REVISED & UPDATED: The CONSOLIDATED "corrupt file" and "run chkdsk" thread.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Legato2471

Hey iLounge forums, glad I found you.

I have a new 80 GB Ipod Video that I got this Christmas. I've never had any problems with it up until yesterday.

I try to hook up my ipod up to my computer and Itunes says my Ipod is corrupt and needs to be restored to factory settings.

Now that alone upset me but I keep my stuff backed up so it doesn't really bother me that much, but when I tried to restore my ipod I got Error 1418, which according to apple is a hardware problem with the USB Drivers, which as it turns out is true.

When I plug in my ipod, external cd burner, or USB 1GB Hard drive they all show up on my computer but when I open them there's nothing in them.

When I disconnect my Ipod it stays on the "No" symbol screen that says Do not disconnect and when I plug it back in windows says it does not recognize this device because there are no drivers installed for it. What can I do about this?

Vanessa21

so confused, please help!

I am having a very similar problem with my iPod Nano. I just received it and I should have known I was going to have problems. lol.

I tried to plug it into my computer for the first time after downloading iTunes and received the message that it needed to be formatted. So, I did this. After it was finished it told me that it had detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted and I could either restore it or unplug it and plug it back in. So, I did both of these and the cycle is just repeating itself.

I have been trying to figure it out by reading these forums but my head is swimming. I have a feeling that part of the problem stems from a problem I am having anyway with my computer. When I plug in the iPod or my Fuji digital camera my computer (which runs off Windows) recognizes that there is a removable disk but if I click on the removable disk under my computer it tells me that the drive needs to be formatted. I have plugged in my camera before and just went ahead and clicked to format the drive and it doesn't complete the format anyway. I have downloaded firmware for the camera and it still doesn't work so I didn't know if maybe this is a problem that is contributing to my iPod problem. I am trying to figure out the deal with both today and trying to avoid taking it to a shop to have it fixed. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

juh88

iTunes cannot read contents of my iPod

Hi. I have a serious issue! When I plug my ipod to the computer, a sign pops up on itunes saying that it cannot read contents of my iPod. It tells me I need to click on the "summary tab" and restore factory settings! Then, when I click the restore button another sign pops up saying that it cannot connect to the ipod server. All memory on my ipod was erased somehow. I have lost over 1000 songs and nearly 50 videos now. The worst part is that it doesn't allow me to add new songs + videos. Does anyone know a way I can still get songs onto my ipod? I'm pretty sure I can still add songs to the hard drive though i haven't tried to since this incident. Hopefully the ipod isn't broken. I hope you guys can help me out.
thanx

2pac

my check disc is broken or its something wrong with it ... :/ Is it possible to check it?

soadspecialk

I'm trying to transfer my iTunes to an external drive and when I consolidate...I get an error saying "Copying Music failed an unknown error occurred (-69). I've tried method 2 and it didn't work...and my iTunes software is updated. Any suggestions????

Thanks!

briannpw

Okay. So I've looked through most of the post in this thread and none can seem to answer my question(s), or I maybe just be missing something.
Now, I've just recently bought my friends Ipod Video[30GB] The ipod is in good condition and when I bought it it already had songs on it. Worked fine. The trouble started when I got home and plugged it into my Windows Inspiron 1000. Now I have an Ipod Video 30 GB as well. Mine is old and busted up, another story, but it synched the perfectly with my notebook. Anyway I plug this one in and it takes a short time for itunes to show me the summary page. A window pops up that says "autoplay" and then itunes shows the summary page. As well as another window that says, "iTunes has detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted. You may need to restore this ipod before it can be used with iTunes. You may also try disconnecting and reconnecting the ipod." I press ok, restore the iPod. Then several minutes later the same message appears. I did this several times before I started searching for some answers. If someone could please help me that would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-Brian

GadgetGuru72

briannpw said:
Okay. So I've looked through most of the post in this thread and none can seem to answer my question(s), or I maybe just be missing something.
Now, I've just recently bought my friends Ipod Video[30GB] The ipod is in good condition and when I bought it it already had songs on it. Worked fine. The trouble started when I got home and plugged it into my Windows Inspiron 1000. Now I have an Ipod Video 30 GB as well. Mine is old and busted up, another story, but it synched the perfectly with my notebook. Anyway I plug this one in and it takes a short time for itunes to show me the summary page. A window pops up that says "autoplay" and then itunes shows the summary page. As well as another window that says, "iTunes has detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted. You may need to restore this ipod before it can be used with iTunes. You may also try disconnecting and reconnecting the ipod." I press ok, restore the iPod. Then several minutes later the same message appears. I did this several times before I started searching for some answers. If someone could please help me that would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-Brian
Brian-

The information in this thread is now very outdated. It dealt with a specific issue that affected 4th generation iPods and has now been resolved. I have edited the 1st post in this thread to reflect that the information contained herein is not relevant to 5th generation iPods.

