iPod drivers won't install.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Jesse Fair

Hi-

I'm on a windows XP and i cant get my iPod drivers to install, my computer detects my iPod but when i try to use windows to install my iPod drivers it doesnt work.

I can't figure it out. My iPod is detected by my computer but because the drivers arent installed (and wont install) None of my programs (Including the iPod program made by macintosh) detect it.

I thought about formatting my iPod but to do that it has to show up in my drive list in My Computer, which it doesnt do either...

Can anyone help me I really want to use my new iPod and this is really making me angry.

Ps- I know my iPod isnt faulty because it works fine on my macintosh, I ripped a CD onto my iPod just today. unfortunately, all my songs are on my windows and i'd really like it to work.

ashawley

Website
www.
Well, what kind of connection are you using? Firewire or USB. If firewire what kind of card?

What shows up on the iPod when you connect it?

Try running the Updater (Start>Programs>iPod>Updater) w/o the MMJB iPod Plugin installed. That beast can cause connection problems. Also, try it w/o the iPod Manager installed.

Adam

Jesse Fair

Ok-

Im using a firewire card ( I shoulve said that :eek: )

The company that makes the card is called Syba-

Its a firewire Ieee 1394A Card.

Also my iPod doesnt show 'DoNotDisconnect' when its plugged in, it simply shows the menu or (If its off) a big battery that says Charging...

As for those two things youve told me to try, neither work.

The only possible thing i can think of is that my Firewire card doesnt support iPods but i dont see why it shouldn't i mean its just a card.... Plus my computer actually detects the iPod.

Should i be installing the drivers using the windows Wizard?

This is what happens when i do that-

It says it detects the ipod, then when i press install drivers (I have my disk in and the .exe for the new patch on my desktop) it says Searching for a little while and then starts moving files from one folder to the next, then suddenly stops and says

An error occoured during the installation of this device:

The data is invalid.

Pleasseee help

Thanks

ashawley

Website
www.
Here's what I don't get....you say your PC detects your iPod, but the iPod doesn't show "Do Not Disconnect". This means that your computer hasn't detected the iPod. How is it detecting it? What is happening that makes you think it's detecting it?

What I would try is this:

Open up Device Manager and uninstall the firewire card, then reboot. Let windows reinstall the drivers for it.

Then connect the iPod, make sure you don't have any of the Apple software installed. That's the MMJB iPod Plugin and the iPod Manager, you can leave the Updater installed.

You goal is to get "Do Not Disconnect" to appear on the iPod and to get the iPod to show up in My Computer.

There should be no drivers required for the iPod itself. Windows has what it needs to recognize it already. It treats it just as any other external hard drive.

Adam

Jesse Fair

Well i know it detects it because it says "Windows has detected new hardware "Mac_Ipod" or something like that, and it shows up in my device manager

morvan

First sorry for my bad english ;)
Well i've got the same problem. I will bring a few details, i'm using windows xp, firewire card, all patch, and the last ipod and itunes software :
- The iPod is like a corrupted hard drive, so xp take a few seconds more for boot up.
- He doesn't appear anymore in the explorer
- In the device manager, the ipod appears with an error panel, and it says that the device can't run (code 10)
- The ipod screen only show the menu bar, and not the "don't disconnect" or "you can disconnect" usual message when connected to windows
- the ipod updater can't restore the ipod because it can't detect it (####ed)
- when i try to reinstall the ipod software, the ipod is not detected.
- itunes don't detect ipod to
- i reinstalled the firewire card but the problem is still there
- in the ipod "about" menu, it says that i've got 808333312 songs files (!!!!!), capacity 0, free space 0, version 2.1, S/N U234XXXXXX (my ipod serial), model P8976FD, and format unknown.

So the hard drive is corrupted, and i can't restore it. Any ideas ??

morvan

Again some details :
- The ipod doesn't shut down anymore (and it don't play any songs or anything)
- I've tried with another ipod and the firewirecard and ipod works perfectly
- I have tested with two different cables to, no result
- The defective ipod had "ghost" menu, a blank line with an arrow above (like a normal menu but without text).

A lot of people in this forum seems to have the same problem with xp/2k operating systems, hope apple will find a fix soon.

amkaos

simple fix

hi:
i have seen this exact problem many times. in the past, the solution has been so simple; too simple... reset ipod--turn off ipod then press 'play/pause and menu' buttons at the same time..this fixed before..