't like the clock "screen saver".

Tweekish

Mawdryn said:
I've had that happen a few times. I found it amusing, but it would be really annoying if it happened all the time.
It did provide me with many minutes of fun trying to work out which video was which, im glad that it could go away by itself though.

Are there more bugs with the 160gb than the 80gb? I got the impression that the bigger one had more laggy problems and so on....

cycler15

I've never had any issues with iTunes freezing or synch issues.

These are my 2 bug complaints:

1. Give us the option to turn off the stupid screensaver clock!!!!

2. Sometimes when playing an album it will skip a song (it's not on shuffle mode). For example, when song 2 ends it will start playing song 4. When I hit the back button real quick it then plays song 3.

markmcrobie

My new 80GB Classic iPod doesn't display the letter Ø (as in William Ørbit).

My old 5.5 displayed it correctly as William Ørbit, my new Classic shows Willian rbit.

Other non-English characters display ok (for example é)

Someone else noted that umalat (sp?) (I think it's the U with 2 dots above it) doesn't display either.

CaptainJack3101

IPOD Classic and Pioneer DEH-P6900UB

I decided to purchase the Pioneer DEH-P6900UB for my car to allow me to play and display music from my IPOD Classic 160GB. I went to Circuit City and spoke with the sales person and explained what I wanted to do. He suggested the DEH=P6900UB.

I purchased the unit and had it installed, but the installer then told me they did not have the IPOD to USB cable needed to connect that I could order one from Kruthfield.

The Pioneer DEH-P6900UB could not see the IPOD when connected to the car stereo.

I contacted customer Service from Pioneer four times and finally was told that this unit, the PIONEER DEH-P6900UB (even though it states in the manual that it does support 5th generation or later IPODS) WILL NOT SUPPORT the IPOD Classic.

PIONEER Blames Apple.

I am left out.

:confused:

afx

ALAC playback pauses 3/4 into the song most of the time
Menu doesn't save it's items, so you have to remove them everytime you reboot the ipod

160gb btw

Mawdryn

Website
www.myspace.com
CaptainJack3101 said:
I decided to purchase the Pioneer DEH-P6900UB for my car to allow me to play and display music from my IPOD Classic 160GB. I went to Circuit City and spoke with the sales person and explained what I wanted to do. He suggested the DEH=P6900UB.

I purchased the unit and had it installed, but the installer then told me they did not have the IPOD to USB cable needed to connect that I could order one from Kruthfield.

The Pioneer DEH-P6900UB could not see the IPOD when connected to the car stereo.

I contacted customer Service from Pioneer four times and finally was told that this unit, the PIONEER DEH-P6900UB (even though it states in the manual that it does support 5th generation or later IPODS) WILL NOT SUPPORT the IPOD Classic.

PIONEER Blames Apple.

I am left out.

:confused:
Does the Pioneer unit have a manual mode where it doesn't display the info? I have a similar problem with the USA-SPEC-TOY12 adapter for my Toyota truck. It works perfectly in automatic mode with my 5G iPod, but the Classic sticks on the "connected" screen. So I can play it, but I can't select what will play. It does work in manual mode though. I sent this problem to Apple weeks ago, as I'm sure many others did. I fully expect this to be corrected in a firmware update soon.

porieux

mkummer said:
3. Large libraries brings the iPod to its knees.
I initially wanted to sync about 20000 songs in one go. Result - the iPod did reset itself after disconnecting and never came back. i had to restore the iPod.
Then I went in smaller parcels. Result: Until about 5000-6000 songs all runs fine. Then the eject problem starts to come up. After 15000-16000 songs the iPod start to crash - restting itself or freezing. This increases in time. Now I have reached c 19000 songs and the freezes are omnipresent. For instance: if I wake the iPod up and start Klon###e, the spinning wheel comes up and freezes. Help: Reset
4. The Reset takes for ever - about 3-4 minutes.
5. Disabling the cover art helps a little but not permanent: the problems come up about 5000 songs later.
Facit: I think the new OS of the iPod cant handle too any files and needs some maintenance. This is obvious with the cover flow problems.

mk

This sounds just like the problems I have. With older iPods I could see someone saying 'well your library is kinda big' but if they are going to offer a 160GB iPod they need to support large libaries....it's the whole point!!

dwhoward

When you have music videos in a playlist, the artist name does not always show correctly when viewing as a video playlist. The artist name does show correctly if viewing as a music playlist.