Your problem, while similar, is not identical to what was discussed in this thread.

In any event, are you sure that you did a full "restore"? I ask because you said "a few minutes later" the same problem occurred. A full "restore" would take longer than a few minutes. So, make sure you've done a complete and full restore. If the iPod was not wiped clean and you were not forced to start from scratch with syncing the iPod again, you did not do a full restore.

If you did do a full restore and you get the same "corruption" error message on startup, you may unfortunately have a failed hard drive. I realize that you said that iPod looks great, but exterior looks don't always give you a window into the quality/condition of the hard drive.

If you've done a full restore and it didn't help, you may be forced to look into one of the iPod "rescue" places that can repair damaged iPods.

Last edited:

tigerlilly1406

Hi,

I have been experiencing the same problem with my 5th generation 30g Ipod Video.

I purchased the ipod over 3 weeks ago, since then I have not been able to download one thing to my ipod as I am unable to sync the ipod. I have downloaded itunes and once my ipod is connected I instantly receive this message "your ipod needs to be reformatted for windows. Would you like to run itunes to restore you ipod now?", i click "ok" only to receive the next message "itunes has detected an ipod that appears to be corrupted. You may need to restore this ipod before it can be used with itunes. You may also try disconnecting and reconnecting you ipod" I again clink "ok" and then click "restore" my ipod goes through what appears to be the process of restoring the ipod it takes only a few minutes as i assume this is because there is nothing on the ipod. once the ipod has finished restoring and my ipod has restarted I am not given the option to sync my ipod instead the same message reappears advising the ipod is corrupt. The "sync ipod" in intunes is not highlighted so I cant even do it manually, I have restored the ipod many times, I have gone through all the Q. and A. soloutions provided on the apple website and I am still unable to get past restoring the ipod. I have even contacted the service and support centre only to be told to go into my local Apple service centre for assitance where I was told my ipod is working fine and there is no more that they can do

I am assuming the issue is between itunes and my computer, but i have no idea how to fix it as I feel ive tried everything.

Please help before my ipod is trown through the window.

GadgetGuru72

tigerlilly1406 said:
Hi,

I have been experiencing the same problem with my 5th generation 30g Ipod Video.

I purchased the ipod over 3 weeks ago, since then I have not been able to download one thing to my ipod as I am unable to sync the ipod. I have downloaded itunes and once my ipod is connected I instantly receive this message "your ipod needs to be reformatted for windows. Would you like to run itunes to restore you ipod now?", i click "ok" only to receive the next message "itunes has detected an ipod that appears to be corrupted. You may need to restore this ipod before it can be used with itunes. You may also try disconnecting and reconnecting you ipod" I again clink "ok" and then click "restore" my ipod goes through what appears to be the process of restoring the ipod it takes only a few minutes as i assume this is because there is nothing on the ipod. once the ipod has finished restoring and my ipod has restarted I am not given the option to sync my ipod instead the same message reappears advising the ipod is corrupt. The "sync ipod" in intunes is not highlighted so I cant even do it manually, I have restored the ipod many times, I have gone through all the Q. and A. soloutions provided on the apple website and I am still unable to get past restoring the ipod. I have even contacted the service and support centre only to be told to go into my local Apple service centre for assitance where I was told my ipod is working fine and there is no more that they can do

I am assuming the issue is between itunes and my computer, but i have no idea how to fix it as I feel ive tried everything.

Please help before my ipod is trown through the window.
As I said above and as I highlighted in red text, the topic being discussed in this thread is not relevant to 5th generation iPods.

This thread is limited to a problem that afflicted prior iPods, and dealt with corrupt FILES that users were prompted to fix by running "chkdsk."

The problem you are experiencing is unrelated.

That having been said, if you are receiving a corrupt error message immediately after restoring the iPod, it seems likely that you have a significant problem with the hard drive in your iPod. Since it's only 3 weeks old, you should immediately exchange it for a new one. I would have normally recommended things like trying to connect it to another computer, but since you're within what is likely a 30 day return period, I'd just exchange it now because it seems highly likely that you got a defective iPod.

Giraffe_Tree

I recently tried your BobZoron's method for fixing the iPod error. However, now when I try to get into iTunes, it gives me an error message that says:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime error!

Program: C:\Program files\iTunes\iTunes.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Right after I ran BobZoron's fix, iTunes worked fine, but now it doesn't. There was a thing in my Chkdsk utility that was not included in BobZoron's fix: after the chkdsk ran, it asked me if I wanted to keep the files. I said yes. It that what could be causing this in my iTunes?

GadgetGuru72

Giraffe_Tree said:
I tried that twice. It didn't work. I still get the same, exact error message.
Unfortunately, then, I do not personally know how to resolve your problem. I'd recommend posting your question in the iTunes sub-forum, because nobody is going to see your question in this thread.