Thumbnails for music videos don't all display. If you have many (100+) music videos, maybe half display and then the botom half of the list will not show the thumbnail no matter how long you wait for the hardrive / cache to catch up.

Setting backlight to 30 seconds, the backlight goes out at 20 seconds.

Videos sometimes freeze at the last frame

P in the title bar while syncing.

Still sluggish compared to 5.5g (even after latest firmware update).

Occassionally notice that playlist will not show on the iPod despite the fact that everything is set to sync. Sync again and they'll come back. Same for certain songs or videos; they'll periodically not show in the list.

Maybe not a bug, but an intentional change from the 5.5G that bothers me....with the 5.5G, you could go into the video playlists and it would play music videos and songs off the same list. Can't do this anymore. If in video playlists, it will only show/play videos.

Agree with previous poster....if you have many music videos, you should have grouping by artist instead of just listing them all alphabetically.

A lot of bugs Apple...Hoping for a new firmware update soon.

slumpy

The iPod Classic crawls to a halt when you browse through playlists. The screen simply freezes: pauses of 10 seconds or more are no exception. This renders playlists almost unusable. The firmware 1.0.1 update didn't improve anything.

Playcounts, ratings (!) and Podcast played/skipped information are not copied from the iPod to iTunes.

My user experience is negative, to say the least. I have always considered the "wow experience" a big part of Apple's products. This is my fifth or so iPod and I am very unimpressed. Not again will I buy an Apple product before having read any user reviews.

I would never recommend the iPod Classic to anyone. Apple should never have released this product at this stage, period. It is surprising to see that Steve Jobs and his team can mess up things so badly.

ltspongebob

Problems I've had with my Classic that I've never had with any of my other iPods:

1. Sometimes starts playing track 2, even if I select track 1.
2. Sometimes cuts out for 2 seconds while playing, not consistent to a track...
3. Browsing playlists, iPod sometimes freezes.
4. iTunes very slow when Classic mounted.
5. Sluggish.

I want to like it, but I feel apple really dropped the ball. I will not be buying another ipod upon launch, I will wait for the first or second firmware update... Just like Microsoft...

Dissapointed in apple...

Sponge

djb

Website
www.balderstone.ca
Playlist limit?

I just received a replacement Classic 160 from Apple. The first one locked up somewhere between 11K and 24K tracks loaded.

This one seemed to as well on first sync. I manually added all my tracks, and all is well so far but I wonder if there isn't some limit on the number of playlists this thing can handle.

So far it's been frustrating.

brittreid

I've had 3, 4, and 5, but yet to experience 1 and 2.

I've gotta say I was lucky that loading it wasn't a problem. I copied all of my playlists via PodUtil, then synced to the empty unit. It took a couple of hours to load the 14K plus songs, but I didn't start experiencing the lockups/freezes until I started editing playlists.

I didn't see it upthread -- does anybody know what the P stands for when the Classic is in iTunes?

chippe01

brittreid said:
I've had 3, 4, and 5, but yet to experience 1 and 2.

I've gotta say I was lucky that loading it wasn't a problem. I copied all of my playlists via PodUtil, then synced to the empty unit. It took a couple of hours to load the 14K plus songs, but I didn't start experiencing the lockups/freezes until I started editing playlists.

I didn't see it upthread -- does anybody know what the P stands for when the Classic is in iTunes?
What "P" ? Where? I don't see this. On the iPod, it just shows "iPod" in the middle of the title bar.

paranoidxe

chippe01 said:
What "P" ? Where? I don't see this. On the iPod, it just shows "iPod" in the middle of the title bar.
Sync it to your computer, then look at the screen the title bar will show "P"

css1323

chippe01 said:
Make sure the option "time in title" is enabled. (I covered this on page 2 I think).

And then try syncing the iPod Classic to iTunes. After that, look at the top and you'll see it. ;)

superbonz

Here's the list of bugs I noticed...

1. When you hard reset the ipod it does not only resets the customized menu (someone posted this a few days ago), it also resets the time & date.

2. The select button does not work in saving a playing track in the "to go list"

3. This made me restore my ipod :mad: - I automatically sync my podcast video because i can't transfer it by just drag & drop, nothing happens. When I uncheck the sync button in the podcast tab, it removes the podcast icon in the ipod but it didn't removed the files.. it's still there and it occupies space and i can't access the podcast in my ipod to delete it.. it says that "no podcasts" but the video "used space" in "about menu" still includes the file size of the podcasts. When i tried syncing it again it says that there's no space